Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kickin' it old school
03-05-2013, 06:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 06:55 PM by Kevthenurse.)
Kickin' it old school
Anybody else like old school games? I still like Final Fantasy Tactics (and Final Fantasy 1 for the NES of course), Star Ocean 2 and Parasite Eve 2 for PSX. I haven't been impressed enough with games for the 360 or PS3 to purchase one...they all seem to lean towards graphics in favor of storyline, character development and game play. I feel like an aging hippie when I talk to others about video games....<sighs>

I left out Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 on PC, Shadowrun, Dune, and Phantasy Star 2&4 for Sega Genesis, and Final Fantasy 6 for the SNES.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2013, 07:34 PM
RE: Kickin' it old school
I still play the original Civilization and Colonization but other than those I have a hard time running old games on my Win7 PC.

I would totally love to play Disciples 2 again, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to run on Win7.

Some other greats in my opinion:
  • GhostMaster
  • Star Wars - Tie Fighter Pilot
  • Mechwar
  • Pirates!
  • Grim Fandango
  • Rainbow 6
  • Star Control
  • Autoduel
03-05-2013, 08:53 PM
FFT: Quite simply the very best video game ever created.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2013 10:17 PM by mqstout.)
You don't understand how happy it makes me to see that everyone didn't jump on the FF7 wagon.. I AM HOME!!! It was a good game but not the greatest..
FF1
Star tropics
Blaster Master ( did I get that backwards)
Mana Quest
Odd World

I liked 9 because of story and return of the blank Mage. I loved the mogs they were funny. Everything was too linear though if that makes sense. Tactics was great too, that sprung me in to the warhammer tactical games...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
03-05-2013, 10:10 PM
I didn't care for FF 7 or 8. I did like 9 though. Never played 10, 10 - 2 or 11 (the MMORPG), but I thought 12 is well done.

Tactics though, that was and probably is my favorite console game of all time, even if monks were overpowered. I had a monk one round the leader of the game once. 2-swords, bladegrasp, and time magic (for haste) were his abilities. I gave him a bracer and power sleeve--a bit low on hps, but he could hit for 500ish a swing if I remember correctly.

Good times!
03-05-2013, 10:24 PM
I've always loved those point and click adventure games... Gee, I miss them:

1) Gabriel Knight - I was completely horrified by this game
2) Full Throttle
3) Secret of the Monkey Island
4) Day of the Tentacle II
5) The Dig

I've also wasted hours in Alone in the Dark, Carmen Sandiego, Civilization, Dune, Warcraft I, Wolfenstein and XCOM...

Fond memories...
03-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Fuzer, there are still TONS of point and click adventures being made and sold. In a way, it's kind of GOG.com's specialty. http://www.gog.com/catalogue/adventure
03-06-2013, 01:11 AM
I love old school gaming. By far my favorite game is River City Ransom for the NES. But, my favorite system has to be the Virtual Boy. I think it is funny when I have someone over to the house and they see my Virtual Boy and I have to explain what it is.

Si Vis Pacem, para bellum.
Tulta munille
03-06-2013, 01:37 AM
I forgot all about river city ransom I loved that game, but my favorite games where shining force 1 and 2.

Eating brains and taking names.
03-06-2013, 04:03 AM
I loved those old point and click adventure games such as the Monkey Island series (mentioned above) and another game which had the same kind of humour called Maddog Williams.

One series I have to mention is the Broken Sword games. God I loved them! I've just followed the link that mqstout posted and found a Broken Sword 4 game I didn't know existed. I may have to purchase.