Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kevin from Missouri
05-20-2010, 03:26 AM
Kevin from Missouri
Hello all! I'm 32, married, and I collect board games when I can. I'm also a graduate student in northwest Missouri, and I'll (hopefully) be a high school English teacher a year or so from now.

I have both LNOE and ATOE. I have some issues with LNOE in terms of game balance, but I haven't had a chance to play it a great deal.

I'm looking for more games like these, which include a large amount of variety due to stacks of cards, different playable characters and villains, expansion sets, and alternate rules or playing styles. These games are right up my alley--LNOE moreso, because it can be played cooperatively as well as competitively. There are not enough board games out there that can be played cooperatively without being too easy or too hard. Ah, I can continue that discussion elsewhere.

I also enjoy games using one-inch grids for gaming, collecting D&D Miniatures (well, a couple), the old HeroQuest and DragonStrike games, and other boards and pieces that I can scavenge.

You may friend me on Facebook (Kevin Nance, NW Missouri), but please put "thezombiegame.com" in your request. I am also known as "He of the Long Post"--I can and do respond for pages at a time. I'll try to work on that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2010, 03:38 AM
RE: Kevin from Missouri
Hiya Kevin! Nice to have you here.

I'm your northern neighbor, up here in Iowa.

Love to hear more about your gaming.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Welcome Kevin!

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
My gaming...? Well, I'm secretary of the little gamer group through this university, so I get more exposure to other games I'd like to try. I have recently discovered such games as Descent (dungeon game similar to HeroQuest but with some huge figurines), Talisman, and The War on Terror. All three of these I recommend--Talisman more highly, but it has a longer playing time--but I do not yet own.

After about a decade of failure, I have finally found a D&D 3.5 game with peopleabout my age! It's a Warcraft RPG set just concurrent with the events in Warcraft III.

Oh, I'm not playing it at the moment, but I've played a lot of Diablo II since 2001, mostly offline, collecting as many uniques as I can off-line by the muling process; about 70% complete so far.

But I have to say that ATOE is one of my three favorite board games, the others being Settlers of Catan, and (maybe) Apples to Apples for when I need a laugh late at night.
05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Cool. That all sounds like incredible fun.

We've got Apples to Apples as well, it's a great game, especially for family get togthers.

I've not tried Talisman, but I always thought that one looked really fun.

Never heard of the War on Terror....I'll have to look that one up.

I should see if there is some sort of gamer group around me. That sounds like it could be fun.

Zalgo....he comes.
06-04-2010, 03:26 AM
The thing about Talisman is that--especially if your players take their time during their turns, but even if they don't--the game can take hours and hours, like a classic RISK game. The reason for this is that luck largely determines your movement, so you often have to wait until you roll the right number to proceed. And it helps to know what the requirements are to advance in the game: going from the outside ring of the board to the inner rings requires fulfilling certain challenges, acquiring an item that can be found several random ways, or dumb luck if you encounter a portal or get the right spell.

However, you choose from a bunch of character classes and collect items and increase your stats, which is reminiscent of ATOE. The goal of the game is to capture the crown in the center, in which one life point is drained from all of the other players every round until you're the last one standing. But it doesn't rob from the game if players do not directly impede (attack or steal) from other players until someone gets close to the goal. If you like games where you have time to converse on the side while another player takes their turn, and you've got four to five hours to kill, it's quite fun; definitely a good game for a group of older boys and girls who enjoy long games.

Prices vary from $40 to $60, so keep an eye out. The game's rights were sold to another company, Games Workshop I believe, so the "revised 4th edition" (their version of 4th edition) of the game was released, including an expansion. It's one of the better fantasy-themed games out there for sheer variety, and probably a precursor to Flying Frog's gaming style..
06-04-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll throw in a different opinion.. Talisman is probably the worst "game" I've ever played. The game usually ends with one player being more powerful than the other players, but not yet powerful enough to "win" the game yet. This player then uses 2-3 hours bashing the other players over the head with his might, advancing until he's powerful to win the game. It takes 5 hours easily...and that's a short game.

NOT fun...
06-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Hello,
Welcome aboard you'll find lots of great stuff here.
I'm your real Northern neighbor up here in Canada...LOL

I'm also an old Heroquest player and collector.There is no better feeling than sitting down to a great 28mm based gaming session!!!
06-06-2010, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2010 07:03 AM by loremasterstl.)
fallensaviour Wrote:Hello,
Welcome aboard you'll find lots of great stuff here.
I'm your real Northern neighbor up here in Canada...LOL

I'm also an old Heroquest player and collector.There is no better feeling than sitting down to a great 28mm based gaming session!!!

I'm posting a thread about 1" grids under the open discussion area, since I'm both an old HeroQuest/DragonStrike player AND currently converting to D&D 4th edition. Suddenly one-inch grids are cool again.