Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I really really want to like AToE
11-02-2012, 07:23 PM
RE: I really really want to like AToE
(11-02-2012 04:06 PM)wisdomknight Wrote:  Hey Jack, yes we played advanced rules our last couple of games and gaining investigation did make our progress gaining gear take longer.

I cant recall playing against crows yet.

Thanks for your help man!

Maybe you have lucky dice! I
n that case screw ATOE, go to vegas!

BTW, Crows are minions of the scarecrow.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2012 09:42 PM by MoonSylver.)
It's hard to say what the issue is, but my gut is telling me there's something being missed, as there shouldn't be any way to win so easily every single time. I've never seen it happen. Only things I can think of off the top:

Are you advancing the Shadow Track each time an elder dies?

Are you taking a Mystery phase at the end of EACH hero turn?

In a Showdown, are you fighting in a series of turns? (ie each Hero fights the Villain seperately, around the board, each turn).

Are you advancing the Shadow Track when you are to place Minions that you are out of?

Applying the penalty for KO's? (loss of Ivestigation, Items, Allies, etc)

Using the Co-Op Mystery Phase Chart?

Using the Co-Op side of the Shadow Track? (The one w/ the boosts to Villain Health & Combat as it progresses).

Adding "Dead" EVIL Elders to the Villain?

You already said you've started making Heroes roll for Investigation. That's a huge step in the right direction. Otherwise it is too easy to buff them up. They should have to work for that Investigation.

Honestly, I can't say I've ever heard anyone say the game is too easy. An average session for me is a tense race for the end, with the Shadow Track humming along & never enough time/opportunity to gather as much Investigation as I want, but maybe just enough to get the job done. Occasional blow outs BOTH ways, but nothing like you're describing... Insane19
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
(11-02-2012 09:41 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Are you taking a Mystery phase at the end of EACH hero turn?

Uh...I think I may be playing wrong. I have always played after everyone has had their turn then the mystery phase, as if the villain was another player.
11-05-2012, 05:03 PM
(11-05-2012 03:26 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  
(11-02-2012 09:41 PM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Are you taking a Mystery phase at the end of EACH hero turn?

Uh...I think I may be playing wrong. I have always played after everyone has had their turn then the mystery phase, as if the villain was another player.

me too.
Well that's obviously the reason.
Though thats alot of Mystery Deck re-shuffling.
You would think they would have given us way more Mystery cards if thats the case
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Me too. So you're supposed to play a Mystery Phase after every hero? Can't beleive I've got that wrong. If you add in the Co-op Mystery Phase Chart as well that's too powerful surely?
11-05-2012, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 07:21 PM by Leonard.)
(11-05-2012 07:13 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  

Me too. So you're supposed to play a Mystery Phase after every hero? Can't beleive I've got that wrong. If you add in the Co-op Mystery Phase Chart as well that's too powerful surely?

Just to clarify, I'm pretty sure the Mystery Phase is after the heroes collective turn. So once every player has finished their go. It describes what the villain has been up to while the heroes have been exploring the town. The Mystery Phase is completed by the player currently in possession of the first player token.

See page 11 of the rulebook here:
http://www.flyingfrog.net/atouchofevil/p...ok_Web.pdf

The Game Round:
1) The first players hero turn
2) Remaining hero turns, moving clockwise around the table
3) Mystery Phase
11-05-2012, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 07:34 PM by Achtung Panzer.)
And the quick refernce card reads:
1. First Player's Hero Turn
2. Hero Turns - All remaining heroes then take their Hero Turns in order, continuing to the left.
3. Mystery Phase - Once every player has taken their Hero Turn...

Phew - thought I was losing it for a while!
11-05-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Still not sure why you are finding your games so simple WisdomKnight. Next time you play, can you record a play-by-play. Maybe that will reveal something we are not thinking of.
11-05-2012, 10:08 PM
(11-05-2012 08:26 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  Thanks for the clarification.

Still not sure why you are finding your games so simple WisdomKnight. Next time you play, can you record a play-by-play. Maybe that will reveal something we are not thinking of.

I should make a vid and post on youtube.
If I get the chance...I just might.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Draw 2 Mystery cards. Or 3. Roll on the minion chart every Mystery Phase. Make your own Mystery chart of doom. If an event advances the track by one, advance it by two. There are many, many ways, and it's really simple to scale the game from Candyland to almost impossible. The expansions jack up the toughness. This game is very toolbox versatile.