Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: How often do you game with a FFP game? (on average)
A few times a week
Twice a week
Once a week
Once a fortnight
Once a month
Once a year
I...really can't remember...
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How often do you play a FFP game (on average)
06-18-2014, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 10:46 PM by samuraitrev.)
How often do you play a FFP game (on average)
So I was wondering how often you guys got to game nowadays. Here's why I think some of us are gaming less.

1) Many of us have less (spare) money than we had say 5 years ago due to rising inflation and low to 0 pay increases. = less to spend on essentials such as games/paints/miniatures.

2) To counter financial issues we're actually working more hours= less time to game.

3) Extra work = less energy to game individually and as a group.

4) More choices of games (other than FFP games) since the creation of kickstarter (which I think is a good thing)

Here's a few thoughts I would like to hear your side. Do you play more than a year ago? Less? or about the same? Let's talk about it and maybe work out why this is and further more can these issues be fixed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2014, 03:11 PM
RE: How often do you play a FFP game (on average)
I gamed more about 6 years ago. It helped because my significant other would game as well, so we'd game together. Alas if I could've trusted her it might have been a match made in heaven. But I digress.

Lately, purchasing a house and all the issues and time I've had to put into it the past 4 months has drained me financially, physically and mentally. There's a definite lack of time. I think your choices 2, 3 and 4 are spot on.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2014, 03:51 PM
A little bit of (4) and a lot of "Other people moving away/getting married/having kids/etc." It's not me having less time, it's me having fewer people with enough time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2014, 11:55 PM
My Gaming just varies, I can get caught up in a new Game & play weekly but right now I'm
doing a painting project on the ACW.

I haven't played an FFG this year even though I purchased the F&G Expansion.
I may not until SoB is delivered.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-20-2014, 12:58 AM
(06-19-2014 03:11 PM)Sarku Wrote:  I gamed more about 6 years ago. It helped because my significant other would game as well, so we'd game together. Alas if I could've trusted her it might have been a match made in heaven. But I digress.

You too huh? Insane19

(06-19-2014 03:11 PM)Sarku Wrote:  ...I think your choices 2, 3 and 4 are spot on.

Agreed. I'd throw in a #5 of personal issues & #6 lifestyle changes in general. Depression keeps me from playing a lot of the games I want to, because I don't "feel like it", which I'd count as #5. Insane19

(06-19-2014 11:55 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I haven't played an FFG this year even though I purchased the F&G Expansion.

OD

You too huh? I bought all the FanG expansion stuff. Haven't played it since. Hopefully "someday soon". Insane19

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
I found my way into board gaming late in life (within the past ~5 years) so I can't say that I play any less than I used to.

In my core group, the games do not tend to the co-op or team style of games. Nations, Civilization, Eclipse, and Twilight Imperium are most often the choices. I attempted to introduce LNoE into this group back when all I had was TP. I think the strategy aspect of the game was a bit light for this group.

I have also played with some other groups, and made an attempt to get LNoE on the table once in a while, but I usually only find a couple of people who are into the zombie genre. Most people in these groups act like interest in zombies might be catching...

I have recently taken to hosting my own gaming sessions about once a month. Battlestar Galactica is the most common game during those events (another game that doesn't make it on the table with my core group), but I recently hosted an LNoE night, and it went pretty well.

Hopefully, I'll be able to have a few more LNoE events, but family commitments will never allow me to host more than once a month, and I want to mix in some Arkham Horror events as well.

So... I guess #4 is the most accurate choice, although the choices in games have very little to do with KickStarter.
06-20-2014, 08:06 PM
I used to get to play Last Night On Earth all the time. Used to play a lot with my gaming group, but we've been playing a lot of other games lately. I also used to play all the time with my best friend, but now we are roommates. Sadly, for some reason living together makes it seem kind of common place, I guess. We hang out all the time, so getting together to hang out isn't quite as big a deal. So, during our free time, we tend to just watch TV or movies, or something lazy like that, and rarely wind up playing board games anymore.

Still, I try to get a chance to play LNOE every now and then, as well as A Touch of Evil.
06-21-2014, 12:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2014 12:51 AM by Slurpee Shoes.)
I game more than ever BECAUSE me and my wife moved far away from all our friends. Now we have nobody to hang out with but each other. So, while my gaming group now only consists of only the two of us, we're stuck with each other all the time. So we play games.
06-23-2014, 04:32 PM
(06-21-2014 12:50 AM)Slurpee Shoes Wrote:  I game more than ever BECAUSE me and my wife moved far away from all our friends. Now we have nobody to hang out with but each other. So, while my gaming group now only consists of only the two of us, we're stuck with each other all the time. So we play games.

That is good! I wish it worked that way for my best friend and I, but we tend to be lazier now that we are roomies. LOL! We used to hang out all the time and we'd do stuff like board games, but now living together, we hang out all the time. So we tend to just do movies or whatever, or otherwise do our own thing.

Of course, when I was with my ex, I never got to play my board games either, but that is a whole story of its own. LOL! Thank goodness for my gaming group. Just wish we could cycle Last Night On Earth in more often.
06-26-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2014 05:05 PM by samuraitrev.)
(06-19-2014 03:11 PM)Sarku Wrote:  I gamed more about 6 years ago. It helped because my significant other would game as well, so we'd game together. Alas if I could've trusted her it might have been a match made in heaven. But I digress.

Lately, purchasing a house and all the issues and time I've had to put into it the past 4 months has drained me financially, physically and mentally. There's a definite lack of time. I think your choices 2, 3 and 4 are spot on.

I hope you turn this corner and rediscover the happy days of gaming.

(06-19-2014 03:51 PM)mqstout Wrote:  A little bit of (4) and a lot of "Other people moving away/getting married/having kids/etc." It's not me having less time, it's me having fewer people with enough time.

I've got friends who've married with kids and it does seriously hit the gaming time. I just hope you find some gamers who haven't gave up gaming just because they've tied the knot and sired a sprog or two. Marriage and parenting doesn't mean you have to stop gaming. Gaming is one of the few things that helps me face the real world! It's fair to say gaming is escapism and what's wrong with wanting to get away from work, bills, stress and reality, at least for a brief spell!

(06-19-2014 11:55 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  My Gaming just varies, I can get caught up in a new Game & play weekly but right now I'm doing a painting project on the ACW.

I haven't played an FFG this year even though I purchased the F&G Expansion.
I may not until SoB is delivered.

OD

I'm sure there'll be quite a bit more FFP gaming once SoB arrives. I'm glad you're still getting to game quite often! Even if it isn't FFP games.

(06-20-2014 12:58 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Agreed. I'd throw in a #5 of personal issues & #6 lifestyle changes in general. Depression keeps me from playing a lot of the games I want to, because I don't "feel like it", which I'd count as #5. Insane19

I have a friend who's suffered and is still suffering from depression at the moment and I understand exactly what you mean when you say you 'don't feel like it' because he's the same with everything. I just bug him all the time and get him to come out of his flat. The best of luck with the future and I hope life gets better. Maybe a look at the FanG stuff would be a good idea...

(06-20-2014 07:56 PM)brunoreturns Wrote:  I found my way into board gaming late in life (within the past ~5 years) so I can't say that I play any less than I used to.

In my core group, the games do not tend to the co-op or team style of games. Nations, Civilization, Eclipse, and Twilight Imperium are most often the choices. I attempted to introduce LNoE into this group back when all I had was TP. I think the strategy aspect of the game was a bit light for this group.

I have also played with some other groups, and made an attempt to get LNoE on the table once in a while, but I usually only find a couple of people who are into the zombie genre. Most people in these groups act like interest in zombies might be catching...

I have recently taken to hosting my own gaming sessions about once a month. Battlestar Galactica is the most common game during those events (another game that doesn't make it on the table with my core group), but I recently hosted an LNoE night, and it went pretty well.

Hopefully, I'll be able to have a few more LNoE events, but family commitments will never allow me to host more than once a month, and I want to mix in some Arkham Horror events as well.

So... I guess #4 is the most accurate choice, although the choices in games have very little to do with KickStarter.

It sounds like you get to game now and again. Just keep working on your group sometimes all they need is a bit of pushing!
Happy gamingWatchmen02

(06-20-2014 08:06 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  I used to get to play Last Night On Earth all the time. Used to play a lot with my gaming group, but we've been playing a lot of other games lately. I also used to play all the time with my best friend, but now we are roommates. Sadly, for some reason living together makes it seem kind of common place, I guess. We hang out all the time, so getting together to hang out isn't quite as big a deal. So, during our free time, we tend to just watch TV or movies, or something lazy like that, and rarely wind up playing board games anymore.

Still, I try to get a chance to play LNOE every now and then, as well as A Touch of Evil.

Keep the flag flying good buddy. I'd much rather game than watch some TV. Maybe make Friday game night?

(06-21-2014 12:50 AM)Slurpee Shoes Wrote:  I game more than ever BECAUSE me and my wife moved far away from all our friends. Now we have nobody to hang out with but each other. So, while my gaming group now only consists of only the two of us, we're stuck with each other all the time. So we play games.

Now that's a partnership! They say opposites attract. Hell no! Give me a gamer girl every time! You'll be telling us next she brings you a beer and lets you buy the expansions. I'm sure there's lots of ENVY out there. That one's a keeperZombie17