Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"I've got to get to the..."
01-04-2009, 05:06 AM
"I've got to get to the..."
This came up in tonight's gaming (in which the zombies very soundly won both scenarios played):

The scenario was Zombie Apocalypse (where they destroy buildings), but this can happen in any scenario with "Taken Over". A hero had "I've got to get to the..." played on her, but then the building selected as its target (but before she got to it) was destroyed/taken over, such that it could never be entered. (As a reminder, "I've got to get to the..." doesn't let you search until you enter the building selected with it).

IG2G2 says on it, "...re-roll if this building cannot be entered". The building was already selected and has been in play for a while, but it is now no longer a valid target. Of course, the vile zombie player wanted to say that hero couldn't ever search, but he rerolled a new target. Myself and other players think the card just should have fallen off (objective lost).

What would you do in this situation?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2009, 05:25 AM
RE: "I've got to get to the..."
we play that if that happens, shit out of luck, should have got there sooner. plus all you have to do is play a card that lets you put a remains in pplay in the discard pile.

there are three or four combos that totally just screw people over in the game, just one of the perks of being a zombie.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Just had a chat with my partner Kath and we came to the conclusion that game-wise in this instance you should re-roll for a new building.....

...BUT...

...thematically it would seem a bit crap!

Imagine Ken Foree in Dawn running towards his house, "I must get there before I do anything else", the building collapses, and then instead of returning to his companions and start searching for useful equipment, he suddenly goes "Oh shit, my house collapsed...I know I'll now go to the Bowling Alley instead!".

So over to Jason, what do you feel should be done in this case??
01-04-2009, 08:16 AM
I go with Deadrabbit here. Shit out of luck and like he said, there are cards that discard the remains in play ones.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
01-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Emp Wrote:I go with Deadrabbit here. Shit out of luck and like he said, there are cards that discard the remains in play ones.

nice

01-06-2009, 04:05 AM
That is how we play it as well! Sorry..bout your damn luck!

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
01-06-2009, 04:14 AM
We haven't run into the scenario, but I would vote for the "out of luck" as well, for thematic reasons (z67 put it very well). I tend to default on the situations where it doesn't seem fair = zombies don't play fair.
01-06-2009, 04:57 AM
zombies can play really unfair on dies zombies die.

say a building is taken over. they could put there people in it and keep moveing them in and out when you get close or try and flank. its a gay move that works every time. if you do this with the school gym board youll win every time.

01-06-2009, 03:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2009 03:46 PM by mqstout.)
kosmium Wrote:We haven't run into the scenario, but I would vote for the "out of luck" as well, for thematic reasons (z67 put it very well). I tend to default on the situations where it doesn't seem fair = zombies don't play fair.

The point being, as a game, everything's already really far in the zombie's favor for nearly every scenario. Besides, this loophole has nothing to do with "zombies playing fair".

I interpret it as a "Let's get to building X, I remember there being (useful item/whatever) Y in it!" as always happens in the movies. If it's destroyed by the time the heroes get there (which happens in a lot of movies) they either give up on that X and find a new place to get it (=reroll) or give up on Y entirely and find some other plan (=discard). I feel both are viable, though I prefer the second.

Especially in this scenario, where the zombie player has good control over which building to destroy, this card can very easily become a "target hero can never search again" if you play it as SOL.
10-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I too would like to see an official ruling on this. I made a post about it over on BGG. Hopefully we can get a response.