Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Index of horror/thriller movies (currently 573 reviewed)
04-09-2012, 06:09 PM
RE: Movie Reviews - 33 zombie movies
(04-09-2012 04:21 PM)PJON Wrote:  Hi Goodcop2000. Wow really kewl list. I will have to check out some of the ones i have missed. Im sorta sad you only gave 3 Brians to Return of the Living Dead. One of my most favzzies. The Graveyard "fantasy" scence is just plain awesome.

Another film i have not seen yet myself is, La Horde. Its a French zombie film released maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I read really great reviews about it.

Thankz, i hope to put your reviews to good use Insane20

Thanks, PJON. No offense regarding Return of the Living Dead - my ratings all reflect my personal preferences so I was expecting people to disagree. I do think that is a fun film - I just prefer the more mindless, grunting zombies that you shoot in the head to kill instead of Return's semi-intelligent, talking, chop them up and the parts are still alive zombies.
Having said that, there are some classic scenes - "Braiiins.....more braains!" You know I may have to bump Return up to 3.5! I will give that serious thought. Watchmen02

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 08:55 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Movie Reviews - 33 zombie movies
(04-09-2012 04:21 PM)PJON Wrote:  Hi Goodcop2000. Wow really kewl list. I will have to check out some of the ones i have missed. Im sorta sad you only gave 3 Brians to Return of the Living Dead. One of my most favzzies. The Graveyard "fantasy" scence is just plain awesome.

Another film i have not seen yet myself is, La Horde. Its a French zombie film released maybe 2 or 3 years ago. I read really great reviews about it.

Thankz, i hope to put your reviews to good use Insane20

I would put Return at 5 Brains! La Horde's a cool, mindless zombie action fest.
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 09:11 PM by victor.w.)
RE: Movie Reviews - 34 zombie movies
Shaun of the Dead is totally serious! It just so happens to be a romantic comedy at the same time. I give it 4.5/5. Also, you said Quarantine is no masterpiece, but I disagree entirely. It was an expertly paced, superbly acted, and absurdly horrifying film. 4/5!

And to anyone who hasn't seen the original Night of the Living Dead: What are you waiting for!? This is where it all started. The scenarios "Escape in the Truck" and "Defend the Manor" from LNOE are based on the movie. It's even the same blue truck! Also, in The Walking Dead, they have an old blue truck, same as LNOE and Night of the Living Dead.

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse please do the following:
1. Grab a buddy
2. Grab guns
3. Start shooting
04-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Sweet list. I am also writing in to advocate upping Return of the Living Dead to 5 brain status. I have probably seen it more than any of these other ones. The tarman is great, and Linnea Quigley in the graveyard? Yes please.
04-10-2012, 05:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 06:39 AM by goodcop2000.)
(04-10-2012 01:29 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  Sweet list. I am also writing in to advocate upping Return of the Living Dead to 5 brain status. I have probably seen it more than any of these other ones. The tarman is great, and Linnea Quigley in the graveyard? Yes please.

Never let it be said that I am not a man of the people! I see that I have underestimated the fervent love that exists for The Return of the Living Dead so I have adjusted my score to 4 slimy brains for this important film. I am not willing to move it to 5 brains because I feel that the original Night of the Living Dead stands alone in its importance to the genre.

I would like to see Return of the Living Dead 2 and 3 because from the ads I've seen they look a lot more like the original than the disappointing 4th installment.

Due to the change in Return's score, I did feel it appropriate to move two other films to 4 brains that I believe are on the same level - Dawn of the Dead (2004) and Shaun of the Dead.

I've also added new reviews for a fun little film called Dance of the Dead that I watched last night and for a terrible movie called House of the Dead that was so bad I had psychologically blocked it out of my mind until I saw it on a list today.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I appreciate your passion!

p.s. Victor.w, I have noted your objection about Quarantine. I want to see it again before I make any changes to its rating. Having seen it only once, I may not have a full appreciation for it. Actually one thing that annoyed me about Quarantine is not the movie's fault but the fault of the people who put together the trailer for the movie. I don't know if you remember but the trailer for the film ended with the actual final scene of the film! So of course as the end of the movie approached I knew how it was going to end which really ruined what would have been a nice surprise. So I will try to set aside that bitterness when I rewatch the film. Watchmen02

(04-10-2012 05:48 AM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  I've also added new reviews for a fun little film called Dance of the Dead that I watched last night and for a terrible movie called House of the Dead that was so bad I had psychologically blocked it out of my mind until I saw it on a list today.

