Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes Fend on Doubles
09-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Heroes Fend on Doubles
Hey everyone, first thread started on here.

I was playing Timber Peak with my gaming group earlier in the night and as humans, our side simply got ravaged by some hungry Zombies. The one thing that kept happening repeatedly was a Zombie rolling a "6" and the human not even attempting to beat it, since Zombies win on ties. A natural Zombie roll of "6" happened probably a third of the time, which is absolutely insane. And two of those instances, the hero rolled first and got double 6's to match, but still took a wound.

So, one of the guys we play with suggested that it would make sense to have humans at least fend off a Zombie with a roll of double 6's when the Zombie rolls a 6. This at least gives the human a fighting chance instead of automatically losing because of a lucky roll. The difficulty in rolling double 6's makes sense for it to be a logical possibility.

Honestly, seeing a Zombie roll a 6 and knowing there is NOTHING to do about it (unless you're Johnny or have a card to change it) is a total mood killer. The feeling of having a SLIGHT chance to succeed is better than the feeling of complete failure.

I'm not sure if we're going to implement this variant, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about it or if any of you do this, and what experiences you've had with using this rule.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
RE: Heroes Fend on Doubles
hello PF
cant wait till i get timber peaks you lucky person Watchmen02

as for the adding of a varient to dice rolls because the zombies got some awesome 6's whooohooo go zombies (as you can guess i mainly play the dead). but thing is if the dice gods are with you then go with it coz the next game you play the heros's could have rolls like that with 6's and have no weapons break.

its just the luck of the day dude and the hero's got served Watchmen02
09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
(09-18-2012 10:21 AM)zombielover77 Wrote:  hello PF
cant wait till i get timber peaks you lucky person Watchmen02

as for the adding of a varient to dice rolls because the zombies got some awesome 6's whooohooo go zombies (as you can guess i mainly play the dead). but thing is if the dice gods are with you then go with it coz the next game you play the heros's could have rolls like that with 6's and have no weapons break.

its just the luck of the day dude and the hero's got served Watchmen02

Timber Peaks is amazing! Get it as soon as you can. The Upgrades System and the addition of fire really make it a completely new game (for the better). Honestly, Fire is just SO much fun!

But yes, it's all about the dice rolls and some days are better/worse than others. I'm not sold on the idea of adding this variant, because I feel like it is balanced, but I can see how it makes sense. Like "I rolled 2 sixes, which is just awesome. I should at least not get hurt." We probably won't add it, but I wanted to throw it out there. Watchmen02
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
In the case of couple sixes i think is fine...

On average without addition of extra dices it gives you an average 1/36 chance which seens pretty balanced...

But as you add dice the probability will tweak a lot in favor of the hero... i think it's worth the test...

A good measure for the power of a weapon is how cool it looks...
09-18-2012, 01:14 PM
I can understand the frustration when one side just rolls ridiculously well or poorly, I have had games that resolved with the zombies never wounding the heroes because I rolled terribly the entire game, and Johnny Gardenshears kept rolling 6's.

I don't like the addition because as j0hnn mentioned above as you add dice it gets more and more likely.

I could see using it in the black turns, just to stop some early game insanity. That would help the heroes get started.
09-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I would play a few more games before trying this rule out. The games are usually very close, but we have had the dice gods play their games with us too. It isn't any fun when the entire game is lopsided, but it doesn't happen very often. I can see how it would be tempting to add somethign like this after one of those sorts of games.

Oh ya, Welcome to the site. Timber Peak looks like lots of fun. I hope I get it for Christmas this year.
09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
(09-18-2012 05:59 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  I would play a few more games before trying this rule out. The games are usually very close, but we have had the dice gods play their games with us too. It isn't any fun when the entire game is lopsided, but it doesn't happen very often. I can see how it would be tempting to add somethign like this after one of those sorts of games.

Oh ya, Welcome to the site. Timber Peak looks like lots of fun. I hope I get it for Christmas this year.

Thanks for the welcome!

But also, thanks for the input, guys. We've definitely played over fifteen games of LNoE in the past couple months or so, so we're definitely well versed in the game now. It's easily my favorite board game, ever. I can't wait to hopefully browse through the Download section.

Adding extra dice makes that rule seem very broken. I love how combat works in the game, and that's why I'm not completely sold on this idea. It's just weird to think that a Zombie wins 1/6 of every fights unless it is altered by some card or ability. That makes vanilla combat EXTREMELY dangerous for the humans. But I guess that's what makes the game so tense, also. After all, it's a Zombie Apocalypse. It can't be easy, right?
09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
(09-18-2012 06:24 PM)PsychicFatman Wrote:  That makes vanilla combat EXTREMELY dangerous for the humans. But I guess that's what makes the game so tense, also. After all, it's a Zombie Apocalypse. It can't be easy, right?

Yep. Until the heroes get items they should be running from the zombies, desperately searching for anything that will help them live/turn the tables.
09-18-2012, 07:26 PM
I think that the reason humans were having such a tough time was because we were playing the Generator Defense scenario in Timber Peaks. Humans had NO time to search and had to defend with their bare hands, as buildings were on fire, zombies were spawning 3 tiles away from the generators, and there was simply pure madness everywhere.

Too bad, we ended up losing on the very last turn! Damn fire!
09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Also remember, the zombies and heroes should roll their dice at the same time. It keeps the excitement (and the game) going a little bit better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user