Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I did it !!
05-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I did it !!
Finally I got to play my first game of IFOS!
Sadly...it was just me playing.

I just could not take it anymore and it really got on my nerves this week that I own this game since christmas and have never played it. So today I finally snapped and decided to play the basic game on my own. Watchmen02

And I had a blast!
I experienced some weird moments of talking to myself and thinking 'jeeez man, you are a nerd!" but that couldn't stop the fun.
I actualy enjoyed the little chat I had with myself. It's something else then otherwise always having to listen to the voices in my head Insane11

But like I said, I played the basic game with the basic rules just to get a small feel of the game.
It's actualy very close to the LNEO rules so it was easy to pick up.
I drew the heroes randomly and got the strongman, the bearded lady, the firebreather chick and the contorsionist girl.
I liked the raygun shooting.......and actualy cought myself on going 'AK AK AK pieuw pieuw pieuw" Watchmen02
The firebreather chick managed to roast a couple of martians with her extra power fire attack, wich was also cool.
And the strongman thought he was really tough but got his head kicked in by a full pack of martians. So he died and got replaced by JoJo the bear (who has excellent close combat skills if you ask me - more on this later)
But in the end the heroes lost because they got cornered by 6 full packs of martians and JoJo finally bit the dust when taking to much raygun blasts. But not after he (or she?) took on the Zarg beast and killed it! Zombie11

So here is my conclusion:
My first impression is that the martians are really powerfull. They are easily killed but get big advantage when they roam in full packs.
(those can be used excellent if you have some experience in military tactics)
But then again, I'm sure the game can turn around by the roll of one die just like LNEO always does overhere.

I truely enjoyed the whole theme of the game, I always have been a fan of the movie Mars Attacks and I hope that I get to play it with some friends really soon.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2011, 02:04 PM
RE: I did it !!
I'm on a roll here, just got a second game in with Mentara just before he had to go to work this afternoon.

Basic game but with advanced rules because he is also familiar with the LNEO rules.

It was fun alltough I did sense a little dissapointment in Mentara's attitude because he had a hard time getting his heroes to perform well.
Mainly because of bad luck with the dice on his behalf and some sweet rolling on my behalf.

His strong man got beaten up in the first round when he charged a full pack of martians Zombie17
As we talked about his action he was thinking LNEO and thought he had to fight them all seperatly. Big mistake.

But all in all a good game and afterwards Mentara said that he was glad he decided to play with the heroes because it didn't change that much.
For the martian-player it's a different ballgame. I personaly find it easier than playing with the zombies. (I always end up being the badguy in games)

05-05-2011, 08:32 PM
playing with yourself, eh, don't we all, Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2011, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 09:04 PM by Emp.)
...dancing with myself oh oh I'm dancing with myseeeeeelf oh oh oooh Watchmen02

Well looks like some of us had fun.
Played it yesterday with Mentara and Lisa and this morning again with the same people (being home from work on sickleave does have it's advantages so it seems)
And this afternoon Kevin showed up and we played the game again.

Mentara & Lisa yesterday did well with the advance ruled version of the basic game (kill 20 martians or 2 heroes), things looked realy good for them and bad for me being the martian supreme commander extrordinaire (ok...I just gave myself this title just now...)
But due to some cool (if I say so myself) and sneaky tactics of yours truly I managed to slay 2 heroes 4 round before the end and with only 3 martians left to kill on their scorecard. Damn that deathray is a mean s.o.b! Watchmen02
At the start of the game I really had trouble to get my little green men deployed. Poor roles to spawn new Martians made them easy cannonfodder for that chick with her dual pistols. But I never gave up and got the win in the end....and both of my friends chins dropped on the table like 'whatthebeepjusthappendhere!??"

This morning they were less fortunate as I spawned all my martians in 3 rounds time and they didn't kill not one of them.
It was the "kill a 4 crowds" scenario. When Zard also showed up....moral was getting low (to say the least) on the heroes side Zombie17
(I laughed...ok, I know I'm a mean person...boohoo...) But beggers can't be choosers and my moto is that a quitter never wins.
They didn't quit....but they didn't win....so this just basicly means that I'm not always right..... I think.

This afternoon with "layed back Kevin" the game was awesome. He had to blow 3 of my spaceships out of the sky. And he did it!
This was a really cool scenario. I obviously went full out on defending the canons, occupying them with full martians pack within the first 3 rounds.
But Kevin, the ol' dirty bastard had some tricks up his sleeve. Well he just had awesome cards really...wich he played fantasticly and I lost already 2 ships in the first 5 rounds.

Funny thing happend when he took a shot at the last saucer he had to take down. He rolls...and I was like "game over man....beeping game over - Hudson from Alliens) and I was just about to lay my cards down.
The die was rolled and turned up on a 1 !! wooooooohoooo !! So the struggle continued. I changed my tactics and went balls out for the full attack, but he eventualy still managed to escape and shot the last one down with 3 rounds to go.

Great game and Kevin, he's just a dude that come over here and play anytime. He just rocks Watchmen02