Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello from scenic Wilmington, DE
06-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Hello from scenic Wilmington, DE
Hello!

I always wanted to/felt like I should love Arkham Horror but never did. Heard about ATOE on a podcast (listening through old episodes) that has similar feelings about AH and it sounded like a good fit.

Just played my first games this past weekend. One solo game (did not enjoy) because I could not wait and one game with four players (over the top enjoyment).

Bought the game + SW expansion used. Will probably pick up the Coast at some point "just because" but don't see it getting much use as my table is just big enough to fit the base board + SW.

I know I'm a little late to the party, thanks for letting me join in the community/fun,
bwin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2016, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 08:24 PM by Old Dwarf.)
RE: Hello from scenic Wilmington, DE
The party at TZG never ends (well as long as Sarku pays the bills) Welcome, to another AToE Fan.
I have the Coast but never actually played it.

Have you tried Eldritch Horror ? I found that for me at least it does a better job at creating a Lovecraft
feel than AH.

So once again scenic Wilmington welcome from exotic South Jersey.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-02-2016, 06:42 PM
Did you play competitive or cooperative?

I have only played the coop rules and was wonder if your "over the top enjoyment" was from which version.

You can play AToE with the Coast omitting the SW board to save room.
06-02-2016, 07:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 08:26 PM by Old Dwarf.)
(06-02-2016 06:42 PM)August700212 Wrote:  Did you play competitive or cooperative?

I have only played the coop rules and was wonder if your "over the top enjoyment" was from which version.

We played cooperative against the Scarecrow using the basic minion chart. There were some rules neglected (missed rolling on the coop mystery chart a bunch of rounds) by accident that made the overall game a lot easier on us but we still all got KO'd bad in the showdown. We decided to end the game there since the shadow track had not moved much due to not rolling on the mystery chart. Oops!

The person I got the game from had player aids printed out that didn't include coop-specific stuff and I hadn't read the rules thoroughly.

I don't see us ever playing competitive as most us consider ourselves casual gamers and it wouldn't be as easy to bring new people to the table.

(06-02-2016 06:42 PM)August700212 Wrote:  You can play AToE with the Coast omitting the SW board to save room.

Nice! Do any of the mystery or event cards or anything else have to removed once mixed with the others? I'm very disorganized and like to avoid anything that makes a game harder to get out onto the table.

(06-02-2016 06:12 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  The party at TZG never ends (well as long as Sarku pays the bills) Welcome, to another AToE Fan.
I have the Coast but never actually played it.

Have you tried Eldritch Horror ? I found that for me at least it does a better job at creating a Lovecraft
feel than AH.

So once again scenic Wilmington welcome from exotic South Jersey.

OD

Haven't tried Eldritch Horror but it does seem like it would definitely be better than AH. I did play Mansions of Madness once a long time ago and had a similar experience to AH, wanting to like it but just not having a very good time.

Has anyone created a Jersey Devil villain for AToE?
06-02-2016, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 08:56 PM by August700212.)
You can keep the Mystery and Event cards together. The Lair cards are the only deck that needs to be played differently. The rules say to use locations not on the map as wild cards that cost twice as much to start a showdown with. Alternatively, you can just discard (ignore) locations that are not in play and draw again. Both methods work fine. I would suggest using the wild card method if playing a SW villain without the SW board because some showdown locations have special villain specific text.
06-07-2016, 11:36 PM
Greetings bwindle83,

The party's always open to new members. Hope you enjoy this site dedicated to all Flying Frog's Games and any other random gaming goodness you want to mention. Feel free to reincarnate any old threads too. Always good to dig up the old threadsZombie17
06-08-2016, 12:37 AM
(06-07-2016 11:36 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Greetings bwindle83,

The party's always open to new members. Hope you enjoy this site dedicated to all Flying Frog's Games and any other random gaming goodness you want to mention. Feel free to reincarnate any old threads too. Always good to dig up the old threadsZombie17

Thanks! Looking forward to digging around and digging some up on occasion as well
06-10-2016, 06:41 PM
Welcome to the boards! It is always great to see some new blood join in on the fun. :-)
06-12-2016, 02:58 AM
(06-10-2016 06:41 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  Welcome to the boards! It is always great to see some new blood join in on the fun. :-)

Thanks! Wish I'd been around a few years ago, the boards for AToE are a little desolate :/ a resurrection is in order!