Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you pick. . .
07-12-2012, 08:13 AM
How do you pick. . .
Just wanting to know if anyone has come up with some cool ways to pick Heroes and scenario's and board pieces.

I've been working on a way to balance player choice with random draws to both force players to play different heroes, and yet still let them have a shot at some of their favorites. The best one I've done so far goes as follows:

1. draw four random heroes, set aside in the "hero pool"
2. The Zombie player and Human players then each ban 2 hero's from the remaining hero cards.
3. Now the humans and zombies each pick two heroes to go into the Hero Pool, bringing it up to 8 cards.
4. Draw 4 of the 8 and trade between players if wanted.

The other 4 then form the "first in" of any replacement heroes.

Scenario is picked first, then the heroes, and lastly a similar draft for board pieces.

Two early results I have enjoyed is second and third time players discussing what heroes to pick to balance the team, and when an unbalanced team is drawn how they have adapted to make it work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
RE: How do you pick. . .
Usually, we just shuffle the cards and hand each player a hero. No picking or choosing whatsoever.

Lately, when we have more heroes thanks to the expansions, people get to draw two heroes, then choose between those two.
07-12-2012, 12:00 PM
We just randomly Heroes.Play with what you get.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Shuffle the hero character cards and fan out like a magic trick and "pick a card any card" and that's your hero. Same with L shape boards heroes choose 1 each randomly.
07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Shuffle and deal, or (rarely), assign/each player selects.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2012, 04:00 PM
(07-12-2012 12:57 PM)alderdust Wrote:  Shuffle the hero character cards and fan out like a magic trick and "pick a card any card" and that's your hero. Same with L shape boards heroes choose 1 each randomly.

Ditto!
07-12-2012, 07:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 05:06 PM by StayPuft.)
So far, for me it has depened. I love this game, and all the heroes, so I don't mind who I get. Mind you, of course I am developing some favorites, but I don't really care who I get. So, I draw at random.

For my group, what we did and will likely continue to do, is a mix based on our particular moods at the time. First timers, we typically had pick one randomly. Then, after you have played a few times, we kind of varied it. You can decide you want to pick, or we can decide as a team just to all pick at random.

So, no real specific uniform way for us so far. Same with scenarios. Though, the board pieces we have always picked at random.
07-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Hi. I like to be able to pick my team players. I think it only makes sense to play with a team you want to play with.

(last night i played sheriff anderson and rachelle, in defend the manor. my co-bleeder was johnny and amanda. We lost when the sun dail tracker was on number 6. well, we didnt actually lose. its just that all 4 of us were dead)

I normally pick the green and brown Heroes. The other players also pick their Team members.

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
07-14-2012, 01:19 PM
If its 1 hero each, we draw 2 randomly and chose 1. If its 2 heroes each we draw 3 and chose 2. Mostly as we have played it a lot and really like to randomly getting new heroes while at the same time not having to play the same heroes in the games.

Just Keep Repeating It...
[img=468x60]http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10169/normal_itsonlyamovieinvert.jpg[/img]
07-15-2012, 09:26 AM
I love drawing everything randomly, from heroes, to L shapes, to randomly rolling for optional rules. Makes every game session a little more interesting and forces people to try new things.

In my current Pathfinder campaign everyone but my brother and my friends girlfriend drew randomly for what class, race, and sex their character would be with no option to not play it. I have never played a prep caster and I ended up drawing a male halfling witch. I was mad when I got it because prep casting annoys me, I am more of a Hulk Smash melee player. But I have enjoyed playing this character so much I would be willing to randomly draw like this for any campaign we play in the future. Everyone who drew random ended up playing a class they wouldnt normally pick so it has been a really interesting and fun campaign as we are all learning to play classes we normally would never even try. If anyone plays D&D or other table top rpg's, I highly recommend giving this a shot, it has changed and helped our group become better Role Players and even strategists. Drawing randomly for sex has been strange as some people have a really hard time gender bending a character, most male players I have played with always end up making their female character a bit of a whore. If you have more mature players though this is really fun because they learn to try and use their characters sex to get ahead without being slutty leaving you with a much ore fun character to have in your party.

I am too long winded on most of my posts, I know. I just always have a lot to say when the subject interests me.