Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Poll: Do you like the idea of limiting luck in LNOE?
I like it a lot!
It's interesting but...
I'm indifferent
I feel it takes away from the game.
I dislike the idea.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Less Luck.
07-01-2014, 02:01 PM
RE: Less Luck.
I mean, by all means, if you come up with something, absolutely post it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Sounds like you should get a new gaming group. LOL! Kidding. But, seriously, though, I can't stand people who can't just have fun with a game. I mean, it's fine if maybe it isn't quite your cup of tea. But, don't ruin the fun for others. To me, anybody who could be described as somebody who "isn't a very good loser," or "isn't a very good winner," or both is somebody I wouldn't want in my gaming group. You certainly shouldn't have to greatly alter the game just for them to enjoy it. But, as I said, if it works for you and works for them, go for it.

My gaming group actually once had a guy who kind of ruined it in my view. Sad thing is, the dude was one of my best friends from high school. He moved back to town and we started to hang out, and I invited him to join us. He'd typically be fine, but the minute somebody came up with an awesome move that suddenly screwed him over, he'd get all bent out of shape, act like a giant child, and take it WAY too seriously. I mean, it is just a board game, and screwing over your opponent is part of the point of the game. To me, if somebody pulls off a big move like that on me, I laugh and jokingly say "You suck!" or something like that, because it is all part of the fun. My friend eventually stopped coming, thank goodness. I didn't want to have to deal with actually asking somebody not to come, but our game night is supposed to be fun and I won't stand for anybody ruining that for the rest of us.
Find all posts by this user
07-03-2014, 04:39 PM
i'd at least like to hear what you come up with... my gamer group likes strategy over straight luck.. sure. even with a good plan 'stuff happens' but we've all had days where the dice was 100% against you.. or the draw pile had 40 cards of junk on the top and all the gas was stacked together on the bottom.

amazing bad luck happens.. but it should be rare.. same with amazing good luck. it's no fun if your gamers first draws are all their objectives and stuff they need to win in 2 turns. and happend repeatively.

for the most part. luck should be average or even.. with lil bumps and troughs.. and every now and then pits and peaks. it shouldn't constantly flop from disaster to miracle, like rolling a die for movement turn to turn can make it seem. wow.. running across an open field and all i can roll is a string of 1's ? really... contrasted with running thru a crowded diner of tables and i can drop 6's all day.

that in itself takes away from reality and playability for those of us gamers that prefer mechanics that actually work and mimic real life.

(06-28-2014 11:46 PM)aprillo Wrote:  I agree to some extent. But I like playing with these guys, and I don't plan on eliminating the luck factor. Just lessening it, or even making it slightly more predictable.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
07-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Okay well cool. Ive got some stuff more or less ready for play. We did a bit of play testing, most of it worked great, some still needs some work.

And in my friends defense, their impecable losers and winners for heavier stratedgy based games. They just have no patience whe they feel either end of it was totally luck based, like Soundguy mentioned.

They're coming for us!!! ... Brains brains ... Ahhh somebody save-- ... Om nom nom
07-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Personally I enjoy how crazy random LNOE is, the fact that it feels as though you're gonna win easily then all of a sudden you roll 3 1's while fighting with your most awesome character, and die! The zombies are now on a rampage! It really does remind me of zombie movies!

That said, I'm all up for mixing it up now and again, me and my group have had loads of fun making our own events and weapons and Any game we play I'll suggest zombie auto spawn just to make it more challenging for the heroes!

So just try what you like and tell us if it works, if people think it sounds like their cup of tea, great!
07-07-2014, 03:54 PM
(07-07-2014 07:49 AM)Colbowski Wrote:  Personally I enjoy how crazy random LNOE is, the fact that it feels as though you're gonna win easily then all of a sudden you roll 3 1's while fighting with your most awesome character, and die! The zombies are now on a rampage! It really does remind me of zombie movies!

I also love the exact opposite just as much. When the Heroes are really getting their butts kicked, and the odds are really against them. It seems like there is NO WAY they are going to pull out a win..... then suddenly they do. Just by the skin of their teeth, they pull victory out at the last minute. Again, that is why I love that this game is a blend of luck and strategy.
10-06-2014, 02:02 AM
I stated in a different thread that it could be possible to split the Hero Deck between each corner of the board and the Hero only draws from the Deck that corresponds to the L-Shaped board they are currently on. The Discard piles could be split as well or combined into one Discard pile.
Of course, this presents the problem of drawing cards while on the center board. Or if the zombies force to discard cards from the Hero Deck and possibly winning due to last Hero Card discarded.

The last Hero Card discarded rule has become an old relic of a rule anyways as it is hardly ever needed. Could possibly make it to where the Zombies win if 2 or 3 Hero Decks are depleted. But you might as well just discard the rule entirely.
The Zombie cards that discard cards from the Hero Deck could be chosen with Zombie's Choice.
Hero's can have Hero's Choice when drawing from Hero Deck while on Center Board.
All in All, This diminishes the Luck factor by giving you access to more of the cards since they are split between the L Boards.
You cannot search a building on a L Board that has it's Hero Deck depleted.
10-06-2014, 06:15 PM
That is definitely a fun idea. I've just personally never been in favor of splitting the deck between different sections of the board. I mean, that isn't to say it wouldn't be a fun idea. One of my concerns with that, though, is that it could lead to the possible problem of wasting time searching repeatedly through a deck that, as it would turn out, doesn't even have the item you are trying to find.

Granted, I know that is actually a little more realistic, but I think it is realistic in a way the hinders the game play. To me, that is realistic in a way where the game should just be unrealistic for the sake of being more fun as a game.

When the deck is all together, you can certainly still wind up searching and searching only to find that everything you needed was stuck on the bottom. But, at least you know for a fact that it is in there somewhere. So, you don't run the risk of wasting all this time searching when you were never going to find what you needed.

Again, that's just my opinion, though.