Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
11-05-2013, 11:28 PM
RE: Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
I doubt situational awareness would require that much balancing. Rolling a 1 sucks for heroes and can doom them sometimes if trying to get to a building just so they can search for a scenario item. Now the zombie player smiles fondly when the heroes roll a 1 and rightly so since it means escape is not possible if a zombie is in their space. I'd disallow the ability if a zombie is within 1 space of the character who rolls a 1.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 01:01 AM
(11-05-2013 11:28 PM)ch82 Wrote:  I doubt situational awareness would require that much balancing. Rolling a 1 sucks for heroes and can doom them sometimes if trying to get to a building just so they can search for a scenario item. Now the zombie player smiles fondly when the heroes roll a 1 and rightly so since it means escape is not possible if a zombie is in their space. I'd disallow the ability if a zombie is within 1 space of the character who rolls a 1.

I was thinking raising th zombie players hand limit to 5 when heroes want to use this ability in a scenario. Also not sure if it should be limited to outside a building or not.
11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Here is the card we use for Search On The Move:

[Image: ?dl=1]

Since there is no Dot cost we include it in every game. We've played several games with it and it seems to be fairly balanced. Players have a few more cards but move less, and Zombies move more. We've come to call the Zombie move a Clamor Roll.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-06-2013, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 06:58 PM by LSD.)
Searching for free outside on a 1-3 is too strong. That is why I propose simply giving up 3 movement points (and possible success roll) to use the ability. I agree with the clamor response though.
11-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Does giving up 3 movement points mean that on a roll of 2, for example, you can't search because you don't have 3 points to give up?

11-07-2013, 04:11 AM
(11-06-2013 10:48 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Does giving up 3 movement points mean that on a roll of 2, for example, you can't search because you don't have 3 points to give up?

Yes
11-07-2013, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 07:35 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
(11-07-2013 04:11 AM)LSD Wrote:  
(11-06-2013 10:48 PM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Does giving up 3 movement points mean that on a roll of 2, for example, you can't search because you don't have 3 points to give up?

Yes

Under the minus 3 move points scenario the player has a 1 in 6 chance of not moving while searching. My proposal has him at a 3 in 6 chance of not moving while searching.

Our thinking was cinematic - on a high roll the character must decide, while staring at that 6 roll, "do I make a run for it? Or stay and search?" Zombies love it when the Heroes hold still.

It would seem that minus 3 limits the ability to draw cards while keeping the cost minimal, while mine increases the ability to draw cards but makes it more of a sacrifice.

There are probably merits to both methods and it comes to a matter of preference.

11-07-2013, 07:21 PM
But giving up their movement defeats the purpose of "searching on the go". I think your idea is not bad but should be called something else.
11-07-2013, 07:35 PM
(11-07-2013 07:21 PM)LSD Wrote:  But giving up their movement defeats the purpose of "searching on the go". I think your idea is not bad but should be called something else.

Yah, good point. Maybe just call it "Outside Search" or something.

01-24-2014, 10:00 PM
How about this:

Frantic Search - whenever a hero starts in a building, has at least a zombie in the same or adjacent space, and rolls a 2 or lower, then that hero may search after moving, so long as the final square is still in the building. Upon picking up a card, roll a D6. On a role of 4+, the hero keeps the card, otherwise the card is discarded. Alternative to previous condition: upon pickup up a card, discard if the card is not a weapon or heroic event.

I'd say this doesn't require more than two dots. It only occurs when a hero is in a building with a zombie and is used to simulate the desire to quickly find something useful before engaging in a potential fight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user