Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Human vs. Human variants?
04-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Human vs. Human variants?
I absolutely love the cooperative element of LNOE, it's probably the chief reason why I play it instead of that awful "Zombies!!!" game or City of the Dead. Nevertheless, I know a lot of people who absolutely relish a little PvP and aren't satisfied with a zombie gaming experience unless it gives a chance for "the worst in humanity" to come out. So to humor them and just as a fun mental exercise, I've started thinking about LNOE variants that might use some human vs. human mechanics.

My basic premise still relies heavily on cooperative elements: two teams of two survivors each (three would be better, but that might be too many players?) compete on a very large board (both big tiles from the core set and Timber Peak incorporated) to scramble for limited resources (fuel for their generators?) while yet another player or two takes control of the zombie horde and indiscriminately attacks everyone.

Some things to resolve:

- more zombie spawns to accommodate more players?
- the turn sequence for human players
- hand to hand combat between human players, ties etc.

What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 01:57 PM by spiritusXmachina.)
RE: Human vs. Human variants?
Sounds very interesting. As we are planning on making a "Walking Dead" campaign it would be necessary to include some Survivors vs Survivors scenarios too.

My first idea would be to let the Z-Player have its turn after each Survivor turn! For example: First the survivor player Sam begins and plays its turn then the zombie player Zack plays. After that survivor player Steve has its go then Zack again. Means the Zombie player can be double active (he has 8 heroes to go against him!).

Another idea would be to let Sam control the green zombies and Steve the brown.

Both ideas would need some playtesting of course.
04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
If you look around, there are a couple people's takes on PvP (and at least one PvPvZ) posted. More takes are always enjoyed, though.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
(04-16-2013 01:56 PM)spiritusXmachina Wrote:  As we are planning on making a "Walking Dead" campaign it would be necessary to include some Survivors vs Survivors scenarios too.

Great news - Bring it on!!
04-16-2013, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-16-2013 03:41 PM by Nachie.)
(04-16-2013 02:27 PM)mqstout Wrote:  If you look around, there are a couple people's takes on PvP (and at least one PvPvZ) posted. More takes are always enjoyed, though.

Great, I was hoping for this. Does anyone know the names of specific scenarios or links to them? Mostly interested in the PvPvZ Watchmen02
04-16-2013, 03:57 PM
(04-16-2013 01:56 PM)spiritusXmachina Wrote:  im!).
Another idea would be to let Sam control the green zombies and Steve the brown.

That is a GREAT idea for a 1v1 game. It doesn't really make sense thematically, but it is a good idea.

Alternatively, you could have the zombies be controlled by ZAI and add in some way to manipulate them. Maybe noise and fire/light. Some new items you could throw to attract them to the other camp.
04-16-2013, 04:24 PM
There are a few people working on scenarios like this on here. I'm in the middle of making one myself, just hit a wall with it getting things sorted out. I ended up getting the rest of the main expansions and now I have a flood of rules to wade threw before I can go back to getting the logistics sorted out.

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
(04-16-2013 04:24 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  There are a few people working on scenarios like this on here. I'm in the middle of making one myself, just hit a wall with it getting things sorted out.

I would be interested in collaborating with anyone who is working on this (and I have all the expansions), even just as a playtester. Seems counterproductive to have a bunch of people on the same forum develop essentially the same thing when we could probably all come to a good consensus on the most general of PvP mechanics and then just individually create more scenarios from there?
04-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Most will get to a point and post what they have and everyone kinda picks through it with suggestions. They'll test it and give results and such.. It comes together in the end somehow..

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
04-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Do you recall the names of any specific PvP scenarios that have been posted? Or is there a compiled list of them anywhere?