Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
LNOE board redesigns
06-13-2012, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 02:55 AM by fukes.)
LNOE board redesigns
Hey guys,

So i've been googling around for LNOE board redesigns.

I'm a motion designer myself originating from a graphic design background and (please don't burn me) i've never really loved the board artwork for LNOE.

I've been planning to redesign the Aliens board game and have a good go at LNOE board tiles to make them look super lush and realistic but still conveying the B-movie feel.

Well - looks like a fellow designer has already done this! And a very good job....

http://ronamador.tripod.com/id60.html

Previews of his redesigns are available and he says on the page he'll make them available to LNOE fans...

His name is Ron, i've contacted him - not heard back yet - I also did a quick search here and didn't find him here or his designs so i'm hoping this wil be something new for you guys!

Cheers,
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2012, 04:59 AM
RE: LNOE board redesigns
Just heard back from Ron... and he says...

"Thanks very much for noticing my work! I put a lot of time into it only because i love the game so much.
I am having a hard time getting the flying frog guys to give me permission to post it on board game geek
for free. Until then, im afraid I must keep them to myself.

Check in on my site on occasion, or email me and ill update you as time goes on."

Shame...
06-13-2012, 06:09 AM
Ron has done an amazing job. But that shouldn't stop you from doing the same. Your "touch" is probably different from Ron's. Just the way different artists create different looks for the very same comic book heroes or whatever. There are thousands of possible variations and any LNoE contribution sort of strengthen the community and shows the fans take pride in their support for this game as well as being dead serious about it.

As it happens, there are loads of ideas about custom buildings so if you consider this path check this thread.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2012, 06:24 AM
What about flying frog and copyright problems? creating unofficial expansions sure - but Ron has specifically said he won't publicly release his re-designs due to copyright - surely it'll be a waste of time not being able to share any future redesigns with the community?
06-13-2012, 07:10 AM
i can say that i had not thought about the kinda difference between the horror feeling the cards give but the more comic approach of the board, and by seeing ron's redisign i agree, this boards blend into the horror theme a click better than the original.
Thanks for sharing, waiting to see your approach fukes!
06-13-2012, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2012 08:58 AM by scarydk.)
(06-13-2012 06:24 AM)fukes Wrote:  What about flying frog and copyright problems? creating unofficial expansions sure - but Ron has specifically said he won't publicly release his re-designs due to copyright - surely it'll be a waste of time not being able to share any future redesigns with the community?

Missed the preview part. Sorry. Anyway I'd personally prefer seeing custom creations from fans as they add new stuff to the game whereas for the base game parts I prefer the originals.

I just want to encourage you to create some kewl custom stuff I guess. I vote for more scenarios, more characters and new boards in steadof just more of what FFP has already made.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Thinking cap is already on and thanks for the thread link earlier...!
06-13-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't think FFP can make problems with new stuff just as long as the creator does not SELL them.
Giving them away for free should not be a problem legally.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
06-14-2012, 01:49 AM
(06-13-2012 07:10 AM)argailwall Wrote:  i can say that i had not thought about the kinda difference between the horror feeling the cards give but the more comic approach of the board, and by seeing ron's redisign i agree, this boards blend into the horror theme a click better than the original.
Thanks for sharing, waiting to see your approach fukes!

Although they are different styles, I'd say these are much more than just a click better. Couple notches? Perhaps even a separate knob?

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."
06-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I like both boards, but I think the real LNOE ones work better. Why? It's a game. Ron's, while amazing to look at, draw your eye in really, a lot. The official boards don't really do that. There are tons of details to see, but it's easy to look at them as a game board. Of "Ron's boards", the graveyard or maybe barn one works best for me. The high school, gun shop and hospital ones, they certainly do not.