Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
In game stats and player rating
09-20-2012, 09:31 AM
In game stats and player rating
So I've been toying around for some time with the idea of recording some stats for the games of LNoE we play.

My first shot at it is this sheet (created in Excel - although perhaps not the best piece of software for the job):

The primary objective is just to have fun and to have a way of comparing different plays of the same scenario, and reflect upon the strengths of players, caracters and cards.

To keep things simple I've only made it to keep track of pure kills. It only includes implicit "fight/attack" cards used with a combat bonus/range (although other cards can be used to affect the outcome of fights etc.). Also, it doesn't store any information about how many times a card failed to aid in producing wounds nor the number of times wounds were inflicted but didn't cause death of the opponent. Neither can it be used to track zombie cards or dice used. But that's not the point either.

I've included "heroic acts" because in time I would like to use it as a way of rating players and characters. Since some characters are better than others to fight zombies, it wouldn't be fair to use kills scored as the sole tracker for a "rating system". Therefore I'm considering applying a method that includes zombie kills, heroic acts and a score for winning or losing for each scenario played (while the scenario score itself should be calculated based upon the average number of times the heroes have won that specific scenario). The same should apply to the ZP based on scenario wins, zombie heroes gained and (with a lower score) hero deaths.

As a side note, the sheet has been made for plays with only one ZP (since I don't play games with dual identities) and up to 6 hero players (since I do host games with more players than allowed, perhaps due to the fact that I insist on only having one ZP). The fields under each player name refers to the characters that player either controls or acquire during play due to "hero replenish".

I think I'll be adding an extra row to the heroes fields, allowing for each player to cycle through 4 heroes. Also I have made an error in the naming fields "players choice". I'll fix that in an upcomming update. Watchmen02

Any thoughts or ideas?

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2012, 01:39 PM
RE: In game stats and player rating
Only first and second character? I have this one player who likes to go through three. Let's just say "explosives".
09-20-2012, 05:56 PM
(09-20-2012 01:39 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Only first and second character? I have this one player who likes to go through three. Let's just say "explosives".

Thanks for the comments, mqstout.

I'll also make a 3rd and 4th character when I get it revised, just for the off chance this would happen.

Renaming specials to explosives sounds more apropriate. Watchmen02

09-20-2012, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 07:12 PM by mqstout.)
Do you tally down both if the player used the baseball bat (to roll extra dice) and a meat cleaver (to kill on a 6)?
09-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Hey this would be handy for me when I fill in my game reports!
Here's some points.

Guitar Hand Weapon (From Special Ed Soundtrack)
Jade's Skate board Hand Weapon (Unique Item)
Pushbroom Item (Not a Hand Weapon, this destinction is important against certain Zombie cards)
Torch Item-Fire (Not a Hand Weapon, this destinction is important against certain Zombie cards)
Spray Can Blowtorch (Survival Tactic)

Hope this helps!
Find all posts by this user
09-20-2012, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2012 08:13 PM by PJON.)
(09-20-2012 07:24 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Spray Can Blowtorch (Survival Tactic)

Hope this helps!

I hate the Spray Can.
Heroes think, its like a can of Aqua Net vs a Spider

Ohhh
Hi, I think the chart of kinda kewl, but I can tell it was made by a hero.
If a Zombie made it, it would have things like, hero death by bite, hero death by bite and ______ Zombie card, # of heroes crippled/impaired by card, # of hero turns and or cards lost.

stuff like that, ya' know important stuff

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
09-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Again thanks for the comments. I really need your help to complete this task.

(09-20-2012 07:12 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Do you tally down both if the player used the baseball bat (to roll extra dice) and a meat cleaver (to kill on a 6)?

I was thinking all cards used in the same turn which caused the kill should count. But then the trick of course will be to still make it count as only one kill total. Perhaps a designated row for combos is required to make this work during play.

(09-20-2012 07:24 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hey this would be handy for me when I fill in my game reports!
Here's some points.

Guitar Hand Weapon (From Special Ed Soundtrack)
Jade's Skate board Hand Weapon (Unique Item)
Pushbroom Item (Not a Hand Weapon, this destinction is important against certain Zombie cards)
Torch Item-Fire (Not a Hand Weapon, this destinction is important against certain Zombie cards)
Spray Can Blowtorch (Survival Tactic)

Hope this helps!

It does...

Well, Samuraitrev your game reports sort of set the standard for game statistics in here, so the minimum requirement for this to be a success would be to make it support each one of your reports. For example I haven't included board pieces yet but I was thinking of throwing in a scenario stat sheet as well to be referenced for setup details and to keep track of overall stats. But hey I just got carried away there - first I'll need to get the in game stats done with your help! Watchmen02

(All this would be alot easier if it was done in a web module of some kind with reference to a relational database but at least during play I think it's easier with just pen and paper)

I'll regroup/add the items you mention once I get the chance to revise it.

(09-20-2012 08:09 PM)PJON Wrote:  
(09-20-2012 07:24 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Spray Can Blowtorch (Survival Tactic)

Hope this helps!

I hate the Spray Can.
Heroes think, its like a can of Aqua Net vs a Spider

Ohhh
Hi, I think the chart of kinda kewl, but I can tell it was made by a hero.
If a Zombie made it, it would have things like, hero death by bite, hero death by bite and ______ Zombie card, # of heroes crippled/impaired by card, # of hero turns and or cards lost.

stuff like that, ya' know important stuff

Touché. You're absolutely right. It does favor the heroes. And I think you're on to something there, PJON. I need to do a bit of rethinking to balance the chart. Watchmen02

Again guys, thanks for all your help!

09-21-2012, 11:53 AM
I'd also like to see a place to write dice rolls so that you can compare average hero vs zombie average rolls when comparing scenarioes as well.
09-21-2012, 12:53 PM
(09-21-2012 11:53 AM)alderdust Wrote:  I'd also like to see a place to write dice rolls so that you can compare average hero vs zombie average rolls when comparing scenarioes as well.

I will try to include a comments box for everything the charts not capable of storing. Making a specific field for dice rolls could be a solution, although I'm not sure how you would keep track.

I guess we are only talking fight dice here and end roll result sums only (not including intermediate rolls). The chart only includes fights/attacks with death as the outcome, not wounds. For a die roll stat I sort of feel all fights should be included.

I often read peoples complaints about how the dice gods totally failed during play and as such it could be interesting with a dice tracker to check if such asumptions really hold true by say compairing average die results (depending on number of dice rolled) versus the general probability score or average.

09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Suggestion:
I really like this but i was wondering if you could make one were the individual weapons are not broken out.
I would like to see one where the weapon types are grouped allowing for 2-3 sessions to be recorded on one sheet.

Something like Heroes/HtH kills/Ranged Kills/Heroic-other Actions...

Another Suggestion, going off the top of your sheet for the scenario, could expand on that section?
I see something really usefull there that you created with regards to the mission DOT counters.
Might it be possible to create a unified PDF with 2 columns Hero Column with all of the Options that uses dots and a Zed column with all of the options that use dots?
Then include a reference location for them(rules source).

This would allow players to quickly add or remove options from a checklist to quickly balance out games, instead of constantly flipping througn each rules pamphlet or book to find the exact rule and its dot count.

I would use such a sheet every time as it would save 20 minutes on rules setup !