Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes Underpowered?
10-16-2012, 03:19 AM
RE: Heroes Underpowered?
I do admit I was lucky. But they were as well. The problem I'm facing is that the Zombie Win Ratio is 4:1. It's turning off the people I play with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Bokya - do you mix it up at all by playing one (or more) of the heroes whilst someone else plays as the zombie player?? Just curious. It works a treat in both of my gaming groups and we essentially learn from one another whilst having a lot of fun in the process.

That said, it's a shame about the mindset of your group. For me if I was on the receiving end of a 4:1 unfavourable ratio, I would be inspired to keep going and rise to the challenge rather than become disinterested. Each to their own I guess.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
(10-15-2012 03:40 AM)Bokya Wrote:  Hey all. I've been playing LNOE, but I'm starting to have difficulty keeping people interested. They seem to think that the Zombies are 'OP'. Is there any hints how to play the Heroes properly?

I've got the Base set and Growing Hunger.

Others have posted suggestions to strategies for the heroes to follow. Have you tried pushing some strategy for the heroes to follow?

In my experience, if you put together a group of people who don't know each other, they find it much harder to follow a strategy than a tied group. I don't know if that's the case here, but I'd suggest you aid the players by pushing some form of strategy into their heads and they should have a much more pleasant experience.

As a side note, I've often suggested the following thread from BGG to newbies.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2012, 01:41 PM
I think the main difference is that zombies are early game and heroes are late game. In my group, the other day, the heroes had 2 starting cards, and victor ended up with the chainsaw, so he just ran into the zombies, scoring some kills, but then he thought he was invincible. It was our first GH game, playing the plague carriers scenario (that one that the red zombies cant move but from the hunger), so some cards got them by surprise, but even so... They seem to forget the odds of the dice. Also, I think that sometimes is the best idea to kill zombies, even with ranged weapons. Killing zombies makes them easier to respawn (except when autospawn is on, of course) and sometimes allows them to go great distances, since they can respawn somewhere else. I rarely play with the heroes, but i think the best strategy is just get a lot of cards in the beggining, overpower 1 or 2 heroes, maybe sacrifice one or 2 to lure the zombies away and then for the objective. Another mistake they make, in my opinion, is oversearch, getting cards when theres people needing help, and being selfish, intead of just make a super hero that can beat the crap out of the zombies. Victor with a couple of hand weapons or the priest with faith + chainsaw or garden shears make it really hard for the zombies.
10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I do think it tends to balance out as you play the game more and more. However, I definitely think it is weighted a little tiny bit towards the zombies. And, honestly, I feel like that is the way it should be. It makes for the best thematic feel, and makes the zombies seem like the terrible monsters they should be. It should be like the heroes are fighting against the odds. It should be hard, but of course not near impossible. It makes it all the sweater when the heroes pull out a win. To me, that makes the hero side even more fun than it would be if they just always won easily.
10-16-2012, 09:26 PM
(10-16-2012 11:34 AM)ForestRunner Wrote:  For me if I was on the receiving end of a 4:1 unfavourable ratio, I would be inspired to keep going and rise to the challenge rather than become disinterested. Each to their own I guess.

My sentiments exactly!
10-17-2012, 12:42 AM
One thing I noticed after playing a couple of LNOE games and comparing it to my IFOS experience - in IFOS, it's easier to keep all of your Heroes alive. Because of the Zombie Hunger mechanic, LNOE Heroes will probably resort to using themselves as bait and thus are more likely to die. LNOE human heroes have to accept that they will sometimes need to sacrifice their heroes for the greater good.
10-17-2012, 08:06 AM
(10-17-2012 12:42 AM)LabRat Wrote:  One thing I noticed after playing a couple of LNOE games and comparing it to my IFOS experience - in IFOS, it's easier to keep all of your Heroes alive. Because of the Zombie Hunger mechanic, LNOE Heroes will probably resort to using themselves as bait and thus are more likely to die. LNOE human heroes have to accept that they will sometimes need to sacrifice their heroes for the greater good.

Interesting. But even if the LNoE heroes don't use zombie hunger to their own strategic advantage, it's not unusual to see a few of them ending up as zombie fodder.

I find LNoE to be a tough game for the HPs who has to rely on one or a few survivors to win a scenario whereas the ZP has the numerical strength and as such doesn't get too concerned to see one or more deaths among one's own ranks.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
11-20-2012, 07:38 AM
I've only played a few games so far, but from my experience I also feel as though the zombies have an advantage. They swarm far too fast! For example, I played a round of Save the Townsfolk with 4 friends the other day; the zombie player had 12 zombies on the board by the end of the second turn, while the heroes struggled to search in safe distance. Poor Nurse Becky player spent most of her turns trying to run away due to zombies spawning in the dang hospital. lol. But I think we'll balance it out with more experience. We've only had a few games.
11-20-2012, 10:01 PM
(11-20-2012 07:38 AM)Rullys Wrote:  I've only played a few games so far, but from my experience I also feel as though the zombies have an advantage. They swarm far too fast! For example, I played a round of Save the Townsfolk with 4 friends the other day; the zombie player had 12 zombies on the board by the end of the second turn, while the heroes struggled to search in safe distance. Poor Nurse Becky player spent most of her turns trying to run away due to zombies spawning in the dang hospital. lol. But I think we'll balance it out with more experience. We've only had a few games.

LOL! I know what you mean! I have rarely had a game where there weren't either a) a ton of zombies rolled for the initial zombies or b) most, if not all of them added to the board within the first few rounds.

I think I have only ever had one game take place where the zombie player(s) kept having bad rolls and didn't get to put very many zombies on the board early on.

But, as far as the win loss ratio, once you get a little more accustomed to the game, it does tend to even out at least a little.