Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hero Classes - Favorites/Preferences
12-06-2014, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 06:27 PM by Raynor.)
Hero Classes - Favorites/Preferences
So I STILL haven't opened up the second box and checked out the next set of heroes. We're still working our way through the missions and paint jobs of the City of the Ancients. But I wanted to take a moment to see what everyone's favorite hero class is so far.

I've personally played the Bandido and the U.S. Marshall but I'm playing a regular game with 2 other folks right now and they're playing the Gunslinger and the Piano Player respectively so I've gotten a chance to see all 4 classes in play fairly extensively.

What's neat is how balanced the classes are. The high damage classes like the Bandido and the Gunslinger have fairly poor defense. The high to-hit classes like the Marshall and the Piano Player/Saloon Girl are limited by the ability to shoot less or a reliance on physical combat over guns.

When we finally got through the first couple of learner games I chose the Marshal over the Bandido going forward just due to his higher defense and to-hit. I don't feel it was a bad choice as between me and the piano player, we can form a wall of defense in a passage (assuming no ambush) and guard our damage dealing gunslinger in the back so he can pick off his own choice enemies while we handle the front line.

I would go on all day about how good that extra defense is on the front line for the Marshal class but the truth is, that Bandido's special ability to regain Grit on a 1 or a 2 is HIGHLY useful and offsets his low to-hit rolls very well. + Twin guns or Dynamite satchel. EPIC fun!!! I love the bounce mechanic on the dynamite. Pretty sweet stuff.

The Gunslinger my friend is playing is a traditional glass cannon. I don't think he'd be half as useful if he didn't have a posse to back him up and let him do his thing more efficiently and soak up those blows for him. His special dead eye shot is a REALLY nice touch on FFP's part. Just really brings out that flavor and gives the player a great tactile way to interact with the game.

I'm probably least familiar with the Saloon girl, primarily because she seems to be really good but in our game she's gotten really lucky too. I swear all I draw in the Gear pile are hand-to-hand weapons which I pass off to her so she's armed to the teeth and has thus far been more effective in close combat than I am in long range with my shotgun.

All in all, I am pretty happy with my character class in the USMarshal. What are your favorites? Preferences so far!

How many of you are playing this now anyway?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2014, 06:42 PM
RE: Hero Classes - Favorites/Preferences
I've use all 8 Heroes (at 2 per Game) . But aside from the U.S. Marshal & The Rancher I
haven't played a 2nd Game with them yet. I found them all enjoyable & really liked the
Gunslinger.

Of course a lot depends on which of the 3 Special starting ability you get & the make up of the
Posse. Getting a good Range type with a good melee type helps a lot.

There's a lot of possible combinations to work with.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
12-06-2014, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 07:33 PM by Raynor.)
Reminds me a lot of Character Creation and development in Borderlands and Diablo2. The tech trees are very similar and the different upgrade trees allow you to play the same character in vastly different ways.

I tried the Dynamite and the Twin gun versions of the Bandito and found both to be highly appealing. The ability to roll critical when dual wielding is actually highly relevant but the ability to lug around and create lots of extra dynamite is pretty great too. Two very different play styles that both benefit from the easier-to-recover-grit advantage the bandito has built in.
12-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Indian Scout is clearly bottom tier. He's the Kenny of the game. Every one else is mid tier except for Saloon Girl, Gunslinger, and Rancher topping out at the top.

Rancher is silly good. +2 dmg, with three open slots that she can fill with a +1 upgrade for 11 darkstones. So +5 damage with the ability to bullet it up to 6 means you're one shotting just about every thing even WITHOUT crits. Add a +1 to shot EVERY time you kill? Rancher starts off slow, but is just a powerhouse at level 4-5.

Heroes get remembered. Legends never die.
12-07-2014, 01:24 AM
Oh wow that's good to know. We're still hovering around level 2 for the party. I was planning on playing the Indian scout when we opened up the next box. Just the one box is certainly a $100 game. I've played it now about as much as I've ever played Fortune and Glory and I've owned that game for years now!
01-24-2015, 08:59 AM
(12-06-2014 10:25 PM)Orguss Wrote:  Indian Scout is clearly bottom tier. He's the Kenny of the game. Every one else is mid tier except for Saloon Girl, Gunslinger, and Rancher topping out at the top.

Rancher is silly good. +2 dmg, with three open slots that she can fill with a +1 upgrade for 11 darkstones. So +5 damage with the ability to bullet it up to 6 means you're one shotting just about every thing even WITHOUT crits. Add a +1 to shot EVERY time you kill? Rancher starts off slow, but is just a powerhouse at level 4-5.

can the rancher take the +1 enhancement multiple times? doesn't it count as an upgrade so it can only be taken once?
01-29-2015, 06:30 PM
You're right willson. Each Upgrade can only be taken once.