Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes Fend on Doubles
09-18-2012, 08:03 PM
RE: Heroes Fend on Doubles
(09-18-2012 07:31 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Also remember, the zombies and heroes should roll their dice at the same time. It keeps the excitement (and the game) going a little bit better.

Heh, we actually find that letting the Zombies roll first adds much more tension and excitement. When you have one wound left and are the last human alive, you WANT that Zombie to roll first so that all eyes can be on that potential last, final die roll. And if you succeed, it makes it so so so sweet.

For example, in the game this all happened in last night, the Zombies had killed two heroes already, and my character (Sherrif Anderson) was completely swarmed by three Zombies. I fended off the first two, but there was one left. My girlfriend rolled for her Zombie and got a 5. With a lot of build up and super excitement, I rolled my dice for thirty seconds of tension and rolled, scoring the 6 with everyone shouting out in excitement and letting the humans live for a little longer!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-18-2012, 08:50 PM
RE: Heroes Fend on Doubles
I can definitely see the merit in the idea, especially if the heroes are getting killed by the zombie rolls. Though, I kind of just see that as being the luck of the roll. That is a big part of the game, and is honestly just the way it should be. It should be hard to kill zombies. They are tough SOBs.

I also agree that heroes should usually be trying to avoid fights unless they have some weapons to help them out. That is why I have honestly found I’m not quite as fond of scenarios that force you to do otherwise. I find them to typically be my least favorite. Die Zombies Die is the most obvious example, as this one requires you to literally kill zombies, when normally you’d want to try to avoid fighting them.

There was also one my group played in the other guy’s copy of Timber Peak. The heroes were supposed to get X number of upgrades to win. Well, you get those by killing/wounding zombies to get and cash in Experience Points. So, again, I found I wasn’t terribly fond of it, because it kind of goes against what you should want to do. My favorite scenarios tend to be the ones where killing zombies doesn’t necessarily help you in any way other than that it is one less zombie on the board, and it is certainly better to kill it than be wounded.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply