Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Instructions language use.
01-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Instructions language use.
OK, maybe I'm just a weirdo...but was anyone else thrown off by the fact that LNoE refers to the singular of "dice" as "dice" rather than "die". You will find cards or instructions telling you to roll "an extra fight dice" or something similar. I always try to change it to "die" when reading aloud for other players, (since I prefer not to sound like an idiot,) but somehow that causes me to get all confused and I end up using "dice" when I mean "die" and "die" when I mean "dice" about half of the time.

I don't think it would really bother me if it was just a mistake on one card. But EVERY single time the instructions or any of the cards refer to a die, they call it a "dice." Did they not have an editor look over the text, or were they afraid that, since it's a zombie themed game, players would somehow think they were referring to a character "dying."?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-2011, 02:08 PM
RE: Instructions language use.
The second thing.

One of the scenarios is "Die Zombies Die".
Makes sense that it was an editing choice to reduce confusion with all those Heroes and Zombies dieing all over the place.
01-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Notice it's capitalized. It's an in-game terminology they standardized on. Yes, it bothers me too. They are consistent with it, however. The phrase is "Fight Dice". There's usually more than one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Dice Zombie Dice... I think it's gold Jerry! Gold!

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
01-21-2011, 03:17 AM
Kenny Banya?!

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
01-21-2011, 03:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2011 03:27 AM by Russ.)
(01-17-2011 03:14 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Notice it's capitalized. It's an in-game terminology they standardized on. Yes, it bothers me too. They are consistent with it, however. The phrase is "Fight Dice". There's usually more than one.

Thanks all, for weighing in on the subject, (and for not calling me out on being a grammar Nazi!) Thanks, mgstout. Somehow thinking of it as a game term specific to LNoE makes it less annoying. Slightly. Now I can start correcting people who refer to a "fight die," explaining that in LNoE terminology, they are referred to as "Fight Dice" even when there is only one. Then, instead of being a grammar Nazi, I'll simply be a huge geek, and if we're playing LNoE, then I'll probably be in good company. :p
(01-17-2011 02:08 PM)Nebulon Wrote:  The second thing.

One of the scenarios is "Die Zombies Die".
Makes sense that it was an editing choice to reduce confusion with all those Heroes and Zombies dieing all over the place.

Honestly though...I'm trying to imagine someone reading the phrase "roll an extra fight die," and somehow misinterpreting the word "die." The only way I can possibly make sense of that, is if they read it as though there were a comma after the word "fight." So the instructions are telling them to "roll an extra fight," (whatever that means,) and in the same breath telling them to die. I don't want to meet the person that thinks their board game instructions are making death threats to them. LOL!
01-21-2011, 04:51 PM
(01-21-2011 03:17 AM)D153453D Wrote:  Kenny Banya?!

Zombie17

I love that show.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga