Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I really really want to like AToE
11-15-2012, 11:29 PM
RE: I really really want to like AToE
(11-14-2012 02:19 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  [am not playing by the rules, being that when I discard an item to gain it's ability, I typically remove it from game. Thinking if I were to destroy a book in real life in order to get it's secret power, I wouldn't have access to that book again.

Hmm. I don't looking at it as I'm "destroying" it merely "consulting" it or "borrowing" it as the case may be.

At any rate. I didn't catch on to that tactic right away. It was when I realized decks that are in a Stack as opposed to a Pile get discraded back to the stack to make them available again, UNLESS some effect come up that targets them as "Remove From Game" (Book Burning, anyone?) Currently that includes Town & Monostary Items, Hauntings & Tidewater Encounters.

Once I did, it was a HUGE game changer, as I was getting anihillated constantly by Remains In Play Mystery events I couldn't cancel. As it si now, they can hurt & possibly even cause you to lose if you're too far away or can't afford it. & even if you can, the lost time & Investigation having to sidetrack to deal with them still hurts.

(11-15-2012 04:28 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  
(11-14-2012 04:32 PM)LabRat Wrote:  That's why I make it a point to buy a Horse even if I don't need it - it only costs 2 Investigation and can easily be discarded for any effects that require you to discard items.

Never thought of that. Cheap cannon fodder. although it takes up 1 of your 3 items spaces, not bad at the beginning of the game.

Another good one (if you have The Allies) & have an Ally you hold dear ( can afford it) is to make sure to pick up one of the Militia Men from the Town Items. That way if you're called apon to lose allies you can sacrafice him since he's replacable. Zombie03
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 11:15 AM
I think I'm getting what wisdomknight is saying now. This weekend, I managed to play 4 games of ATOE, 3 of them with my nephew. The first was a competitive game where my Inspector Cooke tried to defeat the Spectral Horseman before my nephew's Thomas the Courier. The game was easy in the sense that it didn't hinder our progress that much and I think that's how it's supposed to be. I mean, it's competitive mode, the challenge is not supposed to be the game but each other right? If the Villain becomes too hard, we'll just end up working together instead of competing against each other, and there were times when that actually happened (especially when cooperating to move the Shadow track away from Darkness).

The second game that we played was Cooperative, with his Heinrich Cartwright working with my Karl against the Werewolf. We got our asses handed to us. And I think the key difference here is how the difficulty scales depending on the number of players. There were just two of us, TWO. Based on how we read the rules, the only things that scaled were the Villain's wound markers and how much it costs to investigate Town Elders. Look at the Cooperative Mystery Phase chart and ask yourselves, how hard is it for TWO players to divide 5 wounds (if someone rolls a 1) compared to FIVE players? If there were 5, just take one wound each and each pays 1-3 Investigation to heal up later, no worries. Me and my nephew? I take 3 wounds, and man it'll cost me 9 to fully heal. There was a time when he took 4 Wounds and I took just 1 because we were so badly beaten up.

In our game, every Mystery Phase was a potential for the Shadow track to move as many as 4 steps toward darkness, and we could be averaging as many as 1 step toward it. Just imagine how bad it would be if The Hour is Late was in play. And honestly, what makes the cooperative game really hard for us is the Cooperative Mystery Phase chart. We're planning on playing a cooperative game but with two characters each just to test this theory out, but I think if there are tweaks needed to the rules, it would have to be how the Cooperative Mystery chart penalizes the party based on the number of players/characters working together.

On a side note, we played another Competitive game after this, with my Katarina against her Anne Marie. Rather than having a truce at important times, my nephew decided to be a little more cutthroat and kept the Book of Lore to boost his Honor rather than to discard it to move the Shadow Track away from Darkness. It ended up getting burned a few turns later. We then blocked each other's attempts to start a Showdown thanks to "I Think Not!" and could only watch as the Shadow reached Darkness.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
(11-19-2012 11:15 AM)LabRat Wrote:  In our game, every Mystery Phase was a potential for the Shadow track to move as many as 4 steps toward darkness,

How so? I thought you only roll once per turn in the Co-op game, not after each hero?
11-19-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 05:06 PM by MoonSylver.)
(11-19-2012 04:19 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 11:15 AM)LabRat Wrote:  In our game, every Mystery Phase was a potential for the Shadow track to move as many as 4 steps toward darkness,

How so? I thought you only roll once per turn in the Co-op game, not after each hero?

That is correct. Pg 11:

Quote:A Touch of Evil is played in a series of Game Rounds until the Villain is defeated or the Shadow Track moves into Darkness (below the 1 on the track is considered Darkness). Each Game Round is broken into three steps:
1. The First Player’s Hero Turn
2. Remaining Hero Turns (moving clockwise around the table)
3. Mystery Phase

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-19-2012, 05:20 PM
(11-19-2012 04:19 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  

Right, I mentioned "potential". And it can happen this way:

1. Roll 1 on the Cooperative Mystery Phase chart - Shadow track moves 2 steps toward Darkness.
2. Draw a Mystery card that results in the Shadow track moving 2 steps toward Darkness (e.g. any card that results in the death of a Town Elder)

Total of 4 steps toward Darkness in one Mystery Phase. Watchmen02
11-19-2012, 06:26 PM
So....coop is much harder thanks the the coop mystery chart unless the competative players are very competative?

11-19-2012, 06:41 PM
(11-19-2012 06:26 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  So....coop is much harder thanks the the coop mystery chart unless the competative players are very competative?

In my experience, coop is much harder if you only have two players with one character each. It should get easier with more characters in play because the only thing that scales with the number of characters is (1) the number of life that a Villain has and (2) the cost of investigating a Town Elder and in my opinion, this doesnt affect the difficulty much.
11-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Right, I mentioned "potential". And it can happen this way:

1. Roll 1 on the Cooperative Mystery Phase chart - Shadow track moves 2 steps toward Darkness.
2. Draw a Mystery card that results in the Shadow track moving 2 steps toward Darkness (e.g. any card that results in the death of a Town Elder)

Total of 4 steps toward Darkness in one Mystery Phase. Watchmen02

Oh yes, I see, gotcha!