I've added 3 more reviews for movies I hadn't thought of originally because they are not always categorized with zombie movies: Shivers about the quick spread of a sort of "sex zombie" condition through an apartment building, and two film versions of Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend" - The Omega Man from 1971 and I Am Legend from 2007.

Although the monsters in I Am Legend are sort of a vampire/zombie mix, the original story definitely portrayed them as zombie-like. In fact I've seen an interview with George Romero where he mentions the creatures from the first movie adaptation of that story - "The Last Man On Earth" with Vincent Price in 1964, as one of his influences when he made Night of the Living Dead.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM
RE: Movie Reviews - 39 zombie movies
Great job there Steve.
I can't say I agree with everything you wrote back there but that is what reviewing is all about. I personaly prefer to watch/play everything myself and form my own opinion on the matter. ( not like dumb people who just read game and movie reviews and then spew their opinions all over the net without any personal experience with the movie or game)
Totaly cool and I will not force you to adjust any of your scores, mine would be different and their is the rare flick here and there that I have not seen.

I can recommend La Horde, it's nice.
And Quarantine....pfff...take those hollywood a-holes to the back and shoot them in the head.
Why? Well...after the milking cow of wich is japanese horror has run dry they turned their attention to Europe. Especialy France and Spain were targeted because of the crazy talent that came from there. Quarantine was REC. (spain) and it was totaly cool and crazy and new and ...well awesome in it's way. Ans then they had to remake it in the US....for shame!
I almost cried....

As for others I can recommend:

Dead Heads (zombie roadmovie) it's ok with some good scenes in it.
Zombies
&
House (no...not that doctor..)

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-10-2012, 01:34 PM
I didn't like the supernatural aspects of "[.REC]" and was happy to see it downplayed, if not eliminated, in the American version. I also thought the acting, effects, and editing were better in "Quarantine". I also prefer the American version of "Let The Right One In". And I saw the original (foreign) versions first. It's the editing that makes it for me. American movies aren't afraid of hair trigger editing, which can take a horror movie to the next level. I don't think European cinema does it as well. Although I loved "Ils".

In the event of a Zombie Apocalypse please do the following:
1. Grab a buddy
2. Grab guns
3. Start shooting
04-10-2012, 02:14 PM
(04-10-2012 01:34 PM)victor.w Wrote:  I didn't like the supernatural aspects of "[.REC]" and was happy to see it downplayed, if not eliminated, in the American version. I also thought the acting, effects, and editing were better in "Quarantine". I also prefer the American version of "Let The Right One In". And I saw the original (foreign) versions first. It's the editing that makes it for me. American movies aren't afraid of hair trigger editing, which can take a horror movie to the next level. I don't think European cinema does it as well. Although I loved "Ils".

I have to dissagree (strongly I might add). What one views as "hair trigger" effects another person finds "MTV musicvideo editing" Watchmen02
What I find utterly amazing is that a multibiljon dollar industry does not have the strenght, sources or knowledge to come up with original concepts for horrormovies and have to "steal" ideas from what in their eyes seems to be lesser cinema.

And what is even more mindblwing is that there is great talent in the USA but they do not seem to get any suport from the big studios. I have been a long time subscriber to Fangoria and over the years there have been numerous articles ith directors with great ideas and vision. They just lack the funds of the big studios to achieve their goal and then their movie gets made but ends up as a second rated movie because ofoor special effects and actors.
Don't you find this weird?

This is the stuff that keeps me awake at night......Insane10

04-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Hi.

Hi GoodCoop2000. I never intended or even thought you might consider changing your opinion or Brain Rating. Just because everyone does not agree with Siskel & Ebert, only means they have their opinion too.

vikinglad Wrote:
and Linnea Quigley in the graveyard?

yeah, thats the stuff dreams are made of. I never knew her name, i just remeber the scene.

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
(04-10-2012 05:11 PM)PJON Wrote:  i just remeber the scene.

Who doesn't Watchmen02Watchmen02