Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I finally got a chance to use Becky/Father Joseph team
09-02-2012, 07:45 AM
RE: I finally got a chance to use Becky/Father Joseph team
(08-30-2012 06:46 AM)ShastaHawk Wrote:  
(08-28-2012 12:58 PM)Phantaskippy Wrote:  We play with a picks/bans system, and if the scenario has everyone start together I ban Father Joe, otherwise I just wait till they pick one and ban the other.

Control issues much? Watchmen02 Although I'm new to the game, I don't see any reason to force a player to pick a character I wouldnt agree with. Now if this combo was picked frequently and it's overpowered, which I guess it is going by this thread, I would probably curtail it every once in a while

I have growing hunger and hero pack, and we decided to do it because no one played certain heroes and I wanted to sort of increase the people we played as.

We draw 4 random heroes to start, and they enter the hero pool, then the heroes and zombie player ban 2 each, and then from the remaining 8 the zombie adds 2 and the heroes add 2. That 8 is the hero pool, from which we draw four heroes.

It's designed to balance picking heroes with random selection, because neither option people were fond of. It also made someone play as Sally, Amanda, and Rachelle. Amazing how they were convinced some of the better heroes were terrible.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 08:09 PM
(09-02-2012 07:45 AM)Phantaskippy Wrote:  I have growing hunger and hero pack, and we decided to do it because no one played certain heroes and I wanted to sort of increase the people we played as.

We draw 4 random heroes to start, and they enter the hero pool, then the heroes and zombie player ban 2 each, and then from the remaining 8 the zombie adds 2 and the heroes add 2. That 8 is the hero pool, from which we draw four heroes.

It's designed to balance picking heroes with random selection, because neither option people were fond of. It also made someone play as Sally, Amanda, and Rachelle. Amazing how they were convinced some of the better heroes were terrible.

LOL! That sounds really overly complicated. Though, I must admit, that is also very clever and creative. If that works for your group, I say go for it. Seems it would be just as easy to pick at random entirely, but at least this gives both sides the chance to pick/ban certain heroes. And, since it starts with you randomly picking 4, it can avoid the problem of the hero players always banning the ones they don't want or intentionally picking the ones they do.

Like I always say, if that is what your group likes, then that is what you should do. To me, I just always prefer to pick at random. I love all the heroes and want to get a chance to play as each in time.
10-01-2012, 02:16 PM
That sounded very complicated at first but its actually very clever. We just have the 8 base heroes. Jake and the Sherrif are always picked and the fast guy (even with the roll 2 and chose 1 dice house rule) and jenny never get used (unless the zombie player kills 3 heroes). People in my group dont value Father Joseph yet (im usually the only one that pick him up). When GH and HP1 arrives, after everyone has the chance to play everyone we are probably adopting this system too. Nice work!
10-01-2012, 11:50 PM
(09-02-2012 07:45 AM)Phantaskippy Wrote:  I have growing hunger and hero pack, and we decided to do it because no one played certain heroes and I wanted to sort of increase the people we played as.

That's brilliant!! First time I read I thought "huh?"... upon re-read, I find it very simple, yet very imaginative.

Also... is there really any such thing a bad hero?? Whilst I'm the ZP about 60% of the time, as the HP, I find it more rewarding to shine with one of the perceived lesser-likes - you know, against all the odds and that kind of stuff.

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
(10-01-2012 11:50 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  That's brilliant!! First time I read I thought "huh?"... upon re-read, I find it very simple, yet very imaginative.

Also... is there really any such thing a bad hero?? Whilst I'm the ZP about 60% of the time, as the HP, I find it more rewarding to shine with one of the perceived lesser-likes - you know, against all the odds and that kind of stuff.

I agree, there are characters that always shine, but when you use a character no one likes really well it is awesome fun. Kenny is perceived as being the worst hero by my group, yet a really timely mess in aisle 7 has turned a match. Jenny is my favorite, she dies so quick in most games, but if she gets going it's ridiculous. Kind of like my players thinking the pitchfork and Baseball bat are bad, until they use them.
10-02-2012, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 05:38 AM by ForestRunner.)
(10-02-2012 05:07 PM)Phantaskippy Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 11:50 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  That's brilliant!! First time I read I thought "huh?"... upon re-read, I find it very simple, yet very imaginative.

I agree, there are characters that always shine, but when you use a character no one likes really well it is awesome fun. Kenny is perceived as being the worst hero by my group, yet a really timely mess in aisle 7 has turned a match. Jenny is my favorite, she dies so quick in most games, but if she gets going it's ridiculous. Kind of like my players thinking the pitchfork and Baseball bat are bad, until they use them.

Not to mention the replayability of this awesome game is multiplied exponentially when you make more heroes available for the upcoming bloodbath. Next game night - this Friday night Insane21... I'm going to give your character selection method a go.

It's great both groups I game with are generally receptive to new heroes/characters and trying to make the most of what they've got. I find modern day gaming (nearly all sorts of games) mindset is about the need for a uber-character/hero with a focus on advancement/leveling up rather than the fun and social aspect of gaming. Such a shame that.

Last game night I had Jenny in a game of Die Zombies Die (advanced and good selection of expansion rules). With her chainsaw and pump shotgun, she made 9 of the 15 required kills and drove the ZP to despair. Now... who's this Rambo fella??

10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
(10-02-2012 11:49 PM)ForestRunner Wrote:  Not to mention the replayability of this awesome game is multiplied exponentially when you make more heroes available for the upcoming bloodbath.

Exactly how I feel. ;-) I love all the characters, so I want to get a chance to use them all. I almost always just draw at random, because I really don't care who I get.
10-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Tried Phantaskippy's method - it's perfect. It' easy. Everyone else in the group believe it's ingenious.

On top of the variety of heroes from game to game, the initial hero pool of 8 consists of your 4 starting heroes and then the other 4 become the replenish pool.

Implemented full time in my game. Insane02