Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: $50 for AToE and Something Wicked
This poll is closed.
Great Deal! 100.00% 8 100.00%
You got hosed. 0% 0 0%
Other (explain in post) 0% 0 0%
Total 8 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just Bought!
11-20-2017, 03:13 PM
Just Bought!
So this weekend at a gaming convention (JimCon in Winnipeg) I picked up ATOE and Something Wicked for $50 as a bundle.

As a die-hard LNoE fan, is there anything I need to know before I dive in to this?
Differences, similarities, quirks?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2017, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2017 03:54 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Just Bought!
ATOE is a great game. It plays very differently than LNOE though. I like its core mechanics. Plan for much longer play sessions though; it goes into the multiple hours range easily.

Some members here are big ATOE fans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Here's a few I can think of off the top of my head:
A main difference I can think of is that while there is a carry limit of one Item or Ally card per location plus three Town Items or Allies, there is not a limit to the number of items you can use in your turn or during a Fight. It's as though everything you have with you is equipped. And there is no concept of double-handed vs one-handed.

Another that comes to mind is the Villains have their own (sometimes) detailed abilities. To get the full thematic flavor and for best game play make sure you pay attention to those details so they are not missed. Early on we would finish a game and then go "Oh man, the Villain has an ability that is supposed to trigger every time X happened and we completely missed it. Crap!"

Keep an eye on and pay attention to Remains-in-Play Mystery cards and when they trigger. In pimping my game I actually made Shadow Track marker tokens that lay on the Shadow Track Stage delineations to help us remember stuff like that.

Unlike LNOE there is no "mission" from the get go (with the exception of a couple Villains I think in the Coast expansion). When you start any particular game you won't have a sense of "We have to get to building X to collect Y" or anything like that. You're goal is to develop your Hero's attributes but it's going to be fairly random for you especially until you learn where the good stuff is in the particular location decks. You will also need to go to spaces that grant Event cards as their powers will be essential.

The Town Elders is another element that will take some getting used to. These act a little differently whether you're playing competitively or in co-op. They can become essential against certain Villains though, especially ones like Sophie and her ability to cancel Mystery cards.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
11-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Welcome to AToE . It's my favorite Frog Game-Good pick getting SW it adds a lot.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
11-27-2017, 11:17 PM
The combat round consists of a few minutes, I suppose, allowing for a switch of weapons and tactics.

A good thing to know is to try to understand the map and the people that live there. Obviously it's not random about the equipment you may find around the area. For example, the Hanbrooks have dark secrets, yet are pillars in a time when military service and spirituality are honored. Pistols? Bible? Secret Passages? Servents that know things?

Know the area! Know the possible weaknesses of your enemy!

Might I suggest my file in the downloads section. Shadowbrook Gazetteer. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/mydo...own&did=97

11-28-2017, 07:52 PM
Like you I'm a massive fan of LNOE and I enjoy ATOE just as much. Great theme and it's fun trying to match the right characters to the villians. I even think the minis are better quality than those for LNOE.