Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is AToE a high replayability game?
08-11-2012, 12:10 AM
Is AToE a high replayability game?
Is it similar to LNoE?
I am curious about it and wanted know if it is as customizable as LNoE as well.

Im disappointed that it isnt a tile based board game so Im wondering how the replayablility and variety is in comparison.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 01:52 AM by Tragic.)
RE: Is AToE a high replayability game?
Well from what I can tell (I am a new player) there is a lot of replay value as there is a ton of different "villian" you can use. I think there is 8 you can use fomr day one including the free versions form the FFP website when you buy CORE, and there is at least 4 really cool looking ones at BGG. I haven't really looked though the custom stuff here.

The problem with this game is the small game board and the way locations function. In Arkham Horror there is a lot of locations, each with there own flavour and risks as well as other world type locations. This means that there is a lot of variety though randomness. So while in aToE you do get variate in the form of different monster spawns and the villain, the actual game play of collecting resources seams like it would be pretty much the same no matter witch villain. I have the 2 expansions on order so once there is more locations this might not be as much of an issue as it seams.

As for custom variants, I think this game has some GREAT potential for modding.. in fact I have 2 in mind that are competing for my 1st variant. One is based on "Village of the Dammed" and have mind control maniacs kind of like the werewolf curse, and the other will be based on "Needful Things" and be all about corruption maniacs based on items. I'll not go into it here, but I think , just like any thematic game, if the imagination of the auther is up for it you can make some very very interesting and fun mods.

Roll High!!
Youtube: TragicTheBlathering
Find all posts by this user
08-11-2012, 02:00 AM
WOW, thanks for the very indepth info Tragic!
08-11-2012, 03:45 PM
One thing that an answer to this must keep in mind is the differences in game-play (as different from 'game mechnics'). LNOE basically is a tactical game based upon one 'scene' of a zombie film...usually the most intense goal to be accomplished. ATOE tells a story of the hunt for a identified monster within a secret filled New England town of the 1790s. There in lies the differnces between the two games.

LNOE is replayable because it examines a host of different scenes with a variety of mixed heroes. However, the story is about as varied as a single scene can be...different outcomes based on how the different heroes win or lose in the attempts to gain victory on thier precise single goal.

ATOE is replayable because there are a few different monsters that provide different play events (like the different scenarios provided in LNOE), have different heroes (like LNOE) to provide different skill sets, but it is singular in that the secrets uncovered and the cards that occur dictate a more complete story over the length of the game. However, it is a longer game and less tightly focussed.

In essence: ATOE is about the whole town being explored and changed as the heroes battle, while LNOE is about the single situation changing fast and furiously as the heroes battle. Flying Frog delivers a story with both. Without a doubt, the story is different each time.

(See my ATOE Hunting The Night for a more tactical story and the Shadowbrook Gazeteer for more background on ATOE's town and people: Both in the 'Downloads' section! http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/mydo..._cat&cid=3 )

08-11-2012, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 05:48 PM by wisdomknight.)
Thank you so much for your analysis and link Pfr_Fate
Much appreciated!
Thank you so much for your analysis and link Pfr_Fate
Much appreciated!
08-13-2012, 08:46 AM
I feel like ATOE has more replayability than LNOE, based on the fact that that is what our game group tends to play more often. The way the story plays out, you may start out thinking you need one thing, only to find out you need another, or it is goneInsane21. There are more rules and decks and reasons to roll dice, and the competative and co-op options lend two different styles to all of the available villians. There are so many components to it, like leveling up skills, saving currency to buy stuff, and the Town Elders/Secrets aspect that make the game very interesting every time you play it.

Hi Professor. Nice to hear from you again. ATOE has been coming up more often in the boards lately. It has been cool, no? Zombie13
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Im getting more and more interested in trying AToE

Thanks Vikinglad
08-13-2012, 10:33 PM
I am a LONE fan, Picked up AToE on a whim since i liked LONE. AToE is now my Horror game of Choice above Arkham, and on par with LONE.
08-14-2012, 12:32 AM
I think my fav horror game is Mansions of Maddness.

Roll High!!
Youtube: TragicTheBlathering
08-14-2012, 12:36 AM
High replay value indeed. Though the board is fixed the variability comes from which Hero(es) + which Villain you use + what cards come out on the Location & Mystery decks, etc. I was highly impressed how the various random elements meld together & a cohesive narrative emerges from them.

Like the above poster, I picked up ATOE because I was such a fan of LNOE. But I'd dare say ATOE is my favorite now perhaps.
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"