Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to paint a Zombie (3 styles: Freshly Arisen, Rigor Mortis & Putrified Matter
01-06-2011, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 12:59 PM by samuraitrev.)
How to paint a Zombie (3 styles: Freshly Arisen, Rigor Mortis & Putrified Matter
Hi Guys Here's a new article for you. I had lots of fun painting these zombies and If you check them out they are a highschool set. The colours I have used correspond to the Woodinvale colours Johnny wears.
I use Games Workshops paints but other companies will stock equivalent colours. Shop around for the best prices! If you haven't got these exact colours it doesn't matter, improvise. Chances are you'll get better results than me anywayWatchmen02 If there's anything you don't get because I've not been clear enough just ask, I'm on here most days and I'm always happy to help. Post on the forum or PM me.

Right let's paint some filthy undead!
Stage 1:Preperation REMOVE those unsightly mould lines. Unless you know anyone with big lines running over their faces and arms, they are pretty ugly and unrealistic. Next support your models. Use a piece of plastic, or card, an old paint pot, (or a wine cork for a single model). Anything where you can SUPPORT your models without rubbing your hands all over them. If you hold your model as you're painting it (even the base) you are removing paint. Trust me. Last part of this stage is to UNDERCOAT (This includes drying time) It's your call if you use black or white. Both have thier pros and cons. I use both. Make sure you have an even coat. Two thin coats is better than one thick one. If you want to see photos of the mould/flashline, support or undercoated models see this previous guide of mine http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/show...p?tid=1387

Stage 2: Basic Colours In the photos the zombies from left to right are Putrified, Rigor Mortis and Freshly Risen.
Putrid
Flesh: Gretchin Green
Hair: Dheneb Stone
Skirt: Mordian Blue with Dheneb Stone trim
Top: Dheneb Stone with Mordian Blue trim and collar, Hairbands+Pompom: Mordian Blue
Socks: Mordian Blue and Dheneb Stone
Shoes: Left Black Undercoat

Rigor Mortis
Flesh: Fortress Grey
Hair: Calthan Brown
Trousers/Pants: Fenris Grey
T-Shirt: Dheneb Stone
Jacket: Mordian Blue with Tausept Ochre collar and sleeve ends and SK written first in Tausept Ochre then over the top in Dheneb Stone.
Beer bottle: Scorched Brown
Shoes: Left Black Undercoat
Exposed Bone: Dheneb Stone

Fresh Zombie
Flesh: Tallarn Flesh
Hair: Scorched Brown
Vest: Codex Grey with Tausept Ochre trims at collar and vest bottom
Trousers/Pants: Codex Grey and Dheneb Stone random patches still leaving patches of the Black Undercoat.
T-Shirt+Shoes+Necklace: Left Black Undercoat

Stage 3: Shade Here I use GW washes they are basically for lazy guys like me who can't be bothered to darken their basic colour and water it down. Add a small amount of wash or watered down paint (which is darker than your basic paint you used, to water down paint use 2 parts water one part paint. An easier way to do it is use a pipette two drops of water and one standard paintbrush of paint) The wash or watered down paint should run into all the crevices giving an almost instantaneous illusion of depth. DO NOT use two different washes next to each other. They will mix together and cause mayhem. Leave to dry should take about 5 mins under your lamp or in sunlight (always better for painting). If you use a wash there's no mixing it's already mixed in the pot!

Putrid
Flesh: Thraka Green
Hair: Devlan Mud
Skirt: Asurmen Blue with Devlan Mud on the trim
Top: Devlan Mud with Asurmen Blue on the trim and collar
Hairbands+Pompom: Asurmen Blue
Socks: Asurmen Blue and Dheneb Stone

Rigor Mortis
Flesh: Leviathan Purple
Trousers/Pants: Asurmen Blue
Exposed Bone: Devlan Mud
T-Shirt: Devlan Mud
Jacket: Asurmen Blue with Gryphonne Sepia on Collar and sleeves
Beer Bottle: Devlan Mud

Fresh zombie
Flesh: Ogryn Flesh
Vest: Badab Black
Trousers/Pants: Badab Black on the grey patches and Devlan Mud on the white patches.

