Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
01-05-2013, 01:27 AM
RE: Heroes "Search on the Go" idea
(01-05-2013 12:31 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  The amount of time that passes in a hero's turn is really only a few seconds: the amount of time it takes to run a few feet and take a shot. I feel like all searches are already "hurried searches." If you are able to move and still get an item, it is because you had incredible luck, or maybe...

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS***
May draw a hero card if a 1 is rolled for movement.

Now your slower move is explained by picking up the item you found. This idea is borrowed from other FFP games like Touch of Evil and Fortune and Glory. Another thing I would think makes it more fun is to eliminate the condition of being indoors. Imagine that, as you go to move, you notice something and grab it as you go; this could happen anywhere. This is also why I would change the odds to 1/6, which seems to work well in the other games. In a 15 round game (with 4 heroes, or 60 movement rolls), this should generate about 10 extra cards for the heroes over the course of the game, which seems like at least a 3 dotter to me. Playtesting will be the only way to tell for sure though. Let us know if you try anything out. Watchmen02

I like this idea very much. And you may have nailed it since it seems when rolling ones is the biggest pain. I will have to try them both out soon. Any suggestions to my original idea, is it to complicated/random?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 01:50 PM
I tink vikinglad has the solutionWatchmen02
10-31-2013, 08:22 PM
I am still wanting to finalize this idea and was playing LNOE because of the holiday and had this thought. What if it cost a hero 3 movement points to search and move? To balance it I was thinking that each time the heroes used this ability he zombie player could activate one zombie and move it D3 spaces. If its too powerful perhaps the heroes have to spend the three movement points to search and only find something on a roll of 3+
10-31-2013, 11:15 PM
(10-31-2013 08:22 PM)LSD Wrote:  If its too powerful perhaps the heroes have to spend the three movement points to search and only find something on a roll of 3+

Personally I dislike die-roll dependent actions. I think building a barricade should be automatic if you give up move / search.
11-01-2013, 02:46 AM
(10-31-2013 11:15 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(10-31-2013 08:22 PM)LSD Wrote:  If its too powerful perhaps the heroes have to spend the three movement points to search and only find something on a roll of 3+

Personally I dislike die-roll dependent actions. I think building a barricade should be automatic if you give up move / search.

That's why I said its optional. What about the rest of the idea as a whole?
11-03-2013, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 11:10 PM by LSD.)
So I tested situational awareness last night using Timber Peak and decided it's a little unfair without giving the zombies some benefit so I thought increasing the zombie players hand size to 5 was fair. Also do you think when a hero rolls a one and gets a free search that they also can still decide to not move and search again or is that too powerful? Not sure if I should limit the ability to outside only and not in a building. I think if the heroes do search after rolling a one and getting a free card that the zombie player should get to activate and move one zombie as a result.

Any thoughts?
11-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Personally I'd add a success roll to this to balance it out.

1d6

1- Failure. Spawn 1d3 zombies at spawning pits if available. If no additional zombies can be spawned instead immediately move 2 zombies 1 space.
2- Failure. Surprise zombie attack x1.
3- Failure.
4- Success.
5- Success Shuffle top card of discard pile back into hero deck.
6- Success Draw 2 cards, Keep one and remove the other from the game.
11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
(11-04-2013 04:26 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Personally I'd add a success roll to this to balance it out.

1d6

1- Failure. Spawn 1d3 zombies at spawning pits if available. If no additional zombies can be spawned instead immediately move 2 zombies 1 space.
3- Failure.
4- Success.

Are you proposing this for situational awareness or search on the go? I just wanted to keep the rules streamlined but it's not a bad idea. Just kind of fiddly.
11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
(11-04-2013 04:39 PM)LSD Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 04:26 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Personally I'd add a success roll to this to balance it out.

1d6

3- Failure.
4- Success.

Are you proposing this for situational awareness or search on the go? I just wanted to keep the rules streamlined but it's not a bad idea. Just kind of fiddly.

I was thinking that as search on the go. The greatest ally to heroes is their mobility. There should be some sort of risk involved in in using it. I think of it as running into a house and frantically searching it without properly clearing it of zombies first. Also if you are blindly rummaging through stuff it is going to make noise drawing zombies your way (Though I don't know where the idea of zombies having hearing game about. I mean their ear drums would not function with the rotting and you couldn't even say they can feel the vibrations since all their nerve endings are dead. Need to suspend reality though.)
11-05-2013, 09:37 PM
What about situational awareness? Should heroes be able to roll a one, get a free card and then still be able to search or should the ability be restricted to outside?