Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is spawning zombies mandatory?
01-22-2011, 03:57 PM
RE: Is spawning zombies mandatory?
I think the reason it says MAY is because with the expansions you can do different things when spawning zombies, like spawn grave dead or add zombie weapons
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2011, 11:59 PM
But we have 'may' and 'up to'. Even if we disqualify 'may', there still is 'up to'. spawning 0 zombies is still up to 1,2,3.... (depending on the roll)
01-23-2011, 01:12 AM
Is it against the rules? Not as far as I know. But is it a cheap move that kills the game and ruins the fun for everyone for the sake of a technical win? Yes.

I know I wouldn't be interested in playing with someone who insisted on playing that way in the future.
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
I wonder if sb. actually ever did this, because it is so 'not-in-the-game-theme'. I mean it only seems desirable in DZD scenario with the exception of some specific card usage like Criesto has mentioned. I personally had this when the humans where kicking my but and I even looked to the rulebook to see if I can choose not to spawn more targets for them. When I checked this and saw the words 'may and 'up to' I just though to my self 'heh that would be funny if I told the other guys 'gues what - I chose not to spawn any more zombies' :P' but did not even considered doing it. I though this is so abstract I forgot about ti completely until I saw a question about this on BGG forum. I guess that DZD scenario is mainly played at the beginning to get familiar with the rules and nobody actually cares about winning so badly. I personally don't care about the result at all - I love seeing how the games is multiple times similar to movies :>
01-24-2011, 07:13 PM
I can't believe someone would take that angle in DZD or any othe game for that matter.
01-24-2011, 08:09 PM
With grave weapons you are replacing two spawns to do an effect. You're still spawning them, just... for a cost of something else.

I'd house rule and say you must always 'spawn' if able. But those spawns could be paid for costs, ie: grave weapons. Even if a card is more situational if you don't spawn like some suggested. Look at how many cards zombies gain access to. One beneficial scenario isn't worth adjusting for. Keep the card, send in some to die, and there you go.
01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
If a player chooses NOT to place zombies then I'd say they are no longer worthy of playing this game!
02-06-2011, 09:00 PM
So the ZP just stops spawning zombies? And when all the zombies on the board are killed...what, the heroes just wander around aimlessly? For 15 rounds? Yeah. Awesome.