Stage 4: Highlighting
The first technique is the Layering Technique. Use this method sparingly. Use either your basic colour mixed with a brighter colour (try a 50/50 mix and use a drop of water too from a pipette so the original colours are not lost completely).
Or use a different colour close(but slightly brighter) than the basic colour, this depends on how many paints you have. Paint your colour or mixed colour on the highpoints of the model for example the top ridge of the fingers the raised folds of materials. For faces The Brow, Ridge of the nose, Cheekbones, point of the chin, and top part above the top lip. REMEMBER don't cover large areas or you are just canceling the wash stage and going back to the basic stage! As you will see many of the mixed paints are used on several models. So use the same mix between the models and save time and paint!

Putrid
Flesh: 1st Gretchin Green and Rotting Flesh 50/50 with a drop of (always clean) water. 2nd Add more Rotting Flesh to the mix at each stage the highlighted area gets smaller. 3rd add skull white to the mix. When you are adding use the same amount you did when you were at the 50/50 stage.
Hair: Bubonic Brown followed by another wash of Devlan Mud once dry
Skirt+Hairbands+part of Socks+collar+sleeves+(Pompom drybrushed): 1st Mordian Blue and Ultramarines Blue 50/50 and water. 2nd add
Spacewolves Grey to the mix.
Top+part of Socks: Dheneb Stone and Skull White 50/50 and water. 2nd Skull White.
Shoes: Chaos Black and Adeptus Battlegrey 50/50 and water
Final Touches Eyeballs: 1st Choas Black. 2nd Skull White pinpoint. 3rd Golden Yellow. Mouth a drop of Black Ink or Choas Black and Water 70/30 paint to water.

Rigor Mortis
Flesh: Astronomican Gey and water 70/30
Hair: Calthan Brown and Snakebite Leather 50/50 and water
Trousers/Pants: 1st Fenris Grey and Shadow Grey 50/50 and water. 2nd Spacewolves Grey to the mix.
T-Shirt+Exposed Bone: 1st Dheneb Stone and Skull White 50/50. 2nd Skull White.
Jacket: 1st Mordian Blue and Ultramarines Blue 50/50 and water. 2nd add
Spacewolves Grey to the mix. On the collar and sleeves use Tausept Ochre and Bleached Bone 50/50
Beer bottle: 1st Scorched Brown and Dark Flesh 50/50 and water 2nd add vermin Brown to the mix
Shoes: Chaos Black and Adeptus Battlegrey 50/50 and water
Final Touches: I put my favorite beer label on the bottle with Skull White it's Black Sheep BitterWatchmen02. Next Eyeball: 1st Choas Black. 2nd Skull White pinpoint. 3rd Golden Yellow. Mouth and Eye socket a drop of Black Ink or Choas Black and Water 70/30 paint to water.

Fresh Zombie
Flesh: 1st Tallarn Flesh and Elf Flesh 50/50 and water. 2nd add Elf Flesh. 3rd add Elf Flesh
Hair: 1st Scorched Brown and Dark Flesh 50/50 and water 2nd add vermin Brown to the mix
Vest: Codex Grey and water 70/30
Trousers/Pants: grey patches had Codex Grey and water 70/30. White patches had 1st Dheneb Stone and Skull White 50/50. 2nd Skull White. Black patches had Chaos Black and Adeptus Battlegrey 50/50 and water.
T-Shirt and Shoes: Chaos Black and Adeptus Battlegrey 50/50 and water
Final Touches: Necklace Burnished Gold and mouth had a drop of Black Ink or Choas Black and Water 70/30 paint to water.

My BLOOD technique
Ok gorehounds the best bit
Basic: In and around the wound with blood optional blood flowing from the wound use Terracotta
Shading: Drop into the wound a generous bit of Devlan Mud
Highlighting: 1st Red Gore around the outer edge of the wound and on the blood flow. 2nd Blood Red again on the outer edge and blood flow but crucially in the wound such as an organ use this colour sparingly. Ok after your model has been based and varnished come back to this stage and re-paint the gore with a paintbrush using Gloss Varnish this will make the gore look wet and oozing out!

