Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How-do Peeps
02-20-2011, 08:12 PM
How-do Peeps
Hi

Just thought i better say hello... 'Hello!'

Aging gamer found my way here from BGG after seeing D153453D's Inferno expansion there. Actually, I think I may have been here before... at some time....erm, getting old... did I mention that?

Anyway, big zombie fan of course (traditional zombies, not the misinterpretation of 28 Days Later - they aint dead, they aint zombies, ask Danny Boyle... ahem). Board game wise I have....

LNoE/Growing Hunger/Survival of the Fittest
All Things Zombie: Better Dead Than Zed (slowly building my zombie horde (40+ so far) and gangs of survivours (those LNoE figures sure come in handy))
All Things Zombie: The Boardgame
Dead of Night (PnP game, actually waiting on it being made up by a fellow BGG member)
Zombie State: Diplomacy of the Dead
Incursion (boardgame version of Secrets of the Third Reich - well it's got zombies in it!)

Got a nice collection of related books, music and of course lovely zombie films - but too many to mention.

Erm, and I tend to be really quiet or ramble on for ages about random topics....erm, did I say I was old...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ. Zombie16

My BGG User Page
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2011, 08:46 PM
RE: How-do Peeps
Welcome to the forum Nyogtha. What a weird nickname...does it mean something or is it on old language Zombie03

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Ya, your name looks kinda like it is from a Lovecraft story. I like it.

Welcome to the site. Have you met OldDwarf (OD)? He usually says "Hey" to the new members. You guys may have quite a bit in common. Insane20
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
It is indeed from Lovecraft, or to be precise is a Great Old One that forms part of the Cthulhu Mythos. Nyogtha - The Thing That Should Not Be; Haunter of the Red Abyss.

First appeared in the The Salem Horror by Henry Kutter (1937). Stephen King also did a nice short story set in Crouch End in London, called Crouch End surprisingly. Watchmen02

My BGG User Page
02-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Welcome to our first GOO!!We can always use another Codger.
You list Zombie State...do you like the Game,I've sorta kept an eye on it
but never pulled the trigger.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Welcome Aboard! Hope you have a great time here and enjoy your stay with us.
02-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Hi-didily-doo there, peep.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
02-21-2011, 01:10 AM
(02-20-2011 10:38 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Welcome to our first GOO!!We can always use another Codger.
You list Zombie State...do you like the Game,I've sorta kept an eye on it
but never pulled the trigger.

OD

Yeah it's a lot of fun, never had a clear win (had my area zombie free) though. Some of the terms are a little strange and it takes a while before you get what they were meaning. For instance, each zone has a level of population that is 'eaten' away by the zombies. But it doesn't actually directly represent an area's population. A more accurate term would have been infrastructure, as it represent the cohesion of society in that region as a whole (deaths (via zombies or otherwise), people fleeing the area, breakdown of institutions (police, etc).

There are a few other instances like this. Whether it just was just bad translation or bad choice of terminology on the part of the designers. Either way, it's still a great game. And although it has 'some' very slight similarities to Pandemic it is in no way a zombie themed version of that game any more than it is a version of Risk.

Also very customisable.

My BGG User Page
02-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Welcome, How is All Things Zombie?
02-21-2011, 03:11 AM
Hello, Nyogtha. I enjoyed reading your little ramble, lol. Welcome to TZG!

[img]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/044/a/b/ab57ead96545f9f083422696827cf192-d39i2v4.png[/img]