Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hero death and disposition of Upgrades and Experience
12-02-2015, 09:30 PM
Hero death and disposition of Upgrades and Experience
We got a game of LNOE going over the weekend with Timber Peak.

A question came up when one of the Heroes got killed.

There is nowhere that I can find in the TP rule book that tells you what to do with upgrades and experience when a Hero dies. Intuitively, you would think they get discarded, and that is the way we played it. But, the very rule book that introduces the Experience and Upgrade system fails to give an instruction.

The player was not all that happy because the rule book did not say explicitly to discard them, but couldn't dispute that they are assigned to the Hero and not the player so relented without too much fuss. I said I would ask on this forum.

I just wondered who else has come across that question and how you handled it.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 07:44 PM by StayPuft.)
RE: Hero death and disposition of Upgrades and Experience
It has been a while since I consulted the rule book, so I can't say this officially...

However, I think it is safe to assume that it all gets discarded. The upgrades, as well as the experience points, go with the hero who earned them, not the player themselves. For example, the upgrade you earn goes to a specific hero. It doesn't just go to your whole hero team. Also, if I remember correctly (it has been a little while since my group and I have played this) I believe the experience points, like-wise, go to the specific hero who earned them and not to some general pool for the player.

So, I can't say for 100% sure (perhaps one of the other members can chime in with a direct cite from Flying Frog themselves), but I do believe you played it correctly.
12-05-2015, 03:59 PM
i think that if it is assigned to the Hero like equipment, then it should be treated as such and discarded upon Hero death. I do not have this particular expansion so I have no firsthand experience with it, but this sounds reasonable. Watchmen02
12-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks for responses you guys. What you say is intuitive and it's the way we played comming to the same conclusions. It's just weird it is not specifically addressed in the rule book that introduces the experience and upgrade system.

01-22-2016, 04:04 PM
We always play when your dead all your experience dies with you, seems sensible.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2016, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 09:02 PM by StayPuft.)
That makes sense thematically too. It isn't like a possession. In real life, if you die, it isn't like your life experience suddenly downloads into a friend or family member. ....I mean, maybe not unless your friend/family member is Alice from A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master. :-P
01-25-2016, 03:49 PM
Haha - hard to say thematically...I mean, maybe the guy has been writing a How-to journal of all his experiences... Watchmen02

01-29-2016, 07:34 PM
(01-25-2016 03:49 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Haha - hard to say thematically...I mean, maybe the guy has been writing a How-to journal of all his experiences... Watchmen02

Possibly. But, even then it would still take some practice on the part of the new person to perfect the skills. So, again, thematically speaking it isn't like they'd magically transfer. :-)