Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you pick. . .
07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
RE: How do you pick. . .
In any game where there's more than double the possible classes/characters/whatever than players, my group always goes 'draw N+1, pick N' where N is the number of whatevers necessary to play. Descent, LNoE, Arkham, Dungeon Run... Probably AToE when we (hopefully) start playing that with more than just 'me, solo'.

That said... when I play solo AToE, I just do 'draw N'.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2012, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 04:23 AM by avalanche5160.)
In my group we have been doing random choice of both L-pieces and characters. Once both are randomly chosen, we then allow the heroes to discard one L-piece and one character to redraw new ones if they wish. This has kept the balance of our game play even. Also it allows the heroes to take a chance to better equip themselves.
07-18-2012, 03:33 PM
I play solo a lot, so roll blind for each L shape and select on a 4, 5 or 6 until you have the four corner boards.

For heroes, similar, but select on a 5 or 6. Can take a while but it is totally random.
04-28-2014, 09:46 PM
If anyone has a Scenario they want to do we do that, otherwise random everything for my group.
05-01-2014, 10:44 PM
If I am playing a scenario that seems to favor Zombies, or it would be difficult with random heroes then I choose them. But most times I select at random by letting people pick 2 and then keep 1 to play.
08-05-2014, 12:07 AM
we randomly select game type, heroes and maps.
08-10-2014, 05:16 PM
We randomly select the maps, but if the players weren't able to pick characters they enjoyed (not for their powers, but because of their characterization), we probably would never play this game. My wife adores the character of Sam, for example, and would not enjoy it if she couldn't play her diner cook. Therefore, people always get to pick what hero they want to play.

We usually pick a few different scenarios people would be interested in playing, and then select one of those randomly.
08-11-2014, 12:21 PM
All hero cards placed face down and laid out on the table, players take a turn flipping card over to choose their hero.

Same for scenarios, one player chooses. However if scenario has been played previously (within 1-2 weeks) we take that card out for variety.

Find it works Well.
08-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Random Scenario
Random board sections
Random Characters
(in that order)

Put this random number generator on your phone/computer whatever. It works a treat.

http://www.random.org/widgets/integers/i...&fixed=off
08-11-2014, 05:09 PM
After playing this a lot, and getting almost all of the expansions, one thing I am finding is that some heroes were just never hitting the table. We tend to draw at random, yet somehow some of them just never seemed to be picked. So, another thing we recently started doing is a sort of "draft" thing. You select two heroes, then choose one to keep and place the other back. That way, it gives us a better chance of seeing more varied heroes hit the table, and a little better of a chance that you don't get stuck with a character you didn't really want. LOL!