Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Just say Maybe to House Rules
10-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Just say Maybe to House Rules
Hi, so I was reading agian. I know its wrong but I cant help it.

I have read post on How to Play "This could Be Our Last Night on Earth" card.

So, at my Home, or any where I take my game. My "House" Rule is. I can play "This could Be Our Last Night on Earth" on;
Any Male and Female, except Father Joseph
Any 2 Female
Any 2 Males, except Father Joseph
On Father Joseph with any Student

Now, some people agree with the top three I listed, some do not.

What I found even more interesting is, on the TZG.com website, under Downloads. It list how a Artificial Intellegent Zombie Player would play "This could Be Our Last Night on Earth". It states;

“This Could Be Our Last Night On Earth”
Play immediately on:
- A male and female hero in the same space. (Your choice.)
- Two females in the same space. (It is an R rated horror movie.)
- Two males in the same space. (Except father/son pairings.)
Discard if there are no Heroes in pairs.

This is all based off of Dan Panamaroff's excellent Z.A.I. rules, as posted to BoardGameGeek.com's message fourm.

I am in no way saying this is the Rule. I just find it interesting that I am not the only one who thinks like this. Maybe the game designers could not allow for such concects. Due to keeping politically correct.

- Two males in the same space. (Except father/son pairings.)
Now thats interesting to me. What was that person thinking ? The only father/son combo is Sheriff Anderson and his son Billy. Maybe there is more to the "(Except father/son pairings.)" then the writer is telling us. ALSO there is no mention of not being able to play on Father Joseph.

berry interesting, just saying

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
RE: Just say Maybe to House Rules
I approve of this post. Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-26-2011, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2011 08:22 PM by vikinglad.)
I can see why you like this, thematically, but I think that the card should be played as written to retain the intended balance. There are other cards like "catfight" that work for two females, etc. Can't two males also fight? Limiting the cards' usefulness seems important to the play mechanics to me. Maybe that is just because the zeds always seem to have the upper hand in our house, and I am reluctant to make them more powerful.

Also, making the father/student pairing work assumes that Father Joseph is on the same level as other priests that give in to this urge. I feel like his "Strength of Spirit" special ability goes against this assumption. It sounds like he has a special closeness to God that gives his prayers a special power. I do not think he is one of the molesty-type fathers; he is beyond that. Watchmen02
10-28-2011, 01:32 AM
I've thought about this too. It's such a clever card, one that adds a lot to the game because it's so theme-relevant...but it never actually gets to be played, because it's so contingent upon a fairly rare occurrence. I think it's okay, if your group agrees, to play it on any two survivors in the same building. While attacks while two teens are getting intimate are a horror movie trope, so are other "gotcha" moments.

It could be Sheriff Anderson and Billy having a heart-to-heart, Amanda apologizing to Jade for teasing her "I guess we aren't so different after all, not that it matters...now"; Father Joseph and Mr. Goddard arguing about faith vs. science, Sally telling Becky about how much she misses her mother....the list goes on, any moment where the action stops and the characters get emotional, then *BOOM* zombie attack.

It still plays into the cheesy horror movie tropes, without being so dependent on a specific event, and it keeps the card from being discarded every time its drawn.
10-28-2011, 03:22 AM
(10-28-2011 01:32 AM)robottroubles Wrote:  I've thought about this too. It's such a clever card, one that adds a lot to the game because it's so theme-relevant...but it never actually gets to be played, because it's so contingent upon a fairly rare occurrence. I think it's okay, if your group agrees, to play it on any two survivors in the same building. While attacks while two teens are getting intimate are a horror movie trope, so are other "gotcha" moments.

It could be Sheriff Anderson and Billy having a heart-to-heart, Amanda apologizing to Jade for teasing her "I guess we aren't so different after all, not that it matters...now"; Father Joseph and Mr. Goddard arguing about faith vs. science, Sally telling Becky about how much she misses her mother....the list goes on, any moment where the action stops and the characters get emotional, then *BOOM* zombie attack.

It still plays into the cheesy horror movie tropes, without being so dependent on a specific event, and it keeps the card from being discarded every time its drawn.
Interesting. I think this is the most intriguing interpretation of this card I have heard yet. Mad reps for you.
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
(10-28-2011 03:22 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  
(10-28-2011 01:32 AM)robottroubles Wrote:  I've thought about this too. It's such a clever card, one that adds a lot to the game because it's so theme-relevant...but it never actually gets to be played, because it's so contingent upon a fairly rare occurrence. I think it's okay, if your group agrees, to play it on any two survivors in the same building. While attacks while two teens are getting intimate are a horror movie trope, so are other "gotcha" moments.

Interesting. I think this is the most intriguing interpretation of this card I have heard yet. Mad reps for you.

CHURCH to the 10th Power Watchmen02 Very kewl interpretation. Maybe i shouldnt live in the gutter so much

10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi.....No....this is not good at all.

I mean i think its awesome. Father Joseph and Mr. Goddard arguing about faith vs. science, its that line i have a problem with.

I have tried to respect not playing the LNOE card on Father Joseph 'cause the rules say so...i did twist the interpetation some. The other night I was playing and Victor and the Father were in the same space. I could not play LNOE because the Father was not with a student. BUT your interpetation......would fit just fine. Victor turning to the Father "Father Joe, i aint never been a saint or nothing like that...but seeing those things.....dead people trying to eat us.....maybe..." and then the Father breaks out an Aretha Franklin voice

I say a little prayer for you
Forever, and ever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, and ever, we never will part
Oh, how I love you
Together, forever, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only meen heartbreak for me.

Nobody is safe from the LNOE card now

10-31-2011, 11:19 PM
(10-31-2011 02:29 PM)PJON Wrote:  Hi.....No....this is not good at all.

I mean i think its awesome. Father Joseph and Mr. Goddard arguing about faith vs. science, its that line i have a problem with.

I have tried to respect not playing the LNOE card on Father Joseph 'cause the rules say so...i did twist the interpetation some. The other night I was playing and Victor and the Father were in the same space. I could not play LNOE because the Father was not with a student. BUT your interpetation......would fit just fine. Victor turning to the Father "Father Joe, i aint never been a saint or nothing like that...but seeing those things.....dead people trying to eat us.....maybe..." and then the Father breaks out an Aretha Franklin voice

I say a little prayer for you
Forever, and ever, you'll stay in my heart
and I will love you
Forever, and ever, we never will part
Oh, how I love you
Together, forever, that's how it must be
To live without you
Would only meen heartbreak for me.

Nobody is safe from the LNOE card now

That's hilarious!

Hey, it's just like last night's episode of The Walking Dead...
Glenn was out on the porch when the younger lady from the farm comes out and they talk about how it's his first time praying and how "You have to make it OK somehow"...ok, zombies didn't burst on the scene at that moment, but scenes like that are common in horror movies, a moment of clarity and connection, followed by a shock. It all depends on whether or not your group is down for it, though. 'Catfight' should stay as it is, because it's funnier that way and it doesn't involve the possibility of Cartwright and Amanda getting together.
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM
We jokingly play the house rule that you can use the card on only a male and female pair except with Father Joe. But you can use it with Father Joe and Billy.

However, we never leave players on the same square because of this card.

Reviews of movies, games, tv shows etc found here for all geeks: Reviews with Jables and Quantom Watchmen01
11-01-2011, 01:29 PM
But you can use it with Father Joe and Billy. Wow, would love to know the story on that idea.

I do agree about keeping heroes seperate. Yet certian heroes like amanda, becky and such are always looking to hook up ;p