Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Index of horror/thriller movies (currently 573 reviewed)
05-03-2017, 03:50 PM
RE: Index of horror/thriller movies (currently 554 reviewed)
My Bloody Valentine, the 2000s remake in 3d, was the best "in 3d" movie I saw. (The bar is *not* very high. I generally hate 3d films.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 04:40 PM
(05-03-2017 04:27 AM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  I've added movie reviews for the following:

Macabre (1980)
Madman (1981)
Mama Dracula (1980)
Martyrs (2008)
Masters of Horror: Chocolate (2005)
Masters of Horror: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (2005)
Mausoleum (1983)
Memento (2000)
The Monster Squad (1987)
Motel Hell (1980)
The Mummy's Shroud (1967)
The Mutilator (1984)

I also adjusted my rating for the original (1981) My Bloody Valentine from 3.5 to 4 after seeing the 2009 Special Edition which restores some of the censored gore.

See my reviews for all these movies - Link

gc2K

Hi Goodcop, I loved the film Momento. I'm not sure I followed it completely but after reading your review I'll have to watch it again.

This is turning into a huge library. You should write a book! You are the dark reviewing Connoisseur of horror films. I'll tell you the film that creeped me out the most was the first Descent. It also reminded me of a short but excellent early tale by the weird horror master H.P. Lovecraft. The story was called The Beast in the Cave (1905). It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the inspiration for the film.
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2017, 09:33 PM
(05-05-2017 04:40 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hi Goodcop, I loved the film Momento. I'm not sure I followed it completely but after reading your review I'll have to watch it again.

This is turning into a huge library. You should write a book! You are the dark reviewing Connoisseur of horror films. I'll tell you the film that creeped me out the most was the first Descent. It also reminded me of a short but excellent early tale by the weird horror master H.P. Lovecraft. The story was called The Beast in the Cave (1905). It wouldn't surprise me at all if this was the inspiration for the film.

Hi, Samurai. Yeah, Memento is really impressive work because how do you keep a film exciting and still have a mystery when you're seeing all the scenes in reverse order? It's great writing.

The Descent is really good! It's one of the first non-kid horrors I showed my daughter who is now 14. She has seen probably 50 horror movies but that is still one that scares her the most. I'll have to look for that Lovecraft story. I actually read the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft at one point but I don't remember that specific story.

gc2K

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
05-07-2017, 11:46 PM
(05-03-2017 03:50 PM)mqstout Wrote:  My Bloody Valentine, the 2000s remake in 3d, was the best "in 3d" movie I saw. (The bar is *not* very high. I generally hate 3d films.)

3D was a popular gimmick for a while but I can't think of any particular movie in 3D that was really good. Friday the 13th Part III is pretty fun because Jason acquires his mask and there are some good kills but it's not great. I've only watched the My Bloody Valentine remake once so I'll have to check it out again. I often like movies more the second time I watch them.

One great example of that is Return of the Living Dead. It was one of the original movies on this list but I had only seen it once at the time and gave it 3 stars. I was used to the Romero movies and didn't expect all the humor in Return. The more I've watched it, the more I like it! At some point I increased the score to 4 stars. I watched it recently and was laughing out loud at some of the hilarious lines - the actors have great comedic timing in the movie. I made a note to change my score to 4.5 stars which now puts it up among the best horrors for me!

gc2K

05-08-2017, 03:09 AM
RE: Index of horror/thriller movies (currently 573 reviewed)
Some more ratings/reviews for your reading pleasure:

Needful Things (1993)
The New York Ripper (1982)
Night of the Demons (1988)
Night of the Demons 2 (1994)
The Night Evelyn Came Out of Her Grave (1971)
Night of the Seagulls (1975)
Nightbreed (1990)
Nightmare Castle (1965)
Nightmare City (1980)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: Autopsy Room 4 (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: Battleground (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: Crouch End (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: The End of the Whole Mess (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: The Fifth Quarter (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: The Road Virus Heads North (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: Umney's Last Case (2006)
Nightmares and Dreamscapes: You Know They Got a Hell of a Band (2006)
No Way to Treat a Lady (1968)
Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

See the reviews here - Link

gc2K