Final Stage Basing and Varnishing: See this seperate guide of mine for this stage. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/show...p?tid=1394

If you want to see all the Last Night on Earth heroes painted see my gallery page http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/thu...p?album=25

If you want to see my large collection of painted zombie see my gallery page at http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/thu...p?album=26

I hope you've enjoyed this in depth article. As ever please don't hesitate to write any comments/questionsWatchmen02

As an extra treat here's two more high school zombies I painted using the same colour scheme!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 07:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 07:03 PM by vikinglad.)
RE: How to paint a Zombie (3 styles: Freshly Arisen, Rigor Mortis & Putrified Matter
Beautiful as always! I eat these tutorials of yours up. I am trying to paint my minis after a 20 year hiatus, and these techniques are beyond what I used to do in middle school. I love your notes on the gore. My old lead minis are all sprayed and oozing, but the technique just wasn't there.

I have always used Testors enamel paints. The wash stage has been challenging for me as I never used to do this, and I am cutting the paint with thinner, which tends to want to take off the original coat. I did Billy first, which came out pretty good, but I screwed up the varnish; it is super thick. I am almost done with Becky and Father Joe, and will post them all in a gallery soon.

Where are these minis from? Did you wash the oils off before the undercoat, like you mention in your other turorial?
01-07-2011, 05:55 PM
RE: How to paint a Zombie (3 styles: Freshly Arisen, Rigor Mortis & Putrified Matter
Hi Vikinglad thank you for your commentsWatchmen02

These models are from a company called Cold War Miniatures here's the link to thier site. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.dic...r/dww.html
These models are made of metal. Metallic models (in my experience) don't require any washing. I just wash the plastic ones with a little soap and warm water.

Happy gaming and I would like to see your models!
I'm considering doing an article converting the heroes into zombies heroes stage by stage.
Also I could do an article on how to remove paint from metal models so they can be painted again. If you weren't happy with the first paint job. I know I've got plenty!Watchmen02
01-08-2011, 12:16 AM
(01-07-2011 05:55 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I'm considering doing an article converting the heroes into zombies heroes stage by stage.

Are those yours in the gallery? I was wondering how it was done, esp changing the poses, weapons, etc. That would be a great article.
01-08-2011, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 01:02 PM by samuraitrev.)
(01-08-2011 12:16 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  
(01-07-2011 05:55 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I'm considering doing an article converting the heroes into zombies heroes stage by stage.

Are those yours in the gallery? I was wondering how it was done, esp changing the poses, weapons, etc. That would be a great article.

I haven't done any converted heroes...yet so, no they're not mine in the gallery. Watch this space if I can get some I will do an article. I have some 'ideas' which will show how becoming a zombie hero is a fate worse than death. I'm thinking GRAPHIC tissue damage!
01-08-2011, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2011 03:00 AM by vikinglad.)
Nice, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The ones in the gallery are pretty cool. You should look if you haven't seen them yet. They are (mostly) made to look similar to the original pose, so you can tell who they are, but they are all gored up. Are you going to convert LNOE minis, or find some third-party figures to use?
01-08-2011, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 01:03 PM by samuraitrev.)
(01-08-2011 02:59 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  Nice, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The ones in the gallery are pretty cool. You should look if you haven't seen them yet. They are (mostly) made to look similar to the original pose, so you can tell who they are, but they are all gored up. Are you going to convert LNOE minis, or find some third-party figures to use?

I've seen them in the gallery I really like some of the poses. I will be converting the LNOE figures. I'm thinking they will be recognisable but only by their tattered clothing... I've done a few sketches of what I'm after. Have you seen Day of the Dead where the leader shouts 'choke on 'em' as he dies? That should give you an idea of the gore for one of my conversions...
01-08-2011, 09:06 PM
They're mine in the gallery and I had a great time chopping the minis and fitting them back together.

Next attempt, college work permitting, will be making my Zombie Martians!
01-09-2011, 06:16 AM
(01-08-2011 09:06 PM)zombie67 Wrote:  They're mine in the gallery and I had a great time chopping the minis and fitting them back together.

Next attempt, college work permitting, will be making my Zombie Martians!

They are great. My wife and I had a ball going through all of them. I think my fav is the cook with the chainsaw in his hip. I liked all of the missing limbs.
01-11-2011, 10:03 PM
Wow, those are amazing!