Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I almost bought it....
06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I almost bought it....
I have been playing LNoE for many months now and have never enjoyed a game (board game, video game, etc.) as much as this. I just recently started looking for something new. I have considered AToE (among others) and even got to the point where I was one click away from purchasing. However, I think I need a little more convincing. So.... convince me! There are only 3 players in my gaming group so I need something that works well with few players. I don't know much about other companies but thus far FFP has not disappointed. Anyway, here is my list of possibilities. Maybe someone can rank them? Your opinion counts!

This is what I have on my wish list.

A Touch Of Evil
Betrayal At House On The Hill
Mansions of Madness
Fortune And Glory

Or anything else you can recommend.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
RE: I almost bought it....
How many people do you play with? Do you like full cooperation? Competition? Mix? Do you have a lot of space, or a little? How often do you replay?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-06-2012, 09:04 PM
3-4 players but typically 3. Cooperative or competitive is fine. I'm not interested in something that takes a massive amount of time to set up. LNoE represents the largest amount of time I have ever spent setting up a game (maybe Axis & Allies). My group gets together no more than once every couple of weeks. I just don't want to buy another game that gets played once or twice and then forgotten. We are all ex MTG and AD&D players but we don't want something that requires the time or money investment of those again.
06-06-2012, 09:22 PM
* If you don't have Dominion (card game), get it.
* Betrayal (while a good game) might not meet your needs. It doesn't scale well with players, and it's more "light" than your types of players suggested might like.
* Mansions of Madness is a decent game, try it out before you buy it though. It has more limited replay (few scenarios) than the others, but they have a decent (cheap) expansion rate and some scenarios are replayable from choices (but not as replayable as LNOE scenarios).
* ATOE takes a bit longer than LNOE and is a bit more about resource management than LNOE. I find it works best as a competitive game (though there are cooperative rules).
* I don't yet have enough experience with FANG to comment.
* I really enjoy COPE -- it's usually pretty quick so you can get it and something else in.
* If you want more LNOE, get its expansions or IFOS. There's a lot of depth in the game if you only have the base set!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
3-4 is usually what I play with and we play AToE and they like more then LNoE.
06-09-2012, 12:20 AM
AToE works with 3 .

If your into Co -op then FFG Gears of War is a great game
probably the best AI around.The set up time isn't bad &
it scales from 1-4 players.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-09-2012, 02:44 AM
I ordered IFOS and ATOE (new miniatures to paint!!). I don't know much about Gears of War but my local shop has a copy. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the input.