Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hero Pack 1 Painting Guide (+ painted metal Spacehulk Terminators)
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 01:17 AM by samuraitrev.)
Hero Pack 1 Painting Guide (+ painted metal Spacehulk Terminators)
Hi and welcome to another painting guide. When I first got these new models and characters to be honest I wasn't blown away. Now I've researched them and painted them as close as I can match them by their character boards and card decks I've really warmed to them. I know this sounds sentimental but painting a plain model and puting time into it really does bring them to life.

Anyway enough whimsy. Let's get painting!

Those who are familiar with my previous guides will now be learning some techniques and (I hope) your painting is improving.

1) Wash your plastic figures in warm soapy water. All of these stages are important and it's in your interest not to skip any. (This should help remove any possible chemical residues left by the manufacturing process)

2) Trim flash/mould lines. Your tool kit is perhaps expanding by now. You want a craft knife, a flat and round minifile, some clippers. (The finished result of your model will be vastly improved by taking 5 minutes here)

3) Mount your models on something a plastic tray, piece of stiff card, wine cork or old paint pot for a single model. (This will help you maintain a better grip on your subject(s) and stop you inadvertantly rubbing off and spoiling your super neat paint job)

4) Undercoat/Prime them Black or White it's your call. The way I choose depends on the overall colour of the model if it's a Knight covered in plate armour I go for Black. If it's a model wearing lots of bright colours such as reds and yellows I'm going for White) Tip In the past when painting things like giant bats I've been to artist shops and bought brown spray paint. (The make is Montana Cans) This can save you a lot of time for painting figures assembly line style. (Test the pigmentation of the paint on a model you don't care about (e.g. Billy) first. It needs to be fine so it doesn't obscure detail). I sprayed The Heroes Black. I should have used White for Victor.

5) Basic Colours I use Games Workshop paints. There's lots of other high quality paints on the market too!
Flesh
All character's Flesh was painted with Tallarn Flesh. Except Jade's which was Dheneb Stone.
Hair
Jade and Mr Goddard's Hair was painted Scorched Brown.
Stacy's hair was painted Desert Yellow.
Shirts
Victor's and Stacy's shirts were painted Dheneb Stone.
Jade's was painted with Liche Purple
Mr Goddard's with Gretchin Green
Trousers/Skirts
Victor's Macharius Solar Orange
Stacy's and Jade's Chaos Black 3/4 Adeptus Battlegrey 1/4 Their tights were painted Dheneb Stone
Mr Goddard Scorched Brown
Jackets
Stacy's and Jade's Chaos Black 3/4 Adeptus Battlegrey 1/4
Shoes
Victor Scorched Brown, Stacy Mechrite Red, Mr Goddard Adeptus Battlegrey and Jade's Chaos Black 3/4 Adeptus Battlegrey 1/4
Extras
Revolvers and metallic parts on wrench and Mr Goddards fire item and skateboard axles were painted Boltgun Metal. Wrench handles, Stacy's notebook and Mr Goddard's Fire item were painted Mechrite Red. Mr Goddard's Tie Scorched Brown

6) Shading (Washing technique)
Flesh
All character's flesh were shaded with Ogryn Flesh
Hair
All but Victor Devlan Mud,
Shirts
Victor's and Stacy's watered down Devlan Mud 50/50
Jade's Leviathan Purple, Mr Goddard Thraka Green
Jackets
Stacy and Jade Badab Black
Shoes
Victor Scorched Brown, Jade and Mr Goddard Baddab Black, Stacy Leviathan Purple
Extras
Metallic parts Badab Black, Red items Devlan Mud, Tie Devlan Mud

7) Highlighting
Flesh
1st coat Tallarn Flesh 3/4 and Elf Flesh 1/4
2nd Coat Tallarn Flesh and Elf Flesh 50/50
Jade's Bleached Bone
Hair
Stacy 1st Desert Yellow 2nd Bleached Bone (drybrushed)
Jade Terracotta (drubrushed)
Mr Goddard Bestial Brown (drybrushed)
Shirts
Victor and Stacy 1st Dheneb Stone 2nd Dheneb Stone and Skull White 50/50
Jade 1st Liche Purple and Hormagaunt Purple 50/50 2nd Hormagaunt Purple
Mr Goddard 1st Gretchin Green 2nd Gretchin Green and Rotting Flesh 50/50
Trousers/Skirts
Victor 1st Macharius Solar Orange 2nd Macharius Solar Orange and Firey Orange 50/50 3rd Firey Orange
Stacy and Jade 1st Adeptus Battlegrey and Chaos Black 50/50 2nd Adeptus Battlegrey just on the very edges
Mr Goddard Scorched Brown and Bestial Brown 50/50
Jackets
Stacy and Jade 1st Adeptus Battlegrey and Chaos Black 50/50 2nd Adeptus Battlegrey just on the very edges
Shoes
Victor Bestial Brown
Stacy Mechrite Red and Blood Red 50/50
Jade 1st Adeptus Battlegrey and Chaos Black 50/50 2nd Adeptus Battlegrey just on the very edges
Mr Goddard 1st Adeptus Battlegrey 2nd Adeptus Battlegrey and Codex Grey 50/50
Extras
Metallic items including Stacy's necklace 1st Chainmail 2nd Mithril Silver
Red items ist Mechrite Red and Blood Red 50/50, 2nd Blood Red. Skateboard Tausept Ochre then patches of Tentacle Pink and the wheels. Then Chaos Black writing I used the unique item card to copy Jade's skateboard. I also did black stripes on her tights and shirt.

