Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Level 7 [Escape]
06-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Level 7 [Escape]
Has anyone tried this game out yet?

I reluctantly bought a used copy - and by reluctant, I mean very reluctant - a friend, the friend who got me into board games and sold me my copy of IFOS, lend me the game and it sat in my room unplayed for more than a month, so long that I had to agree to buy it eventually. After months and months, I finally decided to try it out and well, I had an average experience with it.

It's a semi-cooperative game where the main goal is to escape, and it will take you seven scenarios to completely escape, with each scenario representing each level of the base/prison/laboratory/whatever that place is. Semi-cooperative means that each player has the same goal - to escape - and you can work together in order to achieve this goal or not. It's like Left 4 Dead - it's much easier if you all work together, but when you reach the end and all hell breaks loose, it's every man for himself.

The good stuff:

- I like the randomness of the board - it's like a snowflake, each game will definitely result in a different board layout. Improves the replayability of the game. And the detail of the tiles - you explore things like an incinerator, several different corridors, different labs, etc. They're all nice-looking and they all make sense.

The game also makes use of vents - each tile can have different tunnels at the edges, and if the tunnels end up getting connected to vents, you can enter one vent, follow a tunnel, and exit out of another vent. As you're forming the board, keeping an eye for the system of vents helps gameplay.

- The game mechanics make it possible to have two enemy types AND have them fight each other too, so it's not just you vs the game - you can get the enemies to fight each other for your advantage. And I love it when that happens.

- The fear and vitality system is great. The number of cards in your hand represent your health, so you really need to give your card usage a thought or two as it may be the difference between getting KO'ed and surviving.

- They saved a lot on combining card effects into single cards. Adrenaline cards (quite similar to Hero cards) can do 3 things, modify your stats for the many different 'tests', have a game effect, or adjust your fear level by 1. So you have a lot of options for one card, unlike LNOE's cards where one card is only good for recovering wounds. Event cards dictate (1) if an enemy spawns, and what kind, (2) one effect out of three different effects that depends on what kind of tile you explored, and (3) which enemies activate at the end of your turn. So each card is maximized.

- The scenarios are strongly linked together. In the first scenario, you and your fellow captives need to find an elevator. In the second scenario, the elevator stalls on the next level and you have to find a way to make it functional again. And so on. In some ways, I'm glad I stuck with the game and played through 2 scenarios, because I want to know why my character was captured in the first place.

The bad stuff:

- The rulebook. UGH. I haven't had much experience learning board games by myself, most games I've played were facilitated by others who already know the game. And I guess I got spoiled by how Flying Frog rulebooks are so easy to read and understand. If you had trouble with the ATOE rulebook, then you're going to have a lot of trouble with this game.

There's no TOC, no index, and there are two separate manuals - a rulebook for the general rules, and a scenario book for the scenario specific rules. I've had such a difficult time with the rules that I shudder at the thought of having to explain the game to novices.

- Instead of miniatures, you get cardboard cutouts on standees. I normally don't have problems with this (I was fine with King of Tokyo's cardboard figures), there are functional issues that stem from not using miniatures. First off, the cardboard cutouts are too big for the board tiles. Once the game starts to be a bit busy, you'll find yourselves having to pick up each cutout just to check which one is which. Functionally, there's a reason - each enemy type is numbered, and they act in order of their numbers, but they could've added numbers to the miniatures to identify this. Plus, the art on the cardboard cutouts is dark, sometimes it's hard to make out what the cutout is supposed to represent. Under poor lighting conditions, this will lead to difficulties.

- Despite the randomness of the board, there are scenario specific rules that determine when a goal is going to be met (probably to manage the game length, to avoid games being too short or too long), so it kind of ruins the suspense. The first scenario, for example, requires the players to find the elevator. Because of the set up, you know that the soonest time you'll find the elevator is after you've explored 8 tiles - so while you're exploring those 8 tiles, you know that you're not going to find the elevator. You're just going through the 8 tiles as fast as you can so that you can find that freaking elevator.

- The game lacks a lot of flavor. A game like this that is supposed to be scary needs a lot of flavor to reinforce the theme, and it just fails. The event cards keep telling you to do an Intelligence test, or a Strength test, or a Speed test, but it never tells you WHY. A good comparison is A Touch of Evil - you're told to do a Spirit test, but the game never fails at explaining what the Spirit test represents in the game. In Level 7, you move to a tile, then you do some sort of test. Rinse and repeat.

The publishers have left a lot to the players imaginations; use an adrenaline card to lower your fear by 1 and modify your Intelligence by one. Um, why? How did you lower your fear and improve your thinking? Did you take a deep breath and calmed yourself down? Did you take some sort of medicine? You drew an Event card that told you to pass an Intelligence 5 test and if you failed, an alien will spawn. Um, why? What does that test represent? Did the board tile have some sort of sudoku puzzle that if I failed to solve it, an alien sudoku enthusiast would come up to me and get mad at me?

This is where the game really fails, for me. Imagine yourself, exploring one random tile after another, usually doing some sort of dice test for no reason other than because a card told you so. And then every so often, you have to stop because you need to consult the rules, which takes a while because there's no table of contents or index to help you.

Final thoughts:

- Level 7 [Escape] has a lot of good things going for it, and a lot of bad things too. It's not a bad game, but the bad things keep it from becoming a great game. If you're like me, who doesn't own a lot of games, then it can be worth playing especially since it's not like LNOE where I need someone competent enough to play the other side, and it's not like Flash Point where there's very little story to make you want to keep playing it.

But even I'm not too enthusiastic about it. Honestly, I'm really craving for Mice and Mystics, which has a similar scenario structure that fleshes out an entire storyline. It's just too fiddly and it doesn't help my imagination much for me to really enjoy it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
RE: Level 7 [Escape]
Level 7: It's an alright game. Its main benefit is it's relatively fast. I'm not a big fan overall, though. It's in the "play once in a while" group for me.
06-24-2013, 03:55 PM
(06-24-2013 02:09 PM)LabRat Wrote:  The good stuff:

I agree with your "good stuff" so no comments here

(06-24-2013 02:09 PM)LabRat Wrote:  The bad stuff:

- The rulebook. UGH. I haven't had much experience learning board games by myself, most games I've played were facilitated by others who already know the game. And I guess I got spoiled by how Flying Frog rulebooks are so easy to read and understand. If you had trouble with the ATOE rulebook, then you're going to have a lot of trouble with this game.

There's no TOC, no index, and there are two separate manuals - a rulebook for the general rules, and a scenario book for the scenario specific rules. I've had such a difficult time with the rules that I shudder at the thought of having to explain the game to novices.

Scenario driven games do have separate rulebooks and scenario books in most cases. Its usually done with those games that scenario is "spoiler" sensitive or publisher doesnt want scenarios to be seen. Check out Descent 1st or 2nd edition, or SpaceHulk 3rd edition. Its not a big deal.

(06-24-2013 02:09 PM)LabRat Wrote:  - Instead of miniatures, you get cardboard cutouts on standees. I normally don't have problems with this (I was fine with King of Tokyo's cardboard figures), there are functional issues that stem from not using miniatures. First off, the cardboard cutouts are too big for the board tiles. Once the game starts to be a bit busy, you'll find yourselves having to pick up each cutout just to check which one is which. Functionally, there's a reason - each enemy type is numbered, and they act in order of their numbers, but they could've added numbers to the miniatures to identify this. Plus, the art on the cardboard cutouts is dark, sometimes it's hard to make out what the cutout is supposed to represent. Under poor lighting conditions, this will lead to difficulties.

Use 16mm miniatures from reaper minis instead. True that they are too big and cover the tile (that is too small). Use transparent bases to solve the problem as well. I did.

(06-24-2013 02:09 PM)LabRat Wrote:  - Despite the randomness of the board, there are scenario specific rules that determine when a goal is going to be met (probably to manage the game length, to avoid games being too short or too long), so it kind of ruins the suspense. The first scenario, for example, requires the players to find the elevator. Because of the set up, you know that the soonest time you'll find the elevator is after you've explored 8 tiles - so while you're exploring those 8 tiles, you know that you're not going to find the elevator. You're just going through the 8 tiles as fast as you can so that you can find that freaking elevator.

And how this is bad for the gameplay? It limits the possibility that you will die in the facility. Its like a clock that measures game time. Plus - you can find the elevator quickly or not. Rolling double head for the next 6 tiles its not so obvious.

