Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Do you paint your FFP game figures?
Yes. One day I will paint them all. Waghhh haa haa!!
No I can't be bothered, afford it, haven't the time, I don't feel the need.
Maybe but I don't know where to start.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Have you painted your figures?
08-20-2011, 06:19 AM
RE: Have you painted your figures?
I've only ever worked with acrylics, with the exception of a brief foray into chalk painting.

citadel paints are stupid expensive. I pay about 4 bucks per pot from the only retailer within 60 miles of me.

I really want to try p3 paints, I hear they're comparable quality and I know they're much cheaper. they sell various six-color kits at $15, once I get my mini stuff back from my parent's house I'm planning to invest in some p3.

reaper is cheap too, about $2 per pot, but I've never heard anything as to quality.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2011, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2011 11:11 AM by samuraitrev.)
Esturk's right GW paints are about the most expensive out there. However I use them myself because they are good quality paints. I have seen amazing results from acrylics or enamels using various paint manufacturers. I believe this nulifies the argument which paints are best (quality wise) as I think with a good artist they could work wonders with any old paint pot.

Price wise is a different matter altogether. All I can suggest is you shop around find some paints which you like (quality and price) and go with them. Many people are anti GW and won't buy any of their stuff per say and they have their own reasons that's up to them. Painting's a great hobby finding the right equipment is all part of it just like finding the right techniques for the model you are painting.Zombie17
08-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Quality definitely helps though, I've tried generic acrylic craft paints before like folk art and apple barrel and it was nothing but an uphill battle. The end results were also very disappointing.

Quality paints that go on smoothly, mix readily, and don't rub/flake off easily will always make the mini look better in the end as you wont have to constantly fix problem areas that are the fault of the paint and not the artist.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
08-21-2011, 11:28 AM
You're right quality does help but it's not the defining factor. That lies with the artist and their experience and creativity. I think if you find a quality line of paints and you can afford it, go with it. I've bought poor paints before and the results were undesirable. Although it's possible I got the balance wrong as some paints have a different mixing ratio with regards to added water (this was before all the wonderful advice on the net).

Let us know how you get on with P3 and/or the reaper paints. Maybe you could let people know what you think of them and review them on here. I'd be interested.
08-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Me too. I am seriously considering switching over to acrylics to give it a try, and i would like to know what you think of whatever you try. Maybe it would be cool if we all started one thread for reviewing our paint brands that we use; list approx price and pros/cons. We could also make entries for primers, finishing sprays, etc.
06-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I must be in the minority here. LOL! I actually started a thread on it just recently because I hadn't seen this thread.

I LOVE the painted versions of seen, but for some reason that I can't even quite explain myself, I prefer the figures as is vs. painted. At least in this case. Like I said, I'm really not even sure why. There is just something quaint and "old school" about them, like they belong in a board game. I just love it.

Absolutely no offense intended toward those who do paint theirs. I have seen some AWESOME paint jobs. Personally, in this case I just like them the way they are.
09-29-2012, 07:41 AM
It would be fun but I'm worried that I will mess them up and in the process ruin my games. But I do like the detail that goes into it. Also I'm jealous of those people who have the talent to do it them selves.
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
(09-29-2012 07:41 AM)Karden5048 Wrote:  It would be fun but I'm worried that I will mess them up and in the process ruin my games. But I do like the detail that goes into it. Also I'm jealous of those people who have the talent to do it them selves.

My advice to you karden is practice on a few Zombies. Just take your time and if it helps follow one of my guides or have a look for guides on the net. I would like to see the results. All I can say is painting is a very rewarding hobby in itself and painting models for your favourite games only adds to the enjoyment of gaming.

For practical reasons the characters will be more easily recognisable.
Aesthetically painted models look more pleasing to look at. For example a putrid green Zombie covered in oozing gore. Has more of a psychological effect than a plain grey one. You're more likely to get comments like eww that's gross/awesome.
Another advantage is added realism. You can go as far as you like with this. All my Zombies are individual figures and I have added and props such as Gasoline cans, Truck, well, Bio Canisters, Book and Old Betsy. Some painters/model builders have even gone as far as building a 3D Woodinvale with standing walls and props. Check out Canadian Pitbull's work the name of another Woodinvale town builder escapes me.

To conclude these are just my reasons for painting. I find it therapeutic. Like I said, start small with a Zombie or 2. Use an old cup for a water pot, find somewhere with plenty of daylight if possible. A comfortable chair and some background music can be a bonus too.Two things I wouldn't scrimp on is buying a decent brush or 2. I recommend Games Workshop's Basecoat, Detail and Fine Detail brushes. I use Games Workshop's paints but if I were buying new now I would go for the Vallejo paint range.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, however basic, just ask. I'm here everyday. That goes for anyone else reading this who's thinking of giving painting a go. What are you waiting for?Watchmen02
09-29-2012, 12:15 PM
(08-17-2011 11:11 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  @OD what is this Hell project? I would like to hear about it.

Well a year plus to respond but here it is;

The Hell Project(Unter dem Doppel Adler in Hölle)
-Under the double Eagle in Hell-

The Campaign

The purpose of Unter dem Doppel Adler in Hölle
is to provide a background to generate
battles between the 17th Century Holy Roman
Empire & the Forces of Hell.

The Empire seeks to conquer Hell Level by Level &
the Demonic forces seek to stop them.The futility of
actually conquering Hell is lost in the religious fervor
& real politic of the times.It amuses his Satanic Majesty
to let the mortals try.

Roll d6 to determine Game

1-5-Linear Campaign(Minatures using BattleLore & 10mm
WarMaster figs)

6-Special-Roll d6
Odd= Lost Cities of Rome(6mm minatures using the Battu
Board Game).
Even=New Jerusalem-Roll d-6

1=Play ARCANA(Card Game from FFG)
2-4=Play Claustrophobia
5-6= Play New Jerusalem(The Cadwallon Board Game)

The Basic Background Fluff:

The brutality of the 30 Years War reached new heights when
General Tilly's Imperial Forces sacked the city of
Magdeburg in 1631 & set off an orgy of rape,pillage & plunder.
So great was the blood shed that it steeped into the earth
in such vast quantities that it opened a portal to Hell.

The victorious Catholic forces lost no time in exploring
this gaping portal & discovered to their horror it
was a Hell Gate.Brief clashes with demonic forces
who resisted the humans exploration soon reached
the Imperial Court at Wen and the Pope in Rome.

Emperor Ferdinand II anxious not to be distracted
from his crusade to rid Protestantism from the Empire,
was disposed to order the sealing of the portal.
Pope Urban VIII was however appalled at the blasphemy
of the Hell Gate.He also was seeking ways to limit
the power of the Hapsburg's who although Catholic
presented too much concentration of power in their control
of both Spain & The Holy Roman Empire.This power
threated the Papal States in Italy which were sandwiched
between Spain & the Empire.

Pope Urban decided the Hell Gate was the perfect
distraction to keep the expansive Ferdinand occupied.
The Pope invoked a Crusade to cleanse Hell & requested
that Ferdinand provide the forces.

Ferdinand reluctant to put aside his campaigns in Germany,
nevertheless could not ignore the Papal obligation
placed on him.He therefore instructed General Tilly to
make some forces available for the conquest of Hell.

Thus the cleansing of Hell was begun as a poor stepchild
effort,the Emperor supporting it enough to show his
obedience to Papal wishes but not enough to interfere
with his war against the Protestants.

The whole thing is based on The Helldorado Minatures
Game world but follows Dante Hell as to the 9 Hells.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-30-2012, 08:05 AM
(09-29-2012 10:44 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  
(09-29-2012 07:41 AM)Karden5048 Wrote:  It would be fun but I'm worried that I will mess them up and in the process ruin my games. But I do like the detail that goes into it. Also I'm jealous of those people who have the talent to do it them selves.

My advice to you karden is practice on a few Zombies. Just take your time and if it helps follow one of my guides or have a look for guides on the net. I would like to see the results. All I can say is painting is a very rewarding hobby in itself and painting models for your favourite games only adds to the enjoyment of gaming.

For practical reasons the characters will be more easily recognisable.
Aesthetically painted models look more pleasing to look at. For example a putrid green Zombie covered in oozing gore. Has more of a psychological effect than a plain grey one. You're more likely to get comments like eww that's gross/awesome.
Another advantage is added realism. You can go as far as you like with this. All my Zombies are individual figures and I have added and props such as Gasoline cans, Truck, well, Bio Canisters, Book and Old Betsy. Some painters/model builders have even gone as far as building a 3D Woodinvale with standing walls and props. Check out Canadian Pitbull's work the name of another Woodinvale town builder escapes me.

To conclude these are just my reasons for painting. I find it therapeutic. Like I said, start small with a Zombie or 2. Use an old cup for a water pot, find somewhere with plenty of daylight if possible. A comfortable chair and some background music can be a bonus too.Two things I wouldn't scrimp on is buying a decent brush or 2. I recommend Games Workshop's Basecoat, Detail and Fine Detail brushes. I use Games Workshop's paints but if I were buying new now I would go for the Vallejo paint range.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, however basic, just ask. I'm here everyday. That goes for anyone else reading this who's thinking of giving painting a go. What are you waiting for?Watchmen02

Thanks I will definitely practice this and let you know how it goes. I just need to get the stuff now. I will keep you posted as I get farther down the road.