8) Base 'em see my previous guides for help with these steps
9) Varnish see my previous guides for help with these steps

Hope you've enjoyed this article
As always comments/questions welcome
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 05:31 AM
RE: Hero Pack 1 Painting Guide
Brilliant.

I'm really looking forward to getting some paint on mine some day...your work is inspiring to say the least. Excellent work again.

I've built a *decent* collection of P3 paints, using them to paint my Space Hulk set (half way, at least). While a *big* fan of the P3 paints, I am not too impressed with their washes. I wonder how the GW washes would look over the P3 palette...

w.
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2011 01:14 AM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Hero Pack 1 Painting Guide (plus pics of the original Spacehulk metal Terminators
(04-11-2011 05:31 AM)willco Wrote:  I wonder how the GW washes would look over the P3 palette...

w.

Only one way to find out... Watchmen02
Which version of Spacehulk have you got?
The last games show I was at I bought these Genestealers. Saved me lots of painting timeZombie20

04-11-2011, 06:47 PM
(04-11-2011 09:45 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  
(04-11-2011 05:31 AM)willco Wrote:  I wonder how the GW washes would look over the P3 palette...

w.

Only one way to find out... Watchmen02
Which version of Spacehulk have you got?
The last games show I was at I bought these Genestealers. Saved me lots of painting timeZombie20

Those look great!
I have the 3rd edition. I am about 80% done with the marines, and the stealers are primered and nothing else. They have been in stasis since last year, unfortunately...

In any case, your stealers look good, but I bet they'd be better if you repainted them. You know, after the 100 or so others in line.
04-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Hey Wilco!
I painted these many years ago so sorry if they seem a bit basic but I still use them from time to time. Although the new plastic terminators are bigger and look much more dynamic. I do like the Heavy feel to these guys.

Gotta love the Assault Cannon!

And yes I still have some metal terminators waiting for the paint...
04-12-2011, 06:05 AM
RE: Hero Pack 1 Painting Guide (+ painted metal Spacehulk Terminators)
Those figs are really cool. I like the checkerboards. Space Hulk looks so awesome. Man, I wish i could pick up a copy of the 3rd ed for a reasonable price somewhere. I have never played it before.
04-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Well done Trev, informative and inspiring as always! I dabbled in mini painting while in highschool, but not much since then, mostly due to space constraints. I am moving soon, and hope to carve out a painting nook and hopefully can get back to it. If I do, I will be referring to these guides.

Thanks for all you work putting these together.
04-13-2011, 12:01 AM
@Vikinglad If you can get the game for a reasonable price. It has my full recommendation. A simple rule system but balanced to perfection. The claustraphobic atmosphere in the corridors is so epic. You can't pass each other or fire past each other the Terminators are slow to turn due to the cramped corridoors and their moves have a time limit. The Stealers are faster their numbers are unknown until spotted with no time limit to represent their lightning reflexes.

This Game is timeless.

@Munkymuddface thanks for saying. I appreciate it. I'm just working on more zombies for you all. They'll be coming for you soon... Zombie03
04-13-2011, 10:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-2011 10:09 PM by willco.)
ST - you couldn't be more right about the older models having a heaviness to them, a visual weight. While I think the 3E models are very well done, they don't have the same gravity.

Spot on about the game being epic, too. Its about as claustrophobic as it can get...quite the tactical challenge without losing anything in terms of theme. Brilliant, really. I never got to play the older versions, but I think the rules for 3E are quite good. Streamlined and built for fun. Would you say GW took in account 25 years of playtesting and made the new rules accordingly?

Great job on those, by the way! I'd be honored to use them any day. No apologies necessary!

Sometimes its easy to get bogged down in trying to make things perfect, when really the models need to look good from four feet, not four inches. Maybe I should apply that to my own stuff; probably get a lot more done, eh?

Thanks a ton for sharing those termies, mate. I'll post some of mine (the 3E ones) after I move...maybe a couple weeks. That is, if anyone is interested.

Cheers.

PS you didn't drill out the barrels? EGADS! :P
04-14-2011, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2011 02:45 PM by samuraitrev.)
Would you say GW took in account 25 years of playtesting and made the new rules accordingly?

I would hope so but I haven't had the pleasure of playtesting v.3. I'm not sure but did they take out the timer? I did like that element of added pressure.

Thanks a ton for sharing those termies, mate. I'll post some of mine (the 3E ones) after I move...maybe a couple weeks. That is, if anyone is interested.

I would like to see the new Terminators (especially painted versions)

PS you didn't drill out the barrels? EGADS! :P

Damn! Wish I'd thought of that. Good idea there sir! Zombie03
[/quote]