Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ideas for custom abilities for zombie clowns?
05-27-2014, 04:44 PM
I saw the thread on coming up with special abilities for the special color zombies you can get from the Flying Frog store (Purple, black, crystal red, crystal blue). That was I thought I had as well, so I think it is cool that there is a discussion on that.

Anyway, I do not own the board game "Zombies!!!" One of my gaming buddies does, and we have played it, but weren't terribly impressed. However, I did pick up the "Bag O' Clowns" because I wanted some zombie clowns for my Last Night On Earth set, and also wanted to paint some for my Zombicide set.

Anyway, that brings me to my question. I think we may have actually briefly discussed this in another thread a while back, but I don't think we ever came up with a definitive idea for what the ability/abilities would be.

Can anybody think of some good ideas for the special abilities a zombie clown could have? It should definitely be kind of clown themed. The only thing I could come up with that I thought would be clown-like is that maybe their ability changes every time you encounter one. Like, similar to how you roll for the Grave Dead, except instead of one roll for the whole game, you roll each time you come across them. This way, being as they are a clown, you never known quite what they are going to do.

The only problem being what would be those abilities? Thoughts anybody.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2014, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 05:05 PM by Fizzgaz.)
Off the top of my head
1: clown car "how many clowns are in there" immediately spawn another clown zombie
2:infected squirt flower roll a d6 on a 5/6 infect hero
3: big mallet roll an extra fight dice
4: slip up. No hero can leave the clowns space

Send out the dog to feed on the dead.
05-27-2014, 07:16 PM
RE: Ideas for custom abilities for zombie clowns?
How about:
5: Kinemortocoulrophobia (Fear of walking dead clowns): Zombie Clowns may force a Hero to re-roll any number of Fight Dice once per Fight
6: Floppy Shoes: Every time a Zombie Clown moves, roll a D6. On a roll of 1 or less, the Zombie Clown trips and does not move this round.
7: Easy Target: Zombie Clowns are easier to see due to their colorful wigs and clothing. Due to this, all ranged attacks against them are at +1 Range.
05-28-2014, 05:38 AM
I like this idea! Completely Random Ability with the same Zombie.
How would it work exactly? Only for Fights or also with Ranged Weapons?

To make it even more Random,
8: Trickster: Draw a Grave Weapon and place it on the Zombie Clown for this Fight. Discard the Grave Weapon after the Fight is resolved.
05-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Ooo! I'm liking these ideas! Heck, maybe we can use them all. Instead of rolling, you can use the number tiles. Each time you encounter a clown, put them all face down, mix them up, and pick one. (Unless maybe you happen to have a d10 handy.)

Some of the rules you've come up for things like range attacks could maybe just be standing rules, though, since otherwise it wouldn't quite work. I love the idea, for example, of their bright wigs and clothing being so easy to spot that you get extra range. I think that is a neat one. Obviously, though that wouldn't make sense to roll for that or use the tiles, so I think that would more so make sense as a standing rule for zombie clowns. I am liking what we came up with so far.

I also forgot that we did discuss this before and there were some good thoughts in that thread too. So, I'll have to re-vist that thread and pick and choose my favorites for when I finally do "send in the clowns." LOL!

Thanks, gang! :-)
05-30-2014, 09:24 PM
well you'll need to split them into "Persistant Abilities" and "Usable or Instant Abilities" and then you could draw 1 or 2 Persistants that will be in effect for the whole game, and then somehow work the Usable or Instants into either the Zombie Deck, or make a stand-alone ClownZombie Deck
05-30-2014, 10:13 PM
A D10 or above would definitely be needed depending on how many abilities it has.
05-31-2014, 12:41 PM
To simulate their camera that kind of sef destructs when they try to take a picture:

9. Hand weapons used against this clown break (discard) on a 1, 2 or 3 after each use. Ranged weapons jam (discard) on a 1, 2 or 3 after use.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
05-31-2014, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 02:13 PM by aprillo.)
(05-30-2014 10:13 PM)DrkBlueXG Wrote:  A D10 or above would definitely be needed depending on how many abilities it has.

If we come up with 11 abilities you could just roll two dice and total them so you'd only need one more ability than 10 (incase anyone isn't following, when rolling two dice together you can't get a 1 so there's only 11 possible outcomes). What's neat about that route is you can place less interesting/powerful abilities closer to the middle (7, 6, 8, 5, 9,) and put more devastating abilities on the lowest and highest numbers as statically they are far less likely to come out (There are a total of 6 combinations for getting a 7, where as to get a 2 or 12 there is only 1 combination each).

Just thought of a potential devastating themed ability.

Stilts: tall intimidating zombie clowns roll 2 extra fight dice.

They're coming for us!!! ... Brains brains ... Ahhh somebody save-- ... Om nom nom
06-01-2014, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2014 12:23 AM by ATOEtalGeek.)
11. Stuffed sock: After a Fight Round with the Zombie is resolved, the Hero is hit with the swinging sock on the d6 roll of 4+ (takes a wound, may be prevented).

12. Rubber Chicken: When the Zombie would be hit (Ranged or Fight) roll a d6. On a 1, 2 or 3 the rubber chicken is hit instead. The chicken may be hit multiple times in a Fight.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...