Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LNoE Game Report 6B Zombie Apocalypse (me as Heroes)
07-02-2012, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 07:27 PM by samuraitrev.)
LNoE Game Report 6B Zombie Apocalypse (me as Heroes)
Thank you for taking the time to look at this game report. The scenario is from the Growing Hunger expansion. If you've never read a report before please read this one. I think its one of the best games I've ever had. With that said read on.

Scenario Special Rules: Zombie Horde (21), Zombies Auto Spawn, Hero Starting Cards 2, Heroes Replenish, Free Search Markers, Well Stocked Buildings.

Mission: The Zombies must Destroy 6 Buildings.
Board Sections: Gun Shop, Hospital, The Barn and The Factory.
Characters: Amanda, Jenny, Mr Goddard and Sam.
Starting Zombies: 10
Turns: 16

PI = Play Immediately
RIP = Remains In Play
UI = Unique Item
ST = Survival Tactic
ZGW= Zombie Grave Weapon

Pregame
Amanda starts at the Town Centre with a Hunting Rifle and a Revolver. Jenny is at home in the Farmhouse with Old Man Sty's Shotgun. Mr Goddard is with Amanda at the Town Centre with a Shotgun and a Shovel. Sam has barricaded himself in his Diner mentally scared from the battle for the Manor House (see last game). Sam is armed with his trusty Baseball Bat from under the counter.

Turn 1
Mr Goddard: "Just stick with me and we'll make it out of here. I was a scout leader"
Amanda: "Ok but first chance we get change that mingin' shirt. Who wears green shirts anyway? Oh yeah and if you try that pencil dropping trick again you're down the well. You're old enough to be my dad. Ewww...."
Mr Goddard: "This shirts an original Van de Housen and...LOOK OUT!!"
Zombies come roaring and screaming from the shadows and Mr Goddard is 1st to shoot with the Shotgun taking off the heads of 2 Zombies. Amanda braces her Rifle and shoots killing her 1st Zombie but the recoil blows the inexperienced shooter back and she fumbles the Rifle discarding it down the well.

Turn 2
Mr Goddard: "If we ever get back to the real world you've just earned yourself a detention for a year!"
Amanda is disgusted and now has Teen Angst. The Zombies are going frantic desperate for brains tearing into the buildings to get at poor souls trapped within. With an almighty crash the Airplane Hanger and The Barn collapse and are destroyed the Zombies are crushed along with any survivors within... 2 Buildings had fell to the forces of death and decay. Amanda hears a familiar whine and finds poor Old Betsy trapped in an abandoned car. Amanda frees her and Old Betsy licks her hand with obvious joy.

Turn 3
Old Betsy howls protectively and runs away from Amanda. The animal's senses picking up one of the sources of the outbreak. Old Betsy charges through the Zombie infested Hospital and straight into the Morgue barking and howling at the bewildered Zombies.

Amanda finds some UI Medical Records in the Antique Shop. Jenny goes berserk with her Shotgun firing into the Plant killing 3 Zombies in there.

She then discards the Shotgun as all her shells had been spent. Meanwhile Sam had left the tenuous safety of the Diner and Picked Up a Hunting Rifle from the Gun Shop.
Sam: " 's gonna be just like old times just me and painless kicking some rotten ass"

Turn 4
Old Betsy manages to pin x4 Zombies in the Morgue. Sam has to discard his Rifle as it falls to pieces as soon as it's fired.
Sam: "Gaghhhhh what the f*%k man. What a piece of cheap commie junk"
Jenny kills another Zombie in the Plant with her Shotgun the floor of the place was black with rancid ichor. Amanda starts to feel the cold in the Antique Shop and pulls a jacket off a corpse who had committed suicide rather than face the infection. Inside it the label said UI Johnny's Jacket.

Turn 5
The terror had become too much for Old Betsy and she ran off into the night. The Zombies once again were on the move. A passing Zombie had clicked on an oven in the kitchen several days ago and the gas ignited as a Zombie dropped a metal bar on the ground KABOOOOM!!! The Hospital was gone.
As the echoes died out across the town the Heroes threw themselves into action the desperate fight for survival had truly began. Jenny kills another Zombie in The Plant with her Shotgun .She had become a Zombie killing machine, gaining her advanced Ability Prepared. Sam Picks Up another Rifle and uses ST Ammo Belt on it. Mr Goddard finds a Flashlight as he searches through the abandoned Factory. Amanda shoots an Explosive GWZ with her Revolver; it exploded wiping it out with a nearby luckless dead guy.

Turn 6
Mr Goddard kills Zombie Elvis, staving its head in with a Shovel.
Mr Goddard: "Ladies and gentlemen Elvis' brains have left his cranium!"
Sam has to discard 2 of his ammo from his Ammo Belt to kill a Zombie with his Rifle. Mr Goddard discards his Flashlight and gets a Fire Extinguisher. Amanda kills a Zombie with her Revolver at point blank range straight through its eye. The stains in her blue dress were there to stay. Amanda had now faced her fears and had become hardened against the bleak world. She had gained her Advanced Ability Drama.

Turn 7
Sam decides that Zombies can't hurt him as they're not actually real. He had quite wrongly become Overconfident.
Sam: "Get back, you're just head demons brought on by agent orange and the LSD cocktails that Howling Mad Murdock spiked me with in '72"
A hungry Zombie took a bestial bite out of the Sam's arm biting one of his faded tattoos in half.
Sam: "Oh wow! That felt pretty damn real. Urghh oh no I'm blacking out again. I Feel Kinda Strange."
Another Zombie leapt upon him and Sam's madness lifted. He took the Zombie down with a crushing hip throw and smashed his Baseball Bat into its skull. Its skull shattered like some grotesque jigsaw killing it instantly. Amanda coolly took aim with her Revolver dispatching another walking abomination. Jenny carries on defending The Plant and kills another Zombie with the Shotgun. Sam killed another Zombie with his Rifle switching between firing and hand to hand. He had gained his Advanced Ability Flashback.

Turn 8
Jenny had spent so long on her own she had become a Loner. Mr Goddard smashed another Zombie skull in with his Shovel which broke from the impact and had to be discarded. Amanda is forced to discard her Revolver as the clip was empty. Jenny adds another kill to her name with the Shotgun. Sam had joined Jenny in defending the Plant and he expertly kills a Zombie with his Rifle.

Turn 9
The Antique Shop is plunged into darkness with Lights Out. Mr Goddard is forced to fight a Zombie with his bare hands and manages to kill it by throwing it down a flight of stairs. Sam explodes another head with a clean Rifle shot.
Sam: "The f%*kers picked the wrong f%*king day to f%*k me off!"

Turn 10
Jenny: "They just keep coming, when's it going to end?"
Sam: "Just keep firing. Take out their heads. There can't be many more. I've got your back private."
Jenny kills 2 Zombies with the Shotgun then discards it. Sam takes down another Zed with his Rifle.

Turn 11
Jenny: "I'm out. I'm going to fetch another gun"
Sam: "Take your time sweetiepie. This is a picnic compared to yesterday!"
Sam ends another Zombies existence and finally runs out of ammo for his Rifle.
Sam: "Damn. Spoke too soon..."

Turn 12
Jenny is ambushed by 2 roaming Zombies she runs straight into in the darkness. One of the Zombies bites into her neck severely wounding her the other tears into her with its bare hands killing her.

She shudders on the floor momentarily only to rise once more as a Zombie Hero. A new Hero arrives in town. It's Becky carrying a large can of Gasoline. Sam didn't seem worried by the fact he'd lost his gun he knew he was a born Survivor. The Zombies had gained their 1st Advanced Ability Outbreak. Becky charged across town and threw the Gasoline into the Zombies who were stood around the Factory. Mr Goddard sensing the plan threw his fire item at it and the Gasoline ignited and exploded. The Zombies shrieked in the inferno in fear or pain but the wails were mercifully short. Zombie Jenny and 3 other Zombies had been put to rest.

Turn 13
Amanda kills with a newly acquired Rifle. Sam Picks Up a Shotgun from the Gun Shop.

Turn 14
Mr Goddard desperately fights off another Zombie and manages to kill it.
Mr Goddard: "Get Back You Devils". Sam kills 2 Zombies with the Shotgun but has to discard it as that weapon too falls to pieces.

Turn 15
More Explosions rock the city as the Antique Shop and the Library are destroyed. Another 2 Buildings fall to rubble. 5 buildings had now been reduced to ground level in Woodinvale. The Zombies needed to take down 1 more structure to take the town. Becky kills 1 Zombie with a Shotgun in the seemingly endless tide of the dead.

Turn 16
Mr Goddard discards the Fire Extinguisher sending Zombies flailing in all directions. Sam crushes another Zombie skull with his Baseball Bat. Becky kills a Resilient Zombie and discards her spent Shotgun. Amanda Picks Up a Shotgun but discards it again realizing it was useless. A Zombie bursts out of a storeroom and viciously bites Amanda wounding her.
Sam: "Stand aside. This ones mine..."
Sam punches the thing in its face knocking it to the ground. The last thing the Zombie saw was an upraised Baseball Bat and a horrible enraged face.

' Abashed the Devil Stood and felt how awful goodness is ' (John Milton Paradise Lost)

Result: Hero victory (Dawn had risen and only 5 buildings destroyed).
Weapon of choice: Shotgun (15 kills)
Hero of the game: Sam (10 kills)
Final kill Count: (37 kills)

Epilogue:
Although battle scared and smoking the town of Woodinvale stood as a testament to the iron will and comradery of the human spirit. Out of the ruins survivors crawled out to blinding sunlight they thought they would never behold once more. The survivors were met by four grim legends silhouetted against the dawn like ancient statues etched by the forces of nature. Their eyes held visions from the abyss yet their words gave a glimmer of hope. Corpses lay strewn across the town and would take days to burn. Now the defences would be built around the town and the fight back would begin. One giant of a man stood upon a mound of corpses and roared a blood curdling battle rally.
Sam: "You killed our friends, you murdered our families you burned our homes. Yet we remain. If any of you out there can hear me. Run."

Upon Reflection
There is no greater feeling than playing such an epic close game as this. Especially to win with random Heroes and Board Sections. The Zombies fatal flaw I believe was destroying 2 of the buildings with Spawning Pits. This left the Zombies funneling out and getting pushed together as target practice for the endless guns I seemed to be getting. The Zombies options were more limited by this. The Ammo Belt is a great piece of kit. Basically Sam was stood immobile firing the Rifle twice and if it discarded I could just use an Ammo counter. The Heroes kept farming the Gun Shop for more guns and Zombies were dropping like flies. That been said it was a constant battle to stop the Zombies there were several times when if I'd missed the shot the last building would have gone. But the Heroes just hung on to the bloody conclusion.

If you are reading this please comment.
To see the next game report go here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...-as-Heroes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
RE: LNoE Game Report 6B Zombie Apocalypse
EXCELLENT!!!

nice played game, balanced up to the last turn thanks for the report!
07-03-2012, 11:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 11:27 AM by scarydk.)
Great report. The narrow victories and losses is what makes me want to come back for more. Thanks for portraying it so well. I'd highlight the heroic efforts of Betsy. Just gotta love that dog Watchmen02

Also, thanks for the inspirational pics. Being a prop addict myself I especially enjoy details like the gasoline blast. Well, it is a blast! Watchmen02

In a game like this I can't help noticing the shooting rampage. You can easily tell this flick takes place in the US. The European version would only see one firearm (the hunting rifle) and lots of thrown weapons like beer bottles (either from inferior brands or otherwise empty) and small cars hurled through the air.

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 04:46 PM by samuraitrev.)
(07-03-2012 08:17 AM)argailwall Wrote:  EXCELLENT!!!

nice played game, balanced up to the last turn thanks for the report!

No problem Argailwall thanks for taking the time to read it.
(07-03-2012 11:22 AM)scarydk Wrote:  Great report. The narrow victories and losses is what makes me want to come back for more. Thanks for portraying it so well. I'd highlight the heroic efforts of Betsy. Just gotta love that dog Watchmen02

Yeah Old Betsy basically stopped any Zombies from moving from the Hospital Spawning Pit for 2 whole turns. (Turns 3+4). This gave me a little time to concentrate on the other Zombies milling about and cut their numbers down. In a scenario like this Old Betsy proved a useful ally.

I will let you into a secret. I tossed a coin to decide if Old Betsy would be killed or escape when writing this story. It seems fate was on her side as well as mine and she ran for the hills!
07-03-2012, 09:43 PM
trev,

I'm running out the door to take my kids to gymnastics but wanted to let you know I enjoyed the game report!

I will comment more later.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Another great read! Great use of Betsy, up there with putting barracades around the Morgue.

BTW - where do the Fire Discs come from? Will we be getting them in Timber Peaks with its fire rule?
07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
samurai, you play some great LNOE games! I love that your games seem to come down to the last turn or two with the victory still in doubt.

Nice zombie carnage and hard fought victory for the heroes in this latest game. I really enjoyed the thought processes and comments from your heroes and Betsy is an awesome figure.

Good job!

+1 rep for your never-ending imagination that makes the game reports so fun.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
07-05-2012, 03:00 AM
Great report. I never heard of so much zombie killin'. I love this scenario because of the zombie hoard rules. Soooooo many zombies. This one is hard for the heroes. Glad they could pull it off. Fun read, and great pics as always. Thanks for the report. Zombie17
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Damn, why do I read these reports while I'm working? It makes me want to play the game immediately.
07-05-2012, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2012 06:25 PM by samuraitrev.)
(07-04-2012 06:07 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Another great read! Great use of Betsy, up there with putting barracades around the Morgue.

BTW - where do the Fire Discs come from? Will we be getting them in Timber Peaks with its fire rule?

Thanks Achtung Panzer. Betsy's a star, I think a good steak's in order for her.

The blast radius disks are from an early edition of Warhammer 40,000. I just thought it would be cool to use them to represent explosions for this game too.
(07-04-2012 08:33 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  samurai, you play some great LNOE games! I love that your games seem to come down to the last turn or two with the victory still in doubt.

Nice zombie carnage and hard fought victory for the heroes in this latest game. I really enjoyed the thought processes and comments from your heroes and Betsy is an awesome figure.

Good job!

+1 rep for your never-ending imagination that makes the game reports so fun.
Cheers Goodcop. It's the mark of a well balanced game that victory is never certain until the last few turns. Although I would say it's weighted in the Zombies favour. As a true Hero you never give up hope. Heroes never quit! Yes lots of carnage 37 kills and explosions all over the place! I'm glad you enjoyed the report. If you like Betsy here's another pic.

Here's one of Zombie Betsy

(07-05-2012 03:00 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  Great report. I never heard of so much zombie killin'. I love this scenario because of the zombie hoard rules. Soooooo many zombies. This one is hard for the heroes. Glad they could pull it off. Fun read, and great pics as always. Thanks for the report. Zombie17

Thanks Vikinglad. Yes a Zombie Horde (Zombie Pool of 21) and Zombies Auto Spawn sure keeps the Heroes busy! Thanks for reading. I played a game last night and have written it up. Episode 7B coming soon...
(07-05-2012 01:56 PM)LFuzer Wrote:  Damn, why do I read these reports while I'm working? It makes me want to play the game immediately.

Haha I wish I could check out TZG while I'm at work. I'm sure I'd want to PLAY IMMEDIATELY too!