Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keeping zombies simple
01-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Keeping zombies simple
An interesting thread on BGG about zombies being obsessed with eating brains and being clever enough to use weapons:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/7539...nstruction

I agree with the BGG poster and like my zombie theme as hordes of hungry creatures who are difficult to put down but whose main threat is to spread a 'virus' through a bite. I have always played with the full deck including GH, SOTF, HP1 and a couple of suppliments but I may cull some (but not all) the cards suggested in the post to get the right feel for me.

Anyone else done similar?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
RE: Keeping zombies simple
Hi, interesting read. (not really)

I disagree with it. I mean I would really love to strip a bunch of cards from the Hero Deck. There are also a couple of Zombie cards I really dislike. ....so ?

I mean Boardwalk is to expensive with a Hotel, can i get a Travelocity Discount ?

If you or the person who posted on BBG is happy with it, thats great. If you feel any game you play is to hard or unbalanced. I understand (not really) changing it to make it more enjoyable.

My Hero Deck has 111 cards, and I play with all of them, and want to add the supplements. (whenever stock up is i stock)

I dont understand why the have the expansions but not the supplemants ? They must have SOTF, they have Brilliant Idea. I dont think they are playing with a full deck to begin with. IDK

PS yup, my Zombie deck is full also.....with a couple of extra cards, just for fun. Insane19 yes when i added cards for me, i added hero cards too

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
01-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Obviously the more cards the more variables in the game and that is a big selling point. But there is also the flexibility to build in / take out a theme. Not necessarily every time but perhaps with a scenario or to reproduce a theme such as The Walking Dead?

We're not dealing with true historical fact in this game, so really anything is possible...
01-24-2012, 05:42 AM
I have the growing hunger expansion, hero pack and zombie pillage and revenge of the dead supplements. There is a lot of variation, and the game is different every time. One card i have omitted on occasion, is lights out and new spawning pit
01-24-2012, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 01:20 PM by mqstout.)
The only cards I've ever considered omitting are Fence Post (hero deck) and New Spawning Pit (but only on the "Burn 'em Out" scenario). "See You in Hell" (also hero) is getting close to being there too.

IE, cards that have a good chance of causing problems.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-24-2012, 03:12 PM
"I'll See you in Hell" ? what is this card ? what deck does it live in ? me no know this card ? you have special deck hailed from the UPS gods of long past.

When i first started playing LNOE I did and still want to custom build my Decks, but this aint Magic.

01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
"I'll see you in hell" found in: Stock Up supplement.

"I'll see you in hell" Card text on LNOE wiki.
01-24-2012, 05:23 PM
(01-24-2012 03:39 PM)Atraangelis Wrote:  "I'll see you in hell" found in: Stock Up supplement.

"I'll see you in hell" Card text on LNOE wiki.

yup, out of stock on stock up, hence the UPS comment

01-24-2012, 07:39 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2012 07:40 PM by Atraangelis.)
Thats what I get for reading without comprehension....doh..
01-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Playing many adventures, my group of gamers and I found that cards that have lasting effects make the game flow slower.
So I made this variant: card effects only last one turn.
Furthermore, the zombie player has only 3 cards, may play up to 2 every turn and discard one at the beginning of his turn in order to draw another.
We played many games this way and, until now, it seems balanced.
I made also customized Hero and Zombie decks (I have'nt included all cards: about 60 are enough), with some self-made cards and others with some changes.
Here they are.
Comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

HERO DECK
AGAINST ALL ODDS
AMMO (x2)
BACK TO BACK
BASEBALL BAT
BLOCKED WINDOWS
BODY ARMOUR (A modification of Rachelle’s Vest. Put 2 wounds counters on the card; when you lose a fight, roll 1D6: on 4+ instead of being wounded, remove a counter from the body armour)
CHAINSAW
CIGAR
COACH PARKER
CROWBAR
DOC BRODY (discard even if played on Becky)
DYNAMITE (x2)
EAT DIRT…ZOMBIE! (the zombie is not eliminated from the game, just returned to the Zombie pool)
ESCAPE THROUGH THE WINDOWS
FAITH (never remains in play; discard at the end of the turn)
FARMER STY
FIRE EXTINGUISHER (x2)
FIRST AID KIT (x2)
FLASHLIGHT
GASOLINE
GET BACK YOU DEVILS
HERO’S RAGE
HUNTING RIFLE
I FOUND IT! (play at any time)
INGRAM SUBMACHINE GUN (self-made; effect is the same of THROWING KNIVES in INVASION FROM OUTER SPACE range 2 hits all the zombies in the target square on a roll of 5+ (roll for each zombie) after use, roll D6: out of ammo on 1)
JUMPER CABLES
JUST A SCRATCH
JUST WHAT I NEEDED (play at any time; always discard after use)
KEYS
LAYING DOWN THE LAW (if played on a Law Enforcement Hero, doesn’t remain in play)
LIZZY, SHOPKEEPER (discard at the start of the next Hero turn)
MEAT CLEAVER (after use, roll 1D6 and discard on 1-2)
MR. HYDE, THE SHOP TEACHER (cannot cancel a fight)
NOW I’M MAD (may not cancel a zombie card)
OLD BETSY
PITCHFORK (no bonus if you have the torch)
PRINCIPAL GOMEZ (may not cancel a Zombie card)
PUMP SHOTGUN (x2)
RECOVERY
REVOLVER (x2)
RUSTY KEYS
SIGNAL FLARE
SHORT BARREL SHOTGUN (self-made: range 1 hits on 3+ every zombie in the target square (roll for every zombie) after use, roll 1D6: runs out of ammo on 1
T.J., THOROUGHBRED (Jenny rolls 1D6 like the other Heroes)
TORCH (x2)
WELDING TORCH

ZOMBIE DECK
ANXIOUS TO FEED (x2) (play at any time; doesn’t remain in play)
BICKERING
BRAAAAINS!
CLOSING IN (x2)
DANCE OF THE DEAD (x2)
DEADLY SURPRISE
DIVIDE AND CONQUER
DRAGGING MEAT
FIGHTING INSTINCTS
GROWING HUNGER (play at any time; doesn’t remains in play)
HEAVY RAIN (x2) (discard after the end of the Hero turn)
HERE THEY COME! (x2)
HOPELESS (x2)
I DON’T TRUST ‘EM
IT’S STUCK!
LEGION OF THE DEAD
LET’S SPLIT UP
LOCKED DOOR (x2)
LONER
LOSS OF FAITH (cannot cancel a faith card)
MY GOD, HE’S A ZOMBIE! (x2)
MY GOD, THEY’VE TAKEN THE… (play at any time; no Taken Over marker is placed: just new Zombies)
NEW SPAWNING PIT
NO… IT CAN’T BE!
OVERWHELMED
RELENTLESS ADVANCE (x2)
RESILIENT (x2)
SCRATCH AND CLAW (x2)
SHAMBLE (x2)
THE HUNGRY ONE (x2) (doesn’t remain in play)
THE LINE IS DEAD (x2)
THERE’S TOO MANY!
THEY’RE EVERYWHERE!
THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING! (doesn’t remain in play)
THIS COULD BE OUR LAST NIGHT ON EARTH
TIDE OF THE DEAD
TOOLS OF THE GRAVE
TOWN SECRETS (just “Choose any Hero Player to immediately discard one of the event cards in hand”)
TRAPPED (x2)
TRIP! (x2)
UNDEAD HATE THE LIVING
UNNECESSARY SELF SACRIFICE
UNSTOPPABLE
UUUURRRGGGHH! (x2)