Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How are Vallejo paints compared to GW?
01-10-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: How are Vallejo paints compared to GW?
(12-04-2012 10:32 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  The second issue is that a lot of vallejo paints, particularly their browns, greens, and some blues, have a relatively high 'fail rate', reverting to a thin, useless state. At 1.75$ or so a tube, this isn't catastrophic, but you need to prepare yourself for the possibility that one out of five of your 225$ briefcase might be unusable, and that's a serious problem.
Ouch, I've been thinking of trying out Vallejo, but this doesn't sound very good. For some reason I thought that GW would be the low quality stuff, not sure why.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 07:14 PM
(01-10-2013 10:05 AM)Sierra Wrote:  
(12-04-2012 10:32 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  The second issue is that a lot of vallejo paints, particularly their browns, greens, and some blues, have a relatively high 'fail rate', reverting to a thin, useless state. At 1.75$ or so a tube, this isn't catastrophic, but you need to prepare yourself for the possibility that one out of five of your 225$ briefcase might be unusable, and that's a serious problem.
Ouch, I've been thinking of trying out Vallejo, but this doesn't sound very good. For some reason I thought that GW would be the low quality stuff, not sure why.

GW paints are really high quality. Unfortunately so is the price...
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
(01-10-2013 07:14 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  GW paints are really high quality. Unfortunately so is the price...
I don't expect to need that much paint as I don't do miniature gaming anymore, and only need it for spicing up boardgame miniatures. Cheap is nice of course, but I don't mind paying a little extra if I know what I get is good!

"What is it about a zombie that appeals to me? I don't know. Maybe that it's just the most possible - I don't know - of all the supernatural entities."
- Scott Ian
01-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Ok I just received my Reaper set of 216 paints. At $365 (free shipping) for 216 paints Id say that blows away the competition. The guy is great to work with and sells the sets on ebay. He also sells the empty Reaper bottles for 50 cents each as well perfect for converting any GW paints to dropper bottles (which is what im also doing).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2013, 08:09 AM
I was looking at the reaper paints and almost got them.. Over the years I've used craft paints, testors, GW, and a few weird name paints from the hobby shop. I am not a great painter by any means, but out of what I have used, Citadel paints (GW) has always been quality. The only issue I have ever had was a paint pot of grey was a little thick. It was a layer paint and when I opened it it was almost like their dry. Oh well, I thin it on the fly, not an issue. Sure their paint is pricy, but between their book and DVD (which you can watch on YouTube), and the stuff in white dwarf it all comes together and makes it a no brainer. On their site they have a chart showing base oat, wash, layer1, layer2, and dry rush colors to achieve a certain effect. I was wondering how GW and reaper paints react to each other as I do like some of the reaper shades. I had an issue with testors once not liking another brand. I'm also a little biased too, I read a lot of warhammer fiction, old world and 40K, and love the quality of their mini's...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM
(01-10-2013 08:20 PM)Sierra Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 07:14 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  GW paints are really high quality. Unfortunately so is the price...
I don't expect to need that much paint as I don't do miniature gaming anymore, and only need it for spicing up boardgame miniatures. Cheap is nice of course, but I don't mind paying a little extra if I know what I get is good!

My situation exactly.