Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES
05-19-2009, 05:18 PM
RE: Horror Movie discussion: ZOMBIES
A couple of movies I've just recently watched, if anyone wants to discuss (within the zombie genre)...

PLANET TERROR....an homage to the 'b' drive in movie theater fare.....fantastic! Over the top, cheesy, great characters...just loved it.

UNDEAD: An Australian zombie/alien movie....I couldn't decide if it were tongue in cheek, or serious....at times both. Worth a watch, I suppose, but a very odd mix.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2009, 06:24 PM
both movies i liked alot, undead is harder to like but if you get past it all its a very funny movie.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
Find all posts by this user
05-21-2009, 04:45 PM
My favorites are (in order of entertainment value):

Dawn of the Dead (the original)

Shawn of the Dead - Which incidentally, was created because they had so much fun filming an episode of Spaced where Simon's character began hallucinating zombies after having played a little too much Resident Evil (absolutely hilarious episode).

28 Days Later - While I have a big problem with rape in movies, it made some sense for the situation and was mildly forgivable seeing as how none of it came to pass. I think I would have preferred the alternate ending (if you get a chance to check it out: do so).

Night of the Living Dead (the remake, directed by Tom Savini) - If you're not familiar with Savini, check out the link and his bio. Dude's a freakin' zombie-master.
A side note on this one: Savini played the Biker leader in the original Dawn (his first role in a zombie-flick). At the beginning of Dawn, during the long sequence when they're flying in the helicopter, Fran looks down to see a bunch of hoop-hollering hicks gathering on the ground... At the end of his Night remake, Barbara falls in with the hicks and looks up at the chopper flying overhead as she gets out of the truck. It's the same scene replicated from the ground.

Evil Dead 2 - The first one was good, but Rami was actually trying to make a scary movie. He understood the film and his audience better in 2. It just got blatantly cheezy in Bruce Campbell vs. the Army of Darkness (which is strangely the only one of the series I own). I still love all three, but 2 is my fav.

Dawn of the Dead (the remake) - Since I hadn't seen 28 Days before I saw this one, this was my first exposure to the fast zombie. I dug it. From a scientific view (I always like to see this side, having an overly-analytical mind myself) I thought it made more sense for them to be fast. A body's a body, regardless of what controls it. If there's muscle tissue it can still contract the same. As somebody mentioned (on the first page, I think?), if the tissue has deteriorated or has been lost (say in the case of being eaten away) then the body is limited only by what is left.

Those are my top 5.

I didn't care for 28 weeks later - was just about the blood and gore. Characters were way under-developed. The development of the survivors is what draws you into a zombie film. You want them to survive and it makes it that much more desolate and unforgiving when they don't. The only character I thought had potential ate it like, less than halfway through the film from his own, not-dead buddies. LAAAME.

Land of the Dead... What can I say about this one... Umm... It had zombies?... The idea was interesting, but execution was poor... sort of like Van Helsing. Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo are not that bad of actors, but they both come off that way in this film.

On the other side, I haven't seen, but can't wait for The Revenant. Awesome looking B-movie destined for cult-classic.
05-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Coolio!

Thanks for the listings, I love seeing other peoples thoughts and opinions on this stuff.

Tom Savini was also in the Planet terror film I just watched....great stuff!

The Revenant looks really cool.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2014, 05:20 PM
question for supervike
(05-21-2009 04:58 PM)supervike Wrote:  Coolio!

Thanks for the listings, I love seeing other peoples thoughts and opinions on this stuff.

Tom Savini was also in the Planet terror film I just watched....great stuff!

The Revenant looks really cool.

Hey Supervike, I came across this thread from 2009 and it intrigued me because you were a zombie movie novice at the time. Five years later, you have had time to do some serious zombie watching. So I am wondering what your favorite zom movies are now.

By the way I loved the discussion in the thread and the recommended movies. Great stuff, some of which I still haven't seen because I am trying to hit many different horror subgenres.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War