Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"I've got to get to the..."
11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
RE: "I've got to get to the..."
I think it makes more sense thematically to roll a new building then never be able to search again. Maybe whatever the player is looking for is also in another building (like a radio or something, or searching for survivors). It makes no sense thematically that the player would never be able to search again. The official FAQ supports this as well, it states that if the building is made unavailable in any way, you roll a new building.

zombie67 Wrote:Just had a chat with my partner Kath and we came to the conclusion that game-wise in this instance you should re-roll for a new building.....

...BUT...

...thematically it would seem a bit crap!

Imagine Ken Foree in Dawn running towards his house, "I must get there before I do anything else", the building collapses, and then instead of returning to his companions and start searching for useful equipment, he suddenly goes "Oh shit, my house collapsed...I know I'll now go to the Bowling Alley instead!".

So over to Jason, what do you feel should be done in this case??
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Thematically, I'd go with, "if the building is Taken Over, discard the card." My argument is this:

Sally needs to get to the Gym. She knows she left her favorite set of shoes there (or whatever reason she wants to get to the Gym), and she's got to go back for them. She arrives to discover that the Gym has been taken over by zombies. It's impossible to get to.

She gives up on attempting to find her favorite shoes. The card is discarded.
Find all posts by this user
11-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Just on the rules :

I've got to get to the... is answered in FAQ_V3 Page 5 or in here by Jason :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1971768

So need to roll a new building.

That said you can house rule as you wish Zombie03
11-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Morgolon: But it makes no sense for the building to be rerolled if it's destroyed (etc...) *AFTER* it's already been selected and in play. Thus, this thread.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2009, 02:13 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2009 02:15 PM by Morgolon.)
mqstout Wrote:Morgolon: But it makes no sense for the building to be rerolled if it's destroyed (etc...) *AFTER* it's already been selected and in play. Thus, this thread.

I do agree, personnally if there was not this rule I would have cancelled the card if building was made unavailable Watchmen02

But in my group we try to follow official ruling to avoid long arguing instead of enjoying a game.

Nothing stops us using houserules.

As to make sense for the theme you can always find a reason for one way or another. If your building is made unavailable the hero might know another building to do/find whatever he(she) needs.

- I am sure the phones at police station are working. I want to call [whoever]
- Oh no the building is taken over by Zombies.
- Dam I'll go to the Power Plant, phones must be working there.

IMHO this card represents stubborness of the hero to do something and he(she)'s not going to be reasonnable about it. Zombie03