Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 02:44 PM by LSD.)
Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
I want to come up with a house rule that allows the heroes the ability to search while moving. Still in the development phase and help is needed. Not sure how many "dots" it should be

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Quote:Updated rule as of now:

On a movement roll of 5+, a hero may give up one movement point (-1 to their moment action) while moving to perform a "search on the go". This ability may be activated once before or after moving as long as the hero starts/ends their action in a building.

Optional if too powerful: Heroes only find something on a success roll of 5+. Either way this "Search on the Go" ability Excludes pick-up items and survival deck cards

Updated idea:

Quote:Search on the go:

A hero may give up 3 movement points to search when starting or ending their turn in a building. (optional difficulty: The hero only finds something on a success roll of 3+)

As a result of the heroes using this ability the zombie player gets to activate one zombie and move it one space (optional difficulty D3 spaces?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 02:02 AM
RE: Heroes Move and Search
In Growing Hunger there's a scenario special rule called Free Search Markers. During the game set up tokens are placed in each building (that is not a Hero starting location). When a Hero finishes their move in a building with a token they get to Search in the same Turn. The tokens are 1 use only. They can be used with the Manor House too.

Hope this helps!
01-04-2013, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 02:22 AM by LSD.)
(01-04-2013 02:02 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  In Growing Hunger there's a scenario special rule called Free Search Markers. During the game set up tokens are placed in each building (that is not a Hero starting location). When a Hero finishes their move in a building with a token they get to Search in the same Turn. The tokens are 1 use only. They can be used with the Manor House too.

Hope this helps!

I understand how the free search markers work, trying to develop something different. Think of it as a "search on the go" or "hurried search". Like the hero runs into a building and immediately there is something on the table or floor..etc. I find some games get stale where it seems the heroes are stuck in a building just searching each turn trying to find a weapon so looking to spice things up without it being broken. This is what I have so far

New Rule (needs name)

On the movement roll of 5+, a hero may give up one movement point (-1 to their moment action) to perform a free search, as long as he/she ends or begins his movement in a building space. Optional: Hero only finds something on a success roll of 5+. Either way this search Excludes pick-up items and survival deck cards.
01-04-2013, 02:50 AM
There's no reason you can't come up with a house rule like that. You could call it Whatever Comes to Hand or I'll Take This You could give it a Dots cost too. I'm thinking three dots because it's quite powerful. It could be balanced out by Always Zombie Heroes?
01-04-2013, 02:59 AM
(01-04-2013 02:50 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  There's no reason you can't come up with a house rule like that. You could call it Whatever Comes to Hand or I'll Take This You could give it a Dots cost too. I'm thinking three dots because it's quite powerful. It could be balanced out by Always Zombie Heroes?

That's why I'm posting here to help flesh out and test the variant and decide how many dots it is worth. I came up with the idea after reading about the variant rule where zombies are alerted by gunfire/explosions.

A few potential rule names:

I'll take that
Pickup and go
Grab and go
Grab your shit and run
01-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Hmmm How about Run and Gun? I would say it can be used on a 5+ too any less than that and it'd be OP.
01-04-2013, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 04:09 AM by LSD.)
(01-04-2013 03:03 AM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hmmm How about Run and Gun? I would say it can be used on a 5+ too any less than that and it'd be OP.

I agree about 5+ but what do you think of having to also make a skill check, does that debuff it too much? Also I require that you use one movement point giving you -1 to your move as well. I've updated the initial post to reflect the current suggestions.
01-04-2013, 01:26 PM
RE: Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
The -1 to a Hero's movement would be a good way to decrease the chances of this rule being over used. Not sure about the skill check. Otherwise there's lots of hoops to jump through before the special rule works
a) Roll 5+
b) The Hero has to be in a building
c) Sacrifice -1 from Move
d) Skill check (maybe odds or evens)

I think 4 stages is too much. The best special rules work best when they are seamless. I think this rule would be great if you created a character or used it as their Advaned Ability. I too would like to hear from more members and discuss this.
01-04-2013, 04:20 PM
(01-04-2013 01:26 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  The -1 to a Hero's movement would be a good way to decrease the chances of this rule being over used. Not sure about the skill check. Otherwise there's lots of hoops to jump through before the special rule works
a) Roll 5+
b) The Hero has to be in a building
c) Sacrifice -1 from Move
d) Skill check (maybe odds or evens)

I think 4 stages is too much. The best special rules work best when they are seamless. I think this rule would be great if you created a character or used it as their Advaned Ability. I too would like to hear from more members and discuss this.

The skill check was only if the ability seemed unbalanced. Heroes always have to be in a building to search, just wanted to clarify. So basically it's two parts, roll a 5+ then give up a movement point to search.
01-05-2013, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 12:32 AM by vikinglad.)
The amount of time that passes in a hero's turn is really only a few seconds: the amount of time it takes to run a few feet and take a shot. I feel like all searches are already "hurried searches." If you are able to move and still get an item, it is because you had incredible luck, or maybe...

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS***
May draw a hero card if a 1 is rolled for movement.

Now your slower move is explained by picking up the item you found. This idea is borrowed from other FFP games like Touch of Evil and Fortune and Glory. Another thing I would think makes it more fun is to eliminate the condition of being indoors. Imagine that, as you go to move, you notice something and grab it as you go; this could happen anywhere. This is also why I would change the odds to 1/6, which seems to work well in the other games. In a 15 round game (with 4 heroes, or 60 movement rolls), this should generate about 10 extra cards for the heroes over the course of the game, which seems like at least a 3 dotter to me. Playtesting will be the only way to tell for sure though. Let us know if you try anything out. Watchmen02