Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
King of Tokyo
07-12-2012, 08:35 PM
King of Tokyo
Has anybody else ever played King of Tokyo? At my game night last night, one guy brought this game with him. It was a smaller and faster game that we actually played in between two games of Last Night On Earth as we were waiting on a friend of mine to arrive in time for the second game.

It was a lot of fun. Each player gets to choose one of several giant monster movie style monsters. For example, there was a King Kong-like character (who I chose) and a Godzilla-like character.

You then roll a bunch of dice. You get three tries to roll. You can earn points (you are trying to get to 20), earn currency to purchase upgrades (I grew an extra head, LOL) or heal any damage that may have been done to you (which I will explain later).

If nobody is yet in Tokyo, a claw symbol lets you go in.

If somebody ELSE is in Tokyo, a claw symbol lets you attack them. If you are in Tokyo, a claw symbol lets you attack EVERYBODY else. You win either by being the first to 20 points, or by being the last alive.

It was a lot of fun, and definitely awesome as a shorter game to play between longer games like LNOE.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM
RE: King of Tokyo
I cant wait to play! I know my wife bought this for me as a present. Sad thing is that I can not open it till saturday! I really like the artwork and the supposed simplicity of the gameplay. Seems like a great family game.
08-08-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm very keen for this one, New Zealand is out of stock at the moment but as soon as it's back i'll be grabbing it asap!
08-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Must...resist....must not give....in....
Ah crap.......where can I find it? Once I get back from Denmark I will have to raid my local gamestore and do the things we do not speak of overhere...

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 10:26 PM
As an update, my wife bought this for me but after one play she asked me to trade it. I was excited for it, but it fell flat for the two of us. Now, do not get me wrong it has great production values, pretty art and simple rules, but it wasnt for us. We had played Epic Spell Wars the night before and decided to stick with that one.
08-08-2012, 11:29 PM
(08-08-2012 10:26 PM)phantomninja Wrote:  As an update, my wife bought this for me but after one play she asked me to trade it. I was excited for it, but it fell flat for the two of us. Now, do not get me wrong it has great production values, pretty art and simple rules, but it wasnt for us. We had played Epic Spell Wars the night before and decided to stick with that one.

Interesting! First bad experience I've heard of with that game. Is it too light in the rule department? I'm just after something to bring to a couples (non gamers) games night and this looked like the ticket.
08-09-2012, 07:51 PM
To each his/her own, for sure. If you and the wifey didn't really like it, phantomninja, that is cool. I know my wife and I, as well as our gaming group, really enjoyed it. I wouldn't recommend it as the featured game for a game group (it is a bit too simple and short for that), but would definitely recommend it as one to play between other longer games.

But, as we can see, it may not be for everybody. Again, we all really enjoyed it.
08-09-2012, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012 10:42 PM by MoonSylver.)
I've thought about it, but I already HAVE a lot of Kaiju games: Monster Island, Giant Monster Rampage, Monsters Ravage America, Monsters Menace America, Godzilla: Kaiju Wars, so I have a hard time justifying another.

But I might anyway. Watchmen02
---MS Watchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
I picked it up this weekend and I must say that I enjoy it. Simple rules and fast gameplay. I played it with my son and he took on to it really fast. Finally a game I can play with my son! Luckily it came out in dutch so he can read the cards.

I wonder how it plays with more than 2 players. Because with just two players it kinda goes pretty same same after a couple of games. I guess with more players it is more hectic and who controls tokyo switches more often.

I am glad I picked it up and it was on special sale, i paid 25€ and got a couple of extra cards.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it was definitely much better with a group of players instead of just two. You are right. With just two, I am sure it is still fun, but it would get repetitive kind of quickly. Having variety with who is in "Tokyo" at each time makes the game a little more varied and fun.