Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heroes Underpowered?
11-27-2012, 08:43 PM
RE: Heroes Underpowered?
(11-22-2012 12:45 PM)colorado_13 Wrote:  We are using a house rule to select the heroes, where you get 8 semi-random heroes that form a pool, if the heroes get to pick their heroes freely it gets even more unbalanced.

Not a bad idea. Personally, I typically like to select heroes at random. I think this keeps it most fair, and gives all of the heroes a chance to enter the game from time to time, rather than people always just picking their favorites. But, if your group likes to choose, this or something similar is definitely a good way to make sure they don't just always automatically pick all the heroes they think are most powerful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 10:49 PM
(11-27-2012 08:43 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  
(11-22-2012 12:45 PM)colorado_13 Wrote:  We are using a house rule to select the heroes, where you get 8 semi-random heroes that form a pool, if the heroes get to pick their heroes freely it gets even more unbalanced.

Not a bad idea. Personally, I typically like to select heroes at random. I think this keeps it most fair, and gives all of the heroes a chance to enter the game from time to time, rather than people always just picking their favorites. But, if your group likes to choose, this or something similar is definitely a good way to make sure they don't just always automatically pick all the heroes they think are most powerful.

Ah...so far we have primarily let folks choose their Heroes. It seems to give them a better connection to their character. For example, if my princess-y friend Laura ever drew Jake, I could see her being less than enthused about keeping him alive in hopes of getting a cuter character.

No joke. Insane21
11-28-2012, 12:32 PM
We always draw the heroes at random.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-28-2012, 03:54 PM
I've only played a few games properly but each time it came down to the wire. With me as the zombie player and two experienced Hero players we had one game of Die, Zombies Die actually end in a tie on the last turn (Gasoline can killed the final zombie and 4th hero) and had a lucky series of dice rolls successfully defend the manor at the last moment. I think it probably has less to do with the overall card balance, though there are some pretty nasty zombie cards in GH, but more to do with player teamwork.

If you are reading this you are already too late...
11-29-2012, 01:32 AM
(11-28-2012 03:54 PM)Cyrano89 Wrote:  I've only played a few games properly but each time it came down to the wire. With me as the zombie player and two experienced Hero players we had one game of Die, Zombies Die actually end in a tie on the last turn (Gasoline can killed the final zombie and 4th hero) and had a lucky series of dice rolls successfully defend the manor at the last moment. I think it probably has less to do with the overall card balance, though there are some pretty nasty zombie cards in GH, but more to do with player teamwork.

Committing to memory here, as I don't have LNoE close at the minute, but I'm sure Die Zombies Die has killing two heroes as a Zombie victory condition.

Anyway, using such an example of final hero death on the last turn to achieve the victory, in our game we'd award the win to the Heroes under "ultimate Heroic sacrifice" conditions.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
11-29-2012, 04:58 AM
In our LNoE sessions I will always choose my Heroes randomly, as I do in most games where forming a lasting attachment to a character is less than likely. The fun of games like LNoE is how much variety there is, not just in scenarios but in character combinations and unlikely duos forming the likes of which even the most daring zombie stories hesitate to imagine. Playing different characters gives me a chance to utilize different skill-sets within the game.

Sure, Jake has an absurdly powerful set of skills that make him a mobile-miss-machine, but if I had to play using that strategy of gameplay every time I'd just be bored to tears after three or four games. Winning isn't as important as enjoying the experience.
11-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I usually let my men select the heroes as they see fit, just like the rules allow them to. One of my dear RPG friends however always insists on drawing 2 Heroes at random and only then chooses which one to keep. I have yet to name him Cartwright for doing this but the group has more or less adopted this method of choosing ones Heroes and it's a good compromise.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
11-29-2012, 09:07 PM
(11-29-2012 04:58 AM)Irish Daigle Wrote:  In our LNoE sessions I will always choose my Heroes randomly, as I do in most games where forming a lasting attachment to a character is less than likely. The fun of games like LNoE is how much variety there is, not just in scenarios but in character combinations and unlikely duos forming the likes of which even the most daring zombie stories hesitate to imagine. Playing different characters gives me a chance to utilize different skill-sets within the game.

Sure, Jake has an absurdly powerful set of skills that make him a mobile-miss-machine, but if I had to play using that strategy of gameplay every time I'd just be bored to tears after three or four games. Winning isn't as important as enjoying the experience.

That's exactly how I feel... well, except that I could never get bored of this game. LOL! But, I feel that choosing the heroes at random gives much more variety to the game, which is one of the things that makes this game so awesome! The only time I will make an exception is the first few times after I get each new expansion the includes new heroes. I'll definitely want a chance to play as each of the new heroes before I move back to completely random.
11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
We always draw 2, choose 1, after everybody has drawn, so the heroes can discuss which to choose.

Cheerio,
ST

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
11-30-2012, 08:35 PM
(11-30-2012 11:50 AM)SovTech Wrote:  We always draw 2, choose 1, after everybody has drawn, so the heroes can discuss which to choose.

Cheerio,
ST

Yeah, that's a cool idea too. Then, that does give the hero players the chance to choose which heroes to use while still also making it somewhat random. Especially as you get the expansions and have more and more heroes from which to choose.