Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hell Train & Lost Tombe(SoB)
07-04-2023, 02:14 PM
Hell Train & Lost Tombe(SoB)
The Frogs are adding a new KS for SoB-here's a run down from
FPS of BGG

For people who didn't watch the recent preview stream here is a quick summary of whats coming (probably missed many things though/made some errors) -

Kickstarter starting 13th July - Lost Tombs of Khamuntet (1930's Egypt setting) and The Impossible Hell Train

Lost Tombs has the Egyptian tombs on one side and the Sunken City of Pharroxx on the other
4 Heroes (Professor, Archeologist, Mechanic, and Soldier of Fortune) - Professor has a deck of specialities to draw from at the beginning, so can be a professor of physics or astronomy etc.
Enemies - Scarab Swarms (x12), Anubis Jackals (x3), Crypt Mummies (x6), Cult of Horus - human cultists (x6) and a Tomb King - XL animated statue (x1)
The Town is going back to Cairo
Not just enemies to fight but traps to overcome. Heroes can collect 'Glory' tokens, and there are two part artifacts (bit like how its done in the Fortune & Glory game it seems)
The background of Pharroxx is that is/was run buy a race of ancient vampires that were rivals of the gods of ancient egypt

The Impossible Hell Train is a full old west standalone core set with new heroes/town etc.
4 Heroes - Bounty Hunter, Cavalry Officer, Reporter and a Rail Worker (huge guy with a hammer)
Enemies - Train Robbers - both mounted and unmounted, Soulless - bit like hungry dead but with luggage! (x12), Grotesques - large size flying creatures (x3) and the XL Hellborn Engineer - bit like a steam powered chaos dreadnought from warhammer 40k!
Train Cars tiles, with Hell train versions on the reverse, and seperate rooftop tiles (some with hatches), also a seperate board for the ground/track for missions that can involve moving on and off the train - robbers for example riding along side then jumping onto the train. The train tiles have differant links to normal so the tiles can move about a bit - ie won't be a rigid straight line, you can curve the train around corners! The train also has a speed track, and the speed can effect things in the game.
The Town sounds like it will similiar to the Frontier Town (hopefully you can combine the two).

The showed a lot of the miniatures and some artwork in the stream (no tiles though). Interesting the core egypt set doesn't seem to have any specific miniatures for the pharroxx world (probably just uses variants of egypt ones for the moment - I am sure specific ones will be stretch goals in the kickstarter). They didn't mention anything other than the new core sets (saving it for the kickstarter), other than there will be alt-genders as usual and there will be at least two kickstarter exclusive heroes (one for each setting).

Probably many other details I have left out but it all looks pretty amazing.

Here's the UTUBE from FFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzOjFpxLKrQ

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2023, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2023 04:43 PM by Raynor.)
RE: Hell Train & Lost Tombe(SoB)
Whoops! You beat me to it! Amazing news, but I'm incredibly conflicted.

I went out to the Origins game fair last month and during the car ride I made the hard decision to get rid of Shadows of Brimstone. I got back and posted the whole collection for sale just a week ago.

Meanwhile, 1930's pulp adventure and the Egyptian setting here is like an S tier setting for me. Shadows of Brimstone is likely also in my top 3 games ever made, but Wild West, Conquistadors, Samurai, and Vikings are all roughly B tier settings for me. It was the Portal Fantasy (another S-Tier setting) that really pushed it up the fun ladder.

If I could just get this to the table, I'd be fine but when faced with the actual proposition of organizing, running, and getting this game to the table, this is probably the most gargantuan unwieldy beast of a game I've ever encountered. The storage options are non-existent, and I am just bad at designing my own. I've tried, a lot, and put a lot of resources into it, and I mostly just suck at it. For my favorite games, I'll drop a lot of cash on custom designed organizers just to make the game more accessible. A Touch of Evil 10th Anniversary edition was amazing for this reason. Meanwhile, Shadows of Brimstone is such a sprawling endlessly expandable system that no one has even tried to tackle it.

I also hate Shadows of Brimstone minis. I really do. Even ignoring the effort you have to put into assembly, I'm clumsy and have kids and they're so freaking fragile.

I don't even know what to do anymore. Realistically, this is years off at best... But It's a combo of two of my all time favorite settings. But the game is almost impossible to wrangle into a playable and storable format. But I've also had some of my best gaming memories ever playing longer campaigns of Shadows of Brimstone... but those guys all moved away... but it's 1930's Egypt...

My favorite style of game is the Adventure style board game like A Touch of Evil. Dungeon Crawlers are second place but I have some really good dungeon crawlers that are a lot more accessible than Shadows of Brimstone now.

Am I just mired and lost in nostalgia, or is this worth getting?

What are you all going to do?
07-04-2023, 09:41 PM
That is the sole reason I haven't got into SoB. Just the huge amount of bloat. I'm a completionist (and then some) so I'd have to try and get everything. Every video I've watched about SoB tells you it's just an absolute saga to organise and store everything just to get a game.

I'm sure the solution is: just get one starter set and play that but I know what I'm like it wouldn't end there and I would get sucked in and end up with a behemoth that is inevitably more trouble than it's worth.

I've heard great things about this game and I'm probably missing out but the sheer amount of stuff out there is just a huge turn off.

Plus I don't have time for another project in my life right now but that shall be revealed in a thread very soon...

Happy gaming and painting allWatchmen02

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
07-05-2023, 12:57 AM
I agree I got the all in Pledge from the first KS & the massive number of figs I got just overwhelmed me.
I got the 2 Core sets painted but the expansions I just got sorted ( they came without individual boxes).

Raynor-I'll probably pass but the Egypt stuff looks interesting.

Sam-Looking forward to your thread.

OD

07-06-2023, 01:48 AM
I think I’m gonna have to hard commit to moving on from it.

It’s such an easy game to get excited about the idea of playing, when the reality of actually getting anything to the table after a certain point is just incredibly difficult.
07-14-2023, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2023 10:44 AM by Old Dwarf.)
The KS has launched . You can get the Hell Train & Tomb for $120 each or both for a bit under $300. Plus some personalized stuff from $400-$700.
Both Games are stand alone.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/103...uve_backed

The Stretch Goals are based on which pledge you get . Interesting but I'm not interested.

OD

07-14-2023, 08:10 PM
You know what DOES sound fun? Playing as a posse of Crimson Hand acolytes hunting down treasure.

But anyway. gonna go post my game for sale to fight temptation
07-15-2023, 08:32 AM
(07-14-2023 08:10 PM)Raynor Wrote:  But anyway. gonna go post my game for sale to fight temptation

Can't have been an easy decision but I think it's the the right one. Think how much room you'll have in your games cupboardZombie17

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death