Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Holidays and stuff
11-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Holidays and stuff
I was just watching a program about the Dark Ages, there was this prof. comparing it to today. He was an american, and said that today we work 50 weeks a year. Bloody Hell!!!
It made me wonder about holidays and stuff in other countries. I live in the UK and I get 8 weeks paid holiday a year. I work 37.5 hours a week. If I go off sick I get 6 months full pay, then 6 months half pay.
What about you guys?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
RE: Holidays and stuff
must you rub it in?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-22-2009, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2009 02:45 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Well as an employee of the basket case that is the State
of New Jersey -I get 5 weeks paid Vac,(but thats because
I've been working for them forever-it starts at 2 weeks,
and they add a week every 5 years).You can save
up days you don't take & carry them over into the next
year up to a max =to the yearly vacation days you get.

I get 15 paid sick days a year & what you don't use you
save (I currently have over a years worth saved).If
I can ever retire they will pay me for 1/2 of my unused
sick time up to a max.of $6000.

We use to get 15 paid Holidays but it's down to 13 now.

We also get get 3 personal days a year (use or loose)
OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-22-2009, 02:32 PM
deadandwalking Wrote:must you rub it in?

So, what do you get?
11-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Cymrusaint Wrote:
deadandwalking Wrote:must you rub it in?

So, what do you get?

nada. i'm a night auditor and a writer in training...
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2009 04:11 PM by mqstout.)
3 weeks 2 days per year... And it started at 2/2, but went to 3/2 after 5 years at the same place. Those are days off I can schedule any time. (The extra "2" are those that can be taken that don't need to be scheduled in advance.) Paid. However, they don't ever just magically reset at a given time. The accrue at the rate of 1.25 days off per month; and I can never save more than 15 days at a time.

I also get 10 "standard" holidays per year off that the place is closed. (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, New Years Eve and Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day). Paid.

Sick time, I'm allowed one day per month, that, if unused, accrues up to a maximum of 120 days. (Paid.) Using more than 3 at a time requires a doctor's excuse. If you're sick more than this allotment, the US federal FMLA law kicks in, and you can, with doctor's approval, take off 12 weeks of unpaid time per year.

And! I have better time off than most people (I work at a University)... I know plenty of people who have one "paid time off" pool that is used for both sick AND vacation time. Get sick, lose your vacation.
11-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, as a substitute teacher, I don't get any paid time off. When I have my own classroom, I technically don't get any paid time off for the summer or other breaks, though most school districts spread out payroll over the year, since there's a contract for the school year and all.
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
mqstout Wrote:3 weeks 2 days per year... And it started at 2/2, but went to 3/2 after 5 years at the same place. Those are days off I can schedule any time. (The extra "2" are those that can be taken that don't need to be scheduled in advance.) Paid. However, they don't ever just magically reset at a given time. The accrue at the rate of 1.25 days off per month; and I can never save more than 15 days at a time.

I also get 10 "standard" holidays per year off that the place is closed. (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, New Years Eve and Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day). Paid.

Sick time, I'm allowed one day per month, that, if unused, accrues up to a maximum of 120 days. (Paid.) Using more than 3 at a time requires a doctor's excuse. If you're sick more than this allotment, the US federal FMLA law kicks in, and you can, with doctor's approval, take off 12 weeks of unpaid time per year.

And! I have better time off than most people (I work at a University)... I know plenty of people who have one "paid time off" pool that is used for both sick AND vacation time. Get sick, lose your vacation.

Blimey, they seem to be a bit tight, on the old sick pay over there in the States. I had 4 weeks off last year, my blood pressure was high, and the doctors couldn't, get it to come down. It was great, I was off on full pay and didn't feel ill. I had loads of tests, and ended up on two tablets a day, for the rest of my life, and it didn't, and doesn't cost me a penny.
I know the NHS has had a bit of a slating over there in the States recently. But, as someone who works for it, and has been a patient I wouldn't swap it.
11-23-2009, 03:36 AM
I work 7 days on then get 7 days off(80hours).So technically I work 182.5 days a year or exactly half the year and get half the year off.
I am currently at 3(4 next year) weeks paid holidays(but do I really need them I get every other week off?
I also get paid triple time for working any holiday and can bank the extra two days per shift to take of later up to a maximum of 80hours then I must take 8 days off or be paid out.
I get 12 sick days per year carried over or accumulated until retirement.I don't take time off for sick.
I love my job!!!
11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I've been without a job for almost 8 months. Try as I might, I can't find a thing.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga