Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Light vs Dark??
06-24-2008, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2008 01:38 AM by Canadian Pittbull.)
RE: Light vs Dark??
zombie67 Wrote:
Canadian Pittbull Wrote:Actually a bit of mixed media and they are all scratch built. Some of the smaller buildings are made of balsa wood where as some of the larger buildings are made with cardboard so I can get more of a feeling of height and that there are more floors in the building without having to build them. I use cardboard for the bases and then for those buildings that have steps or stairs I will raise those buildings up on a 1/2 inch base to give the look of a exposed foundation.

I made the full board instead of L shapes with a centre since it allows for the original boards to be drawn a random and then just place the buildings needed on the larger scale version. The board is 4ft x 4ft. centre of town is 8" x 8" squares and the L shaped boards have 4" x 4" squares. So it works out well and as far as the Mansion square is will be built as a separate terrain piece with 4" x 4" squares. and the Mansion built onto that piece.

Once all the buildings are done I will go back and fill them in with all the bits found in the original game boards artwork. I figured as long as the buildings were done we could still play on the scale board and I could work away at the the small bits later.

I will get some pics up soon just to show you some progress in what I am doing. Give you all some idears if you feel inspired to take on the daunting task yourself.

Good luck with it all CP!

I think a few work in progress shot would be could and you could update them until we get the finished article!

You are now making me think could I do something similar, with a large off-cut of wood I have got...hmmm, may get back on this one!

Well If you want something lighter I took two pieces of Styrofoam, the kind that is use for insulation in houses (comes in blue) SM brand that is 1.5" thick.

http://building.dow.com/styrofoam/na/res...oam/sm.htm

Not sure where you are but this stuff works like a charm cause you can sync two up together and then glue at the seam (I also used toothpicks with glue to help with the bond (essentially Pinning it). I am thinking of mounting the board at a later date on either some heavy duty cardboard or I might go with a piece of ply. Just trying to keep it light. Also with the Styrofoam you can mark it all out and then make grooves where the lines are then base it in white acrylic primer and then dry brushed with green your lines will come up and thus showing your squares then just go square by square and add glue and flock. I also added some rough spots with wall mud so I could create the muddy spots found on the original board art. make sure to paint that all in first before adding the flock.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Canadian Pittbull Wrote:Well If you want something lighter I took two pieces of Styrofoam, the kind that is use for insulation in houses (comes in blue) SM brand that is 1.5" thick.

Not sure where you are but this stuff works like a charm cause you can sync two up together and then glue at the seam (I also used toothpicks with glue to help with the bond (essentially Pinning it). I am thinking of mounting the board at a later date on either some heavy duty cardboard or I might go with a piece of ply. Just trying to keep it light. Also with the Styrofoam you can mark it all out and then make grooves where the lines are then base it in white acrylic primer and then dry brushed with green your lines will come up and thus showing your squares then just go square by square and add glue and flock. I also added some rough spots with wall mud so I could create the muddy spots found on the original board art. make sure to paint that all in first before adding the flock.

Thanks for the tips.

I am in the South West of England, in sunny (well it's actually night at the mo) Devon. I am sure I can get Styrofoam of some kind.

May have to give this serious consideration.

Again good luck with yours.
06-24-2008, 01:57 AM
zombie67 Wrote:
Canadian Pittbull Wrote:Well If you want something lighter I took two pieces of Styrofoam, the kind that is use for insulation in houses (comes in blue) SM brand that is 1.5" thick.

Thanks for the tips.

I am in the South West of England, in sunny (well it's actually night at the mo) Devon. I am sure I can get Styrofoam of some kind.

May have to give this serious consideration.

Again good luck with yours.

Thanks for the luck (I'm gonna need it) and I can give suggestions or help when needed if you decide on attempting this yourself.

06-24-2008, 07:35 AM
zombie67 Wrote:
Canadian Pittbull Wrote:Actually a bit of mixed media and they are all scratch built. Some of the smaller buildings are made of balsa wood where as some of the larger buildings are made with cardboard so I can get more of a feeling of height and that there are more floors in the building without having to build them. I use cardboard for the bases and then for those buildings that have steps or stairs I will raise those buildings up on a 1/2 inch base to give the look of a exposed foundation.

I made the full board instead of L shapes with a centre since it allows for the original boards to be drawn a random and then just place the buildings needed on the larger scale version. The board is 4ft x 4ft. centre of town is 8" x 8" squares and the L shaped boards have 4" x 4" squares. So it works out well and as far as the Mansion square is will be built as a separate terrain piece with 4" x 4" squares. and the Mansion built onto that piece.

Once all the buildings are done I will go back and fill them in with all the bits found in the original game boards artwork. I figured as long as the buildings were done we could still play on the scale board and I could work away at the the small bits later.

I will get some pics up soon just to show you some progress in what I am doing. Give you all some idears if you feel inspired to take on the daunting task yourself.

I think a few work in progress shot would be could and you could update them until we get the finished article!

You are now making me think could I do something similar, with a large off-cut of wood I have got...hmmm, may get back on this one!

I also like to use foam core material for my buildings. Nice papery oustides with a faom center. Easy to cut, sculpt and STURDY. I use it to make my Warhammer terrain. Cheap at any hardware or specialty store.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-25-2008, 06:26 AM
energizercoony Wrote:
zombie67 Wrote:

I also like to use foam core material for my buildings. Nice papery oustides with a faom center. Easy to cut, sculpt and STURDY. I use it to make my Warhammer terrain. Cheap at any hardware or specialty store.

Foamcore is nice but it is expensive this way. So I opted for the Balsa wood and carboard. The buildings are coming. I hope to get these last bunch for the first set of 4 L shape board buildings. Just have the Highschool walls, Barn Walls, Farmhouse and Hospital walls to get together. I find the waiting for stuff to dry before gluing on the next bit a pain.

08-17-2008, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2008 12:50 PM by Old Dwarf.)
An update from GenCon via BGG:

Patrick Reynolds
(pkreynolds)

-In other Last Night on Earth news, the Flying Frog guys said that they'd be resolving the mixed up coloring issues on the original run of the game (the tiles for the expansion didn't match the original games) by making reprinted tiles available for a "low price" on their website. I was happy to hear that, since I'm a game snob and the mismatched tiles were the only thing keeping me from buying the Growing Hunger expansion. I'll now be picking up a copy as soon as I can get a set of the recolored tiles.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Being another game snob I probably pick these up when available:P

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
08-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I wonder if it's the terrain tiles only, or all of them -- because I find it more problematic that the backs of the hero cards expansion/non-expansion are different.
08-17-2008, 05:59 PM
mqstout Wrote:I wonder if it's the terrain tiles only, or all of them -- because I find it more problematic that the backs of the hero cards expansion/non-expansion are different.

There is no difference with the backs of my cards.
But I don't like the lighter look in general.
08-17-2008, 08:52 PM
I guess I was lucky, as there is no discernible difference between my game boards.