Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I've only gone and done it!
11-06-2014, 01:20 PM
I've only gone and done it!
After Tonka of saying I'd never do a Kickstarter, I've backed a Kickstarter. I've read the horror stories, seen how things take years to show up, and still I've dipped my toes into the murky waters. I'm treating it like a rite of passage, something that gamers do. Let's hope I'm still alive next May to actually see the darn thing.

Anybody got any good or bad KS stories?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2014, 02:04 PM
RE: I've only gone and done it!
I'm conflicted on KS, I really don't like the "Give me your
money & I'll send you something later" aspect but I
actually enjoy watching a KS I backed move through
it's Campaign & adding goodies.

I've only backed 4 KS & stay with established companies
with track records (District-Z was the exception but if you
can't trust the Admin. of TZG, who can you trust).

You can read some of the posts on the SoB Board about
the joys & agonies of even a successful KS.

Nevertheless you have indeed passed on to another
Level of your Gaming life- I salute you Watchmen02

By the way what KS did you back?

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks! I'm not sure why my phone decided that 'yonks' was 'Tonka', but there we are.

I've backed something called Monster Mansion, which I'm hoping is sort of like a real time Betrayal at House on the Hill. The worry is that it's actually going to be nothing like that, so please don't regard this as an endorsement in any way.
11-06-2014, 07:46 PM
I've done two kickstarters, one being SoB and both were unqualified successes. My second Kickstarter was "Tiny Epic Kingdoms" and it showed up about 2 weeks ago. Beautiful and better than the demo version I played at a friends house some time ago. One of my favorite things about Tiny Epic kingdoms was the very regular updates. I think it's a good sign that things are going well with the project
11-06-2014, 10:47 PM
I've backed 241 projects (it says right now). Some horror stories. Some great stories. And our forum admin, Sarku, ran one of his own.

Just remember: never believe the timeline listed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I've only backed two so far: Camp Grizzly & Hostage Negotiator.

Camp Grizzly is about 6 months late thus far, but is off to the printers now & I should have the finished game in the next month or two. First time game company working with foreign printers for the first time, so I don't hold the delay against them. It'll be just over a year from the end of the KS campaign to when I'm likely to receive the game.

This is a game that I'm thrilled to get, that I've wanted for a long time, that would otherwise not exist if it hadn't been for backers contributing to get it made. So no regrets from me on backing. Far from it.

Hostage Negotiator funded in August & went to the printers last month, so it looks like the turnaround is going to be quick on it! Watchmen02

But yeah, in general, seems like most people underestimate the amount of time or difficulty that's going to be involved in getting their projects manufactured if they've never done that sort of thing before, so usually the timetables are way off.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
11-07-2014, 08:16 PM
...and then I cancelled my pledge. I read up some more, it wasn't really what I was after.

The hunt for my first KS continues!
11-07-2014, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2014 11:46 PM by Old Dwarf.)
So you went & undid it. Better to cut out than get suck paying for something you don't
want & still have to wait for.

I trying to stay from KS, especially when they offer a lot of Add Ons that you have
pay for extra. I tend to want everything & feel I don't have a complete game without
those extras.

The only thing that may Tempt me is "The God Wars" from the same people that did
Cthulhu Wars . It's based on the old Rune Quest world & the Dragon Pass Board Game
(just a sucker for the Lunar Empire).

Speaking of Cthulhu Wars I just got an update the Game is on the Boat, so probably
by Christmas I'll have another ton of Miniatures to paint. At least when District-Z
ships in early December I can just put it on the table & play.

Anyway I wish you luck on your KS Quest.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-08-2014, 06:41 PM
If you can, watch videos from game reviewers that have a demo copy or get a print and play copy and try it out. I find I get the best results on figuring whether I'll enjoy a game from those two methods.
11-15-2014, 01:22 AM
Yeah, if there's no demo reviews, I'd stay away. The thing with kickstarter is that it allows anyone to enter the market, unimpeded, regardless of skill or merit. And it's hard to evaluate the merit of the game from behind a screen.