(06-24-2013 02:09 PM)LabRat Wrote:  - The game lacks a lot of flavor. A game like this that is supposed to be scary needs a lot of flavor to reinforce the theme, and it just fails. The event cards keep telling you to do an Intelligence test, or a Strength test, or a Speed test, but it never tells you WHY. A good comparison is A Touch of Evil - you're told to do a Spirit test, but the game never fails at explaining what the Spirit test represents in the game. In Level 7, you move to a tile, then you do some sort of test. Rinse and repeat.

The publishers have left a lot to the players imaginations; use an adrenaline card to lower your fear by 1 and modify your Intelligence by one. Um, why? How did you lower your fear and improve your thinking? Did you take a deep breath and calmed yourself down? Did you take some sort of medicine? You drew an Event card that told you to pass an Intelligence 5 test and if you failed, an alien will spawn. Um, why? What does that test represent? Did the board tile have some sort of sudoku puzzle that if I failed to solve it, an alien sudoku enthusiast would come up to me and get mad at me?

This is where the game really fails, for me. Imagine yourself, exploring one random tile after another, usually doing some sort of dice test for no reason other than because a card told you so. And then every so often, you have to stop because you need to consult the rules, which takes a while because there's no table of contents or index to help you.

I, again, see nothing wrong with it. If you have imagination you really do not nee any flavor text. Its not the RPG.
On the adrenaline cards you have some text so you know what is cooking.

(06-24-2013 02:09 PM)LabRat Wrote:  Final thoughts:

- Level 7 [Escape] has a lot of good things going for it, and a lot of bad things too. It's not a bad game, but the bad things keep it from becoming a great game. If you're like me, who doesn't own a lot of games, then it can be worth playing especially since it's not like LNOE where I need someone competent enough to play the other side, and it's not like Flash Point where there's very little story to make you want to keep playing it.

But even I'm not too enthusiastic about it. Honestly, I'm really craving for Mice and Mystics, which has a similar scenario structure that fleshes out an entire storyline. It's just too fiddly and it doesn't help my imagination much for me to really enjoy it.

Its a very good game in my opinion. Rulebook is not that clear but you do not have 12 page FAQ or errata to help you understand it. Rules are simple and we had no problem with understanding it while playing the first scenario. Yes, we checked from time to time, but no serious stops.

I do recommend the game. Lockout addon is available. 3rd Level 7 game will have miniatures and will be little bit like Space Hulk - marines team coming to the facility to stop evil mutated monsters. and greys ;-)
Find all posts by this user
06-24-2013, 04:36 PM
(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  Scenario driven games do have separate rulebooks and scenario books in most cases. Its usually done with those games that scenario is "spoiler" sensitive or publisher doesnt want scenarios to be seen. Check out Descent 1st or 2nd edition, or SpaceHulk 3rd edition. Its not a big deal.

I think part of the problem is that I haven't played a lot of board games. Outside of LNOE and ATOE (which had great rulebooks, IMHO), I only have Flash Point and Level 7. But you did agree that the rulebook isn't that clear Watchmen02

I think publishers need to pay attention to the clarity of the rules. There's a lot of games out there, and a lot of players with short attention spans. First impressions and all.

And this almost made me give up on the game. I had it for months and I couldn't get myself to play the game because of the rules - if I wasn't itching for a co-op experience (I'm having trouble getting a copy of Mice and Mystics), I wouldn't have even bothered trying this out.

(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  Use 16mm miniatures from reaper minis instead. True that they are too big and cover the tile (that is too small). Use transparent bases to solve the problem as well. I did.

I'm actually thinking of getting minis for the game. But you have to admit, the standees are issues that should have been addressed, after all, this game is already pricey - it doesn't look too good if players have to spend extra cash on getting minis from an external source.

(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  And how this is bad for the gameplay? It limits the possibility that you will die in the facility. Its like a clock that measures game time. Plus - you can find the elevator quickly or not. Rolling double head for the next 6 tiles its not so obvious.

It just limits the unpredictability. I mean, that's my opinion, right? It'd be great for me if it was completely unpredictable, that there's a chance for us to find the elevator within the first 8 squares. Knowing that we won't reduces the suspense. It doesn't affect the gameplay, but it really depends on what you're playing the game for - are you playing it for a suspenseful experience or are you playing it for the mechanics? It's a nitpick that merited inclusion in my list of bad stuff. Watchmen02

(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  I, again, see nothing wrong with it. If you have imagination you really do not nee any flavor text. Its not the RPG.

I'd have to disagree. One of the things that differentiate board games from pen and paper RPGs is how the components create that world for you. The game has excellent looking board tiles, but fell flat for me when it comes to explaining what was going on. This is one of the strengths of Flying Frog games, especially ATOE and FANG - the game gives you an idea why you're rolling your dice, and doesn't require you to come up with your own idea. Like that card for discovering a secret passage - the card tells you that you're looking for it, that passing the Cunning test means you found it, which explains the results.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, I just don't share the same enthusiasm that you have. To each his own, I guess? Watchmen02
06-24-2013, 05:11 PM
(06-24-2013 04:36 PM)LabRat Wrote:  
(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  Scenario driven games do have separate rulebooks and scenario books in most cases. Its usually done with those games that scenario is "spoiler" sensitive or publisher doesnt want scenarios to be seen. Check out Descent 1st or 2nd edition, or SpaceHulk 3rd edition. Its not a big deal.

I think part of the problem is that I haven't played a lot of board games. Outside of LNOE and ATOE (which had great rulebooks, IMHO), I only have Flash Point and Level 7. But you did agree that the rulebook isn't that clear Watchmen02

I think publishers need to pay attention to the clarity of the rules. There's a lot of games out there, and a lot of players with short attention spans. First impressions and all.

And this almost made me give up on the game. I had it for months and I couldn't get myself to play the game because of the rules - if I wasn't itching for a co-op experience (I'm having trouble getting a copy of Mice and Mystics), I wouldn't have even bothered trying this out.

(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  Use 16mm miniatures from reaper minis instead. True that they are too big and cover the tile (that is too small). Use transparent bases to solve the problem as well. I did.

I'm actually thinking of getting minis for the game. But you have to admit, the standees are issues that should have been addressed, after all, this game is already pricey - it doesn't look too good if players have to spend extra cash on getting minis from an external source.

(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  And how this is bad for the gameplay? It limits the possibility that you will die in the facility. Its like a clock that measures game time. Plus - you can find the elevator quickly or not. Rolling double head for the next 6 tiles its not so obvious.

It just limits the unpredictability. I mean, that's my opinion, right? It'd be great for me if it was completely unpredictable, that there's a chance for us to find the elevator within the first 8 squares. Knowing that we won't reduces the suspense. It doesn't affect the gameplay, but it really depends on what you're playing the game for - are you playing it for a suspenseful experience or are you playing it for the mechanics? It's a nitpick that merited inclusion in my list of bad stuff. Watchmen02

(06-24-2013 03:55 PM)skolo Wrote:  I, again, see nothing wrong with it. If you have imagination you really do not nee any flavor text. Its not the RPG.

I'd have to disagree. One of the things that differentiate board games from pen and paper RPGs is how the components create that world for you. The game has excellent looking board tiles, but fell flat for me when it comes to explaining what was going on. This is one of the strengths of Flying Frog games, especially ATOE and FANG - the game gives you an idea why you're rolling your dice, and doesn't require you to come up with your own idea. Like that card for discovering a secret passage - the card tells you that you're looking for it, that passing the Cunning test means you found it, which explains the results.

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, I just don't share the same enthusiasm that you have. To each his own, I guess? Watchmen02

ad last paragraph

- just watch the movie they have prepared, and you will catch the game theme Zombie17

as for the rest I generally agree. board gaming is an expensive hobby. believe me I know. I own 130+ boxes
06-24-2013, 06:31 PM
Let me just add that this is not a game that you should play with your wife/girlfriend. I played this with my girlfriend twice, going through Scenarios 1 and 2. She didn't like that I left her behind on both occasions. But I didn't have much of a choice - lingering would eat up the Lockdown tokens and not give her enough time to make it to the exits. She even made it to the elevators (very close shave during the second game) but alas, she didn't take it kindly that I ran like hell to the exits without waiting for her.
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
hahaha, true indeed. its cooperative until its too late Watchmen02
06-24-2013, 08:19 PM
I remembered what I wanted to say about Level 7: It feels like grown up, reflavored "Zombies!!!" to me. But many elements of the game are still the same.
06-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Level 7 -is one of those games I checked out & didn't buy. It looked cool at first flush but the Theme
never quite grabbed me.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-16-2013, 08:40 AM
and I`m waiting for an expansion + escape 2