Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How much replayability?
02-15-2009, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2009 11:36 PM by n107.)
How much replayability?
In the flood of emotions upon discovering "Last Night on Earth" exists and my continuing search to get my hands on it, I've been ignoring everything about "A Touch of Evil". I've seen the box art, seen the name, and, more importantly, found a website in Japan that sells it (for now).

I finally decided to look into the game and, much like the elusive LNoE, this game seems dripping with atmosphere. I don't know who these Flying Frog people are, but why weren't they making these games back when I lived in the US and had a conveniently located gaming shop near my home? These games seem from my outsider's perspective to be made by fans of the genre who have the know how to translate that into a board game experience. Keep in mind, I haven't played either, but I've read the rulebooks and I'm not only a BG fan but a fan of zombie and old monster movies.

However, one thing caught my attention after reading through the booklet and multiple posts on BGG: there are only 4 villains. This concerns me that there will not be a lot of replayability when fighting the same 4 monsters. True there's a web exclusive monster and an expansion on the way, but keep in mind this game will cost me roughly US$100. I'm willing to pay it, but I need to know if it stays fresh and original even after you go through all four monsters.

I've read people say that it's never the same game twice, but they don't explain how. That doesn't mean it's really going to be a different experience. Much like "Left 4 Dead", it could mean that in game A a zombie spawns in the left room, in game B he spawns in the right. Yes it's random, yes it changes each time, but it's still the same experience. How does AToE keep things unique and worth killing (or attempting to do so) a Scarecrow multiple times?

Another member on BGG wrote that after you go through the monsters once, you know exactly how to prepare to face them so it becomes a lot easier. That's sort of what I hope to avoid. I don't want it to become easier after I see a villain once, especially since there are only 4. And I know there are/will be online fan-made villains which may be cool but I've always been reluctant to use anything fan-made in games. I don't know why, but I've always preferred the original source over fan stuff. Even the few times I've made my own content for games, I've refused to use them. :rolleyes:

So if anyone could be kind enough to explain these things in detail, I'd be very grateful. I know it's an annoying thing to ask, but if there's anyone who just wants to ramble on explaining the game, now's your chance. The more to read, the better. I want to know if I can justify spending $100 on this since my true goal, LNoE, isn't available.

Oh and if anyone has magical powers and can find me an online store full of saints and other mythical heroes who'd be willing to ship LNoE or AToE to Japan without the exorbitant shipping fee, I'll buy you a muffin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2009, 11:58 PM
RE: How much replayability?
One quick note, there are five villains: one's a free PDF download.

You can also count the "competitive" and "cooperative" play modes separately, as they play that differently enough.

Personally, I do find AToE less replayable than LNOE, if only because it has no expansion yet, and (more importantly?) because the board is always static. It is, however, a somewhat more strategic game.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Check out the War Store....here's a link to his 'international policies'

E-mail the owner with questions...the guy is awesome, and I order from them ALOT. (ashamed to say)

http://www.thewarstore.com/InternationalOrders.html
02-16-2009, 03:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2009 05:25 AM by n107.)
supervike Wrote:Check out the War Store....here's a link to his 'international policies'

E-mail the owner with questions...the guy is awesome, and I order from them ALOT. (ashamed to say)

http://www.thewarstore.com/InternationalOrders.html

I just checked to see how much shipping would be if I bought one game and it's about 40% less than most other sources I've found, so that's a good thing. Thanks for suggesting the site, I may go that route.

Now I just need the answers about AToE.

EDIT: Wow, I just checked the price if I had LNoE and GH shipped to me and it would still be less than the cost of AToE alone from the shop in Japan. I just may have to do it.
02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
First of all let me second the War Store;)It has great prices & service.I get everything I can through them.

As To AToE & replay ,well yes "official"Villans are only 5 &
once you had a few games against each it does rather
seem familiar.The advance rules & competetive vs co-op play
will provide some variety & of course the cards generated will
vary each game,Also you have 8 heros & they play differently
so even if its the same villian your Hero makes the approach different.

The Board as mentioned is static so there does come a point
where it can seem like the same game over & over(I haven't reached this point yet)like Monopoly (which seems to do ok for
a static boardZombie17 ).

We know a major expansion is comming in 09 so FFP is supporting it.I've converted over all my Arkham Horror
Stuff to AToE System (I posted the early stuff here but
a lots been modified-maybe some day I'll get around to
brining it up to date.

The point in all this is AToE has as much replayability
as most other games.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Old Dwarf Wrote:First of all let me second the War Store;)It has great prices & service.I get everything I can through them.

As To AToE & replay ,well yes "official"Villans are only 5 &
once you had a few games against each it does rather
seem familiar.The advance rules & competetive vs co-op play
will provide some variety & of course the cards generated will
vary each game,Also you have 8 heros & they play differently
so even if its the same villian your Hero makes the approach different.

The Board as mentioned is static so there does come a point
where it can seem like the same game over & over(I haven't reached this point yet)like Monopoly (which seems to do ok for
a static boardZombie17 ).

We know a major expansion is comming in 09 so FFP is supporting it.I've converted over all my Arkham Horror
Stuff to AToE System (I posted the early stuff here but
a lots been modified-maybe some day I'll get around to
brining it up to date.

The point in all this is AToE has as much replayability
as most other games.

OD

Thanks. That seems like a pretty reasonable break down of the game's replayability. I suppose that while I was focused on the limited number of villains, I ignored the fact that there are 8 characters who may also play uniquely. So are the characters really that different from each other that you need a different strategy for each one? If so, then that would stretch out the life of the game. I'm not too worried about the static board, though a more customizable one such as in LNoE might have been much more interesting.

Now another question about the website, the War Store. If you order with them, do they mail you to inform you exactly when a package is shipped? And do they give you a tracking number?
02-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes they send you all kinds of E-mailZombie17.They acknowledge the order then when its shipped you get a notice & a tracking #.

The use to use UPS but recently my stuff has been coming via USPS.You can also e-mail Neil a question directly & usually get a quick response.They have a Store Form but it seems to take forever if you post a question on it.The stuff is always well packed.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Well I made my order and got the shipping emails. I got LNoE and Growing Hunger, didn't get AToE yet since that's still available in this country at least. Plus my original goal was LNoE and, as I said, I could get that and the expansion and pay less than buying just AToE, even with the shipping cost included. Not a bad deal. Plus it leaves AToE out there longer so maybe by the time I do get around to it, the expansion will be out and I'll have more to play with, literally.

Now all I have to do is hope it arrives here safely. Should take about a week like most packages. Then I hope everyone here is up for some conversation/questions about it because I love talking about new games with like-minded people.
02-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Great purchase n107. You're going to love it. Welcome to the board!

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
02-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Hmm, I just got another email from the War Store saying I've been charged an extra $20 with no explanation as to why. I'm getting a little worried now about the reliability of the store, but I'm waiting for a reply from Neal.