Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hero Abilities
07-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Hero Abilities
Several of the hero abilities (Jenny's and Sally's specifically) seem to indicate they may be able to do these in fights with other heroes. For example, Sally's ability to reroll zombie fight dice, there seems to be no requirement for her to be involved in the fight. The other example of this would be Jenny, who can add or subtract one to *any* roll when testing to see if a weapon brakes. Does this mean that she can save other heroe's weapons?

Thanks for the help in advance Watchmen02
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2008, 02:33 PM
RE: Hero Abilities
The Heroes abilities can only be used on themselves:

Sally can only get a zombie to re-roll dice in a fight against her.

Jenny can only add or subtract 1 when she is rolling to test for a weapon break (though remember a 1 is always a break!)
Find all posts by this user
07-15-2008, 06:36 PM
How about Father Joseph's ability to take a wound to cancel a zombiecard?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah, forgot that one!

His is the only one which can have a more universal effect...well, he is praying to God for help!

The only other one I can think of that plays slightly different to all the rest is Becky's healing. She cannot use it on herself only on others.

But the rest (to my memory) only affect the Hero themselves.
07-16-2008, 01:00 AM
zombie67 Wrote:Oh yeah, forgot that one!

His is the only one which can have a more universal effect...well, he is praying to God for help!

The only other one I can think of that plays slightly different to all the rest is Becky's healing. She cannot use it on herself only on others.

But the rest (to my memory) only affect the Hero themselves.

That is what I thought, but it honestly never says that anywhere in the rulebook. The two abilities seem very nice on a team assuming that is true, but there are almost no rules in the main rule book in regards to the abilities on the cards.
07-16-2008, 03:07 AM
greydevil1 Wrote:That is what I thought, but it honestly never says that anywhere in the rulebook. The two abilities seem very nice on a team assuming that is true, but there are almost no rules in the main rule book in regards to the abilities on the cards.

Just thought I'd check BGG for a bit of clarification from Jason Hill and found the following:

Quote:1. Can Sally's Lucky ability be used for other fights? That would make her a very strong character, but couldnt find a reason why this wouldnt be so.

Jason Hill answered:
Abilities that are used to modify a Fight may only be used by the character who has the ability (much like the 'Combat Bonus' of a Hand Weapon). Sally's Lucky ability is a good example of this.

&

Quote:ssgames wrote:
We debated a long time whether hero abilities applied only to them or to all heroes. We decided the father's faith cancelling worked on all zombie cards, not just those played against him, but we thought the lucky woman's luck only applied to her battles.

Jason Hill replied:
You are exactly correct on both counts.

There you sort of have it from the main man's mouth!
07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
When you think about it, it does make sense and is quite logical.
I always try to picture it in my mind how it would work in real life. The priest can pray and god suposedly is omnipresent so he could help out.
Other abilities are more on a personal level, like the luck of Sally. You could go as far as saying that her luck rubs of on characters in the same space, but that is strechting it a little to me Zombie03

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
zombie67 Wrote:The Heroes abilities can only be used on themselves:

Sally can only get a zombie to re-roll dice in a fight against her.

Jenny can only add or subtract 1 when she is rolling to test for a weapon break (though remember a 1 is always a break!)

Hey guys. I'm obviously new to this forum and just purchased the game this week.

I do have a question about this subject though, why on earth would Jenny ever want to subtract 1 on a weapon break?!? It makes no sense to me.
07-22-2008, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2008 02:32 PM by zombie67.)
BeanThere Wrote:Hey guys. I'm obviously new to this forum and just purchased the game this week.

I do have a question about this subject though, why on earth would Jenny ever want to subtract 1 on a weapon break?!? It makes no sense to me.

I agree but as I always try to do, I looked up a Jason Hill answer on BGG to clear up the matter:

Quote:1) Jenny's 'Handy' Ability does allow you to add or subtract 1 to the die roll when rolling to see if a Hand weapon Breaks. Unfortunately, this may not bring the roll below 1. So most Hand Weapons will always still break if you roll a 1.

The 'or Subtract' is really just there for potential future Items.

This is a good catch and will be included in the forthcoming Updated FAQ on the Offical Website.

'A die roll may never be reduced to 0 or less. It MAY, however, be increased to 7 or more.'

So maybe in a future expansion it will help her to -1 from a roll.
08-15-2008, 06:31 PM
zombie67 Wrote:
BeanThere Wrote:Hey guys. I'm obviously new to this forum and just purchased the game this week.

I agree but as I always try to do, I looked up a Jason Hill answer on BGG to clear up the matter:

Quote:1) Jenny's 'Handy' Ability does allow you to add or subtract 1 to the die roll when rolling to see if a Hand weapon Breaks. Unfortunately, this may not bring the roll below 1. So most Hand Weapons will always still break if you roll a 1.

The 'or Subtract' is really just there for potential future Items.

This is a good catch and will be included in the forthcoming Updated FAQ on the Offical Website.

'A die roll may never be reduced to 0 or less. It MAY, however, be increased to 7 or more.'

So maybe in a future expansion it will help her to -1 from a roll.

I just thought of an instance when subtracting one may be beneficial...
Say if Jenny is across the board with a weapon and another hero is in a building with a pickup for that weapon. Also that weapon isn't in the discard pile, yet. But Jenny could potentially get the weapon to break, thus discarding it and allowing the other hero to pick it up.

Yeah the chances of that scenario ever happening or being a benefit to the heroes is very unlikely. But it's always good to think creatively when fighting the